San Diego State University JDP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurgeoningPhD2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody applied to the Joint Doctoral Program at San Diego State University/UC-San Diego?

or

Are you currently enrolled at this program?

I was wondering how to best apply with low GRE, but with the intention to retake. I recently took the GRE, score below minimum. However, I could take the exam and obtain unofficial scores prior to the deadline, do these scores mean anything? I feel that my performance on test is not indicative of my ability. And would like to retake the test. The GRE is by far the weakest part of my application.

SDSU is my top choice, however, has anybody had similar, or know someone with similar experiences? (i.e. applying, and submitting scores past deadline).

Thanks!

BURGE

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody applied to the Joint Doctoral Program at San Diego State University/UC-San Diego?

SDSU is incredibly competitive. Their outcome data lists a 3.5% acceptance rate last year for their clinical psychology program. I'm not sure if this includes the Ph.D/J.D. program, but I'm not sure the rate would be any higher. If you don't have a stellar GPA + GRE + research experience…you probably aren't going to get an interview with them.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel that my performance on test is not indicative of my ability. And would like to retake the test. The GRE is by far the weakest part of my application.

I think most people feel this way, or I certainly did. I applied straight out of undergrad with a 311 combined GRE score and was not accepted. My score is 317 now, so hopefully that helps. The UC system is extremely competitive, and I do believe that they use an informal, not posted, GRE cut-off and sort of parcel out the applications that don't meet it and they do not read them unless you've established a relationship with a professor, or have done something that would make them grab you out of that "do not read" pile.

I can't say for certain that is what SDSU/UCSD does, but I did interview at a top Ph.D. program that was similar to SDSU/UCSD and they DID do that. They let me know that my GRE score was so low I was in a little do not read pile, but because I had been having really good conversations with my POI for months before application time, he pulled my app out of it. In the end, if I was accepted, they were going to have to write some sort of a letter for me to the grad division saying that despite my low GRE scores, I will be accepted into the program, blah blah blah. I actually interviewed extremely poorly so it never even got to that point, haha.

Anyway, best of luck. The worst they can do is say no. Apply anyway, and if you don't get in, ask for feedback, and follow the feedback and reapply next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SDSU is incredibly competitive. Their outcome data lists a 3.5% acceptance rate last year for their clinical psychology program. I'm not sure if this includes the Ph.D/J.D. program, but I'm not sure the rate would be any higher. If you don't have a stellar GPA + GRE + research experience…you probably aren't going to get an interview with them.

Thanks for your input!

I think most people feel this way, or I certainly did. I applied straight out of undergrad with a 311 combined GRE score and was not accepted. My score is 317 now, so hopefully that helps. The UC system is extremely competitive, and I do believe that they use an informal, not posted, GRE cut-off and sort of parcel out the applications that don't meet it and they do not read them unless you've established a relationship with a professor, or have done something that would make them grab you out of that "do not read" pile.

I can't say for certain that is what SDSU/UCSD does, but I did interview at a top Ph.D. program that was similar to SDSU/UCSD and they DID do that. They let me know that my GRE score was so low I was in a little do not read pile, but because I had been having really good conversations with my POI for months before application time, he pulled my app out of it. In the end, if I was accepted, they were going to have to write some sort of a letter for me to the grad division saying that despite my low GRE scores, I will be accepted into the program, blah blah blah. I actually interviewed extremely poorly so it never even got to that point, haha.

Anyway, best of luck. The worst they can do is say no. Apply anyway, and if you don't get in, ask for feedback, and follow the feedback and reapply next year.

Thanks for your feedback modestmousktr! I'm going for it, when the fit is right, the fit is right.

Reactions: 1 user