San Antonio Formula Interpretation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LVKE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure you have all heard of the San Antonio Formula used to get a gauge on your GPA/DAT for various dental schools. I just got my DAT score yesterday (what a relief :clap:) and have been trying to get a feel for how I'll be looking for the upcoming cycle. The formula is as follows:

sGPA * (AA/30 *4) + oGPA

DAT scores yesterday,
PAT: 20
QR: 19
RC: 22
Bio: 23
GC: 20
OC: 20
TS: 22
AA: 21

Therefore, my output with a 3.65 sGPA, 3.61 oGPA is 14.32. Does this mean I should have a decent shot at any school at 14.3 and lower? Obviously this is only taking into account 2 of the various aspects taken into account, but I'd just like to get an idea as to where I sit academically. Any help is appreciated! And good luck to all my fellow applicants this upcoming cycle

Lvke

Table 2-10. 2015 Ranking of DS Based on a Modified San Antonio Formula

Ps. - anyone applying to IU, does anyone know if the shadowing hours is 40 or 100? It's said 40 since I began this journey 3 years ago, but now some people on SDN are saying 100? Website still says 40, just curious as to where the 100 came from.

Members don't see this ad.

That formula isn't very popular at all, but your stats are competitive . You'll get in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
That formula isn't very popular at all, but your stats are competitive . You'll get in somewhere.

I was not sure if it would be or not, but thank you for the reply. Glad to hear, I'm excited for the Fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
That formula seems a bit out-dated. The current one we use, at least on SDN, is as follows:

[(# cavities + # posts on SDN) / (# times you considered medicine or pharmacy)] * sqrt(# D-schools in your state)

So go eat a bunch of sugar, don't brush/floss, post on SDN like it's your job, and pray you have an in-state dental school because otherwise there's no way you're going to make it.

(You'll be fine.)

Reactions: 1 users
That formula seems a bit out-dated. The current one we use, at least on SDN, is as follows:

[(# cavities + # posts on SDN) / (# times you considered medicine or pharmacy)] * sqrt(# D-schools in your state)

So go eat a bunch of sugar, don't brush/floss, post on SDN like it's your job, and pray you have an in-state dental school because otherwise there's no way you're going to make it.

(You'll be fine.)
Thank you for the kind response, my calculation as follows:

[ 1 cavity * 7 posts ] / [ 0 times considering med or pharm * sqrt of 1 school in Indiana] = undefined. Sorry, your formula sucks.

Lol this is funny!

[ 1 cavity * 7 posts ] / [ 0 times considering med or pharm * sqrt of 1 school in Indiana] = undefined. Sorry, your formula sucks.

HAHAHAHA, this is even funnier!!!

Would you happen to be privy on how ds pre select their applicants?

Would you happen to be privy on how ds pre select their applicants?
Most pre-dents have no clue what that formula is, hence the "unpopular." I never mentioned dental schools.

Most pre-dents have no clue what that formula is, hence the "unpopular." I never mentioned dental schools.
Isn't there a difference between ignorance and unpopular? As if it really matters.

If you aren't able to divide by 0, how are you expecting to get into dental school? psh :D

I see doc t is still parsing like its his/her day and night job. Dedication, I guess...

Reactions: 4 users
Anything that requires an effort is "unpopular" on SDN, like perusing the ADEA Official Guide, the Guide, the school's website and the posts designed to assess one's strength and weakness as a dental school applicant.

Anything that requires an effort is "unpopular" on SDN, like perusing the ADEA Official Guide, the Guide, the school's website and the posts designed to assess one's strength and weakness as a dental school applicant.
what is your point here exactly?