Program-Specific Info / Q's San Jose State MSOT Fall 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeOTinCA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just got an email back from SJSU saying that they are going to start sending acceptance letters in December. Let me know if anyone here gets a more specific date/timeline from them!

I just got an email back from SJSU saying that they are going to start sending acceptance letters in December. Let me know if anyone here gets a more specific date/timeline from them!

UGGHHHHH DECEMBER? hehe. Early december? Late december?! Ahhhhhh! I am going to also start bugging SJSU so we can all get some info and compile it here :D

Members don't see this ad :)
UGGHHHHH DECEMBER? hehe. Early december? Late december?! Ahhhhhh! I am going to also start bugging SJSU so we can all get some info and compile it here :D
Yes! If enough of us call, maybe they'll give us a specific date. I talked to someone who was accepted last year and she said they gave her a date range and it ended up being very accurate.

So the date range I was given was mid to late december! And they also just recently started to review the apps! Umm I asked a few questions, here are the answers
1. No preference given to instate
2. Equal weight on all parts of your application
3. Expecting about 600 applications (that was last year so probably more this year..)
4. Have about a month to accept the seat if you're offered , then you have until next fall to complete any of your pre reqs
5. It is okay if your app to the grad office is not complete, they will make decisions on the app you submit to the OT dept and then after that they'll confirm with the grad office app

That is all I got. Not too much new info there but at least we don't need to start worrying for another 3 weeks!

Thanks so much for starting this thread! It seems like in past years applicants have started to hear back around Thanksgiving, so it's interesting they're saying mid to late December.

So the date range I was given was mid to late december! And they also just recently started to review the apps! Umm I asked a few questions, here are the answers
!

Thanks for posting those!

I've spoken with 4-5 people about the applications and pretty much everyone had some technical difficulty with the application itself. Ex:
some people didn't get the memo that we needed to send in unofficial transcripts
another had to deal with a miscommunication in which the office manager (and not an OTR) filled out an evaluation
a psych major got in trouble because she had tested out of her school's "intro to psych".... etc.

Maybe all of that drama is part of the delay.

Thanks for posting those!

I've spoken with 4-5 people about the applications and pretty much everyone had some technical difficulty with the application itself. Ex:
some people didn't get the memo that we needed to send in unofficial transcripts
another had to deal with a miscommunication in which the office manager (and not an OTR) filled out an evaluation
a psych major got in trouble because she had tested out of her school's "intro to psych".... etc.

Maybe all of that drama is part of the delay.
Yeah their requirements were a little confusing.. But the info/admission sessions were super helpful. All of those types of questions got answered. I don't think I would have known what to do if I didn't go. Mid to late December is so far from now

At the advising session they said they are hoping to take 80 people this year. They had budget cuts last year, so they couldn't take that many. Cross your fingers that they take 80 and we have a 13% chance of acceptance! :bang:

Reactions: 1 user
Are you guys actually able to get in touch with them? I've heard they tend to lose a lot of documents and wanted to make sure they had everything of mine

Are you guys actually able to get in touch with them? I've heard they tend to lose a lot of documents and wanted to make sure they had everything of mine
I have spoken to someone at the OT department several times. I spoke to someone on the phone on October 1st to verify that my application was turned in on that day. Since then, there were some mixups with my paperwork that I took care of with an admissions assistant. We have been emailing back-and-forth for several weeks now and finally got it resolved. I would definitely recommend emailing the OT department and making sure that all of your paperwork is in and your application is complete. You can also find out the date it was complete so that you know roughly where your application falls in terms of when it will be reviewed

Members don't see this ad :)
It's December, I'm ready to hear back now, ahh!!

Is this anyone else's top choice? I'm dying. I wish they called us as soon as they made a decision on our app. Mail takes so long!

Is this anyone else's top choice? I'm dying. I wish they called us as soon as they made a decision on our app. Mail takes so long!

Did they say they would mail their decision? I just assumed it would be by email!

Did they say they would mail their decision? I just assumed it would be by email!
Everything I have seen has said 'letter in the mail', so I assume its just mail. :(

@10ninja if you call the dept and ask, they'll usually give you a timeline for when they'll start sending letters. I, along with a couple others, have called already. I got "in december". @aama0616a got "mid to late december". If you call in this week, they may have an even more accurate timeline for you.. and then you can share with us :happy:

It's one of my top choices as well!! I asked the grad assistant for a timeline and I was told "anywhere from December to April" o_O Makes sense, since it's rolling admissions, but I hope we hear back asap!

