San Gabriel Valley MCAT Study Group?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velodork

luctor et emergo
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone in the SGV interested in forming a study group? I figure at the very least having someone to share the cost of various prep material sources would be awesome. I'm currently finishing UG at Cal Poly Pomona but I live/work in the Pasadena area.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in SGV area. Rosemead area I'm down. PM! I've finished UG at UCR a few years back. doing informal postbac.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice. When do you want to take the test? Right now I'm planning on a July date. I already purchased the entire EK study set as well for the new exam.

...I've already begun light review so I could potentially be ready to meet very soon even though full study mode won't be until ~March.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would want to take it in April. I'm using a lot of the old material but will probably be purchasing the tpr psych/soc and a biochem book.

i remember you posting about the old mcat a while back (who could forget such a warm avatar) - did you ultimately end up taking it? If so, I'm in somewhat of a comparable situation having just taken the old exam. I'd rather not touch the new with classes to go, but if the situation dictates it then I have to essentially do what I have to do.

I've taken the mcat in 2012 but voided it. Recently, I've been contemplating taking the Jan 23th test, but haven't had decent aamc practice test scores to warrant taking the current mcat. I'm about 1/2 way through my content review and I've only scored low 20's on several aamcs. My friends and sdn have validated the idea of your actual mcat score being the average of your later practice tests. With that in mind I opted to bite the bullet and wait a few months to take the new mcat.

Long story short, if you aren't averaging even close to what you want on your practice tests then I would not recommend taking it.

Sdn has mentioned that the old material should be more than sufficient with the new mcat as long as the material matches what is on aamc's outline.

Reactions: 1 user