San Diego no evening classes.very pissed..help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medfan303

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to take organic chemistry 1 & 2 and the labs and other prereqs. I'm having a VERY tough time finding classes near/around San Diego that offer them in the evening..I work full time for 40-60 hours a week as an engineer...

CSU San Marcos offers an Organic Chem I class MWF from 9-950AM but the problem is that the lab is offered from 12PM-5:45PM on a weekday. Would it matter that I just take the lecture and not the lab? Maybe take the lab later on at a different school?

This is so ******ed, SDSU, UCSD, CSUSM all offer classes in the day time (usually 10AM-5PM)..on weekdays.

-Medfan :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I need to take organic chemistry 1 & 2 and the labs and other prereqs. I'm having a VERY tough time finding classes near/around San Diego that offer them in the evening..I work full time for 40-60 hours a week as an engineer...

CSU San Marcos offers an Organic Chem I class MWF from 9-950AM but the problem is that the lab is offered from 12PM-5:45PM on a weekday. Would it matter that I just take the lecture and not the lab? Maybe take the lab later on at a different school?

This is so ******ed, SDSU, UCSD, CSUSM all offer classes in the day time (usually 10AM-5PM)..on weekdays.

-Medfan :(

california isn't the best state to be in right now. with that said, i don't think it would be too detrimental if you tried to take the classes at a CC. Most adcoms will probably understand why, and with a little explanation you should be just fine.

good luck man, i feel your pain.

Yeah, a lot of state schools aren't very friendly to non-traditional students trying to study undergraduate courses. California might be different, but in my state, it's actually not that uncommon at all to take the O Chem labs later than the lectures. O Chem labs are 2 credit hours at my institution (perhaps that's universal?), so many students take the labs in the summer, or some other variation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grossmont CC has an excellent chem program both in gchem and ochem. They also like to do many evening classes. Mesa also had ochem classes in the evening too, but I don't know a lot about it cause I did not go there there. I'd stay away from taking it at ucsd cause it really does suck there imo, and it is hard to get into since they offer one class of each ochem level per quarter, if that sometimes.

oh and the labs are combined with the lectures at grossmont so it is convenient.

Grossmont CC has an excellent chem program both in gchem and ochem. They also like to do many evening classes. Mesa also had ochem classes in the evening too, but I don't know a lot about it cause I did not go there there. I'd stay away from taking it at ucsd cause it really does suck there imo, and it is hard to get into since they offer one class of each ochem level per quarter, if that sometimes.

oh and the labs are combined with the lectures at grossmont so it is convenient.

UCSD usually has something like 3 or 4 ochem classes a quarter if you take them at the right time. This winter quarter there should be that number of ochem classes. Usually one is offered in the evening.

A quick check on the registration page shows that there are 3 classes of Ochem A (1/3) this winter with one starting at 6:30pm. There are 4 ochem B classes including Honors Ochem B this quarter as well.

You don't need to take the labs concurrently.

UCSD usually has something like 3 or 4 ochem classes a quarter if you take them at the right time. This winter quarter there should be that number of ochem classes. Usually one is offered in the evening.

A quick check on the registration page shows that there are 3 classes of Ochem A (1/3) this winter with one starting at 6:30pm. There are 4 ochem B classes including Honors Ochem B this quarter as well.

You don't need to take the labs concurrently.

Then ucsd has got its act together and scheduled more ochem lectures; that is not how it was when I was regestering for ochem. I still advise not taking it at ucsd because the quality of the program is not great at all.

You should check out one of the CC. I've taken some classes at Mesa that were pretty good. Also, if you can take the lab later at CSU San Marcos then it shouldn't be a problem. I took the O-chem lecture last year and I'm taking the lab next quarter at UCSD. Alot of students take the lab after the lecture, it's no big deal.

I'm not sure how you intend to get into classes at all of these schools you listed. . . I thought you had to be registered at the school to take classes. I'm sure you have that worked out though. Also, the classes at UCSD are great and I'm not sure why the guy above said to avoid them. Especially since UCSD is by far the best school in San Diego county. In fact it is on a whole other level from the schools in your list.

Last edited:
Hey all, thanks for the responses...I'm hesitant to take it at community colleges, since I'm not sure how med school advisors would see it (seems hit or miss to me). There is one section of an evening class available at UCSD but it is already waitlisted like crazy.

Most of the schools in San Diego area and other UC / CSU schools allow you to be a concurrent enrollment student (visiting). e.g. You can sign up for any undergrad or grad class, as long as it isn't waitlisted/full. I tried getting into an evening class at UCSD last quarter and failed because it was too packed with students.

Thanks for the responses :) At this point I am also considering just studying Orgo on my own (my dad is an organic chemist) since that's the only premed req left for the MCAT...or I may take it at CSU san marcos and just avoid the lab altogether until I have time..

How important do you guys think doing the lab is for the MCAT? Do the labs actually help? Or is it mainly just the theory that you need to know? Thanks!

save yourself the trouble, take it at community college. Try Miramar or City College. You won't regret it.

I took O-chem at UCSD and got grey hairs.

The state of CA atm is

:boom: :boom:

Signing up for classes MUST be done the 1st available time or you risk not getting into a needed class. My GF used to sign me up for all my classes, but this state financial problem has even gotten me to start doing this myself. I guess better late than never.

I wish I had found this thread sooner but I thought I had this exact same situation resolved only to find out the school I was going with doesn't have organic chem next semester in the evenings...

jumping through hoops now to find a CC I can get into quickly and get this taken care of.