Hi everyone,

Do you guys know if OTCAS calculates the last 60 units of our GPA? I ask because I received an email from Dream Chew (SJSU's Graduate Admissions Assistant) saying that they did not receive such a calculation. My application was verified on 11/16 and when I look at my SJSU application on OTCAS, it shows various GPA calculations by subject/year/school/baccalaureate/Post-bac/overall, but there is no designation for a final 60 unit GPA. All of my information was entered in properly (I called OTCAS to verify this). Has anyone received a similar email?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :yuck:

Hi everyone,

Do you guys know if OTCAS calculates the last 60 units of our GPA? I ask because I received an email from Dream Chew (SJSU's Graduate Admissions Assistant) saying that they did not receive such a calculation. My application was verified on 11/16 and when I look at my SJSU application on OTCAS, it shows various GPA calculations by subject/year/school/baccalaureate/Post-bac/overall, but there is no designation for a final 60 unit GPA. All of my information was entered in properly (I called OTCAS to verify this). Has anyone received a similar email?

That's weird... I definitely do not have a "final 60" or anything to do with last 60 credit GPA. I assumed they just looked at the dates and calculated it like that. I haven't gotten an email from Dream about it. I have 1. Freshman 2. Sophomore 3. Junior 4. Senior 5. Baccalaureate 6. Graduate 7. Post-baccalaureate 8. Cumulative Undergrad and 9. Overall. And then by subject and by School.

@wannabeOTinCA

That's what my profile shows as well. Huh, that has me wondering why they would bother to email me in the first place? Strange. Well, I responded to Dream's email, but I have yet to receive a response. Thank you for responding to my post!

Hi @10ninja

I called OTCAS and they seemed confused at my inquiry of "last 60 units." Honestly, they were less than cordial, but they did confirm that my grades/classes were in order. If you do call them, please post their response!

Hi everyone,

Hi, I got the same email from Dream Chew and am in the same situation you are in. I have yet to receive a reply from Dream as well. Keep me posted if you get any emails with additional information! I'll do the same :)

Hi, I got the same email from Dream Chew and am in the same situation you are in. I have yet to receive a reply from Dream as well. Keep me posted if you get any emails with additional information! I'll do the same :)

I'm sorry you're going through the same issue as me! But, I'm glad we're not alone at least!! Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'll definitely post again if/when I hear anything.

Now I'm a little nervous that I don't have an email from her! This waiting game is the worst.

Now I'm a little nervous that I don't have an email from her! This waiting game is the worst.
I don't either. I think it is okay, though. They would email us if there was a problem. I have never heard of the 60 units thing being a problem. It may have to do with transcripts or something. Just stay positive and know that if anything, this means they are reviewing our applications!

Reactions: 2 users
I got an email back from Dream Chew saying everything is set for review. I think there was some confusion on their end. Regardless, good luck everyone!

Hi everyone! I just spoke to Dream Chew this morning regarding the neuroanatomy prereq and I thought I would share the info I received. I have not taken this prereq yet and I was planning on taking the online course offered by SJSU if I am admitted. I know that enrollment in this course is not guaranteed, so I have definitely been worried about not getting into this course. UCLA extension offers Functional Neuroanatomy in the spring. Registration begins February 1st and the course is offered online from March 28th-June 19th. The course is 4 quarter units and costs $825. According to Dream, this course DOES meet the SJSU requirement. It's just another option for everyone, but I thought this might help some of you! Good luck everyone!

Thank you so much @hhOT ! That is helpful. I'll definitely be registering for the UCLA version (if I happen to get an acceptance to SJSU in the next couple of weeks) :clap:

I'm so anxious. I check my mailbox like 5 times a day.

Just wanted to pass along some info from the admissions counselor at an informational session I attended . Last year they had 2 spaces open up at the end of summer and no one from the wait list could take the spaces because they had not completed the neuroanatomy class! So, if you get waitlisted keep that in mind.

It's mid december... anyone hear anything yet? They have to be getting ready to send out the first batch of acceptances!

It's mid december... anyone hear anything yet? They have to be getting ready to send out the first batch of acceptances!
Not yet, but I have a good feeling about this week! Unfortunately they won't release an admissions decision to me if they make one until GAPE gets my fall transcripts (which should be next week). But I'm getting pretty anxious!

Not yet, but I have a good feeling about this week! Unfortunately they won't release an admissions decision to me if they make one until GAPE gets my fall transcripts (which should be next week). But I'm getting pretty anxious!

Oh man... I didn't know they didn't release decisions until fall transcripts are in! :( I guess it's good because I did well this final semester, but I was really hoping to find out ASAP!

Oh man... I didn't know they didn't release decisions until fall transcripts are in! :( I guess it's good because I did well this final semester, but I was really hoping to find out ASAP!
I'm not sure if these grades will factor into our admissions decision since we have already submitted the application to the OT department... I haven't been able to find that out. My status on MySJSU is "Incomplete-Documents Required". Once the OT department makes a decision they check with GAPE to make sure you application is complete and you meet minimum university requirements before they release their decision. Not having your fall grades in yet won't hurt your chances, but it may delay receiving an admissions decision. So no worries! We just have to find ways to distract ourselves from the agony of waiting like this :(

Funny that you guys posted just now. At this very moment I was lurking around reading the old SJSU acceptance threads on when applicants heard back from the OT department haha

I called over a month ago to make sure my application was complete. I finally got a call back on Thursday evening saying I was missing a few hours and needed to get an OT to verify those hours were completed before they could mark my application as complete. I'm super frustrated because I was verified 10/12 yet my application won't be marked as complete till mid- December sometime! I probably won't be hearing back for a while :(

I called over a month ago to make sure my application was complete. I finally got a call back on Thursday evening saying I was missing a few hours and needed to get an OT to verify those hours were completed before they could mark my application as complete. I'm super frustrated because I was verified 10/12 yet my application won't be marked as complete till mid- December sometime! I probably won't be hearing back for a while :(

Missing the minimum suggested amount? Or was there a discrepancy between what you reported on otcas compared to hours submitted on the evaluation form?

That's horrible! They should give you a couple of days to get whatever you need, and then keep your app completed date as 10/12, or at the very least, the date you called them. I have found that I hear back much faster when I email Dream (the grad assistant) than when I call.

That's horrible! They should give you a couple of days to get whatever you need, and then keep your app completed date as 10/12, or at the very least, the date you called them. I have found that I hear back much faster when I email Dream (the grad assistant) than when I call.
Dream has been great! She answers every question so quickly (sometimes even at midnight) and has been so helpful!

I thought that we could get a conditional acceptance without applying to GAPE. I was waiting to do it until my fall transcripts were cleared so I didn't have send so many updates.

Missing the minimum suggested amount? Or was there a discrepancy between what you reported on otcas compared to hours submitted on the evaluation form?

I was missing the minimum suggested hours, but that was only on the sheet you had to get signed by the OT. I said I completed 35 hours under her (you need 40). But the other sheet where you list all of the hours you've shadowed OT's said I had 180 hours, so I thought that would cover it!

I thought that we could get a conditional acceptance without applying to GAPE. I was waiting to do it until my fall transcripts were cleared so I didn't have send so many updates.
I'm not sure… I know you have to apply to GAPE. I would just do it as soon as possible

I was missing the minimum suggested hours, but that was only on the sheet you had to get signed by the OT. I said I completed 35 hours under her (you need 40). But the other sheet where you list all of the hours you've shadowed OT's said I had 180 hours, so I thought that would cover it!

Argh, that's so frustrating :(

Did anyone send transcripts to the OT department (in addition to OTCAS and GAPE)? In one of our emails Dream said to send unofficial transcripts to the OT department, but I didn't see this on the SJSU website

@hhOT I didn't send unofficial transcripts to the department. From what I read on SJSU's website, transcripts get sent to GAPE, right? When I emailed Dream asking her to review my file and make sure everything is complete, she did confirm that I turned in everything on my end.

@hhOT I didn't send unofficial transcripts to the department. From what I read on SJSU's website, transcripts get sent to GAPE, right? When I emailed Dream asking her to review my file and make sure everything is complete, she did confirm that I turned in everything on my end.
Two different people have told me that my application was complete in October, but when I was discussing taking the neuroanatomy prereq at a different place, she said "be sure to send unofficial transcripts to the OT department". Maybe it is just if you take classes after applying? So confusing!

Did anyone send transcripts to the OT department (in addition to OTCAS and GAPE)? In one of our emails Dream said to send unofficial transcripts to the OT department, but I didn't see this on the SJSU website
I sent official transcripts directly from my schools to GAPE. I also included transcripts sent to me, from each of my colleges, in my application packet that I sent to the OT department. I just did everything I could think of, because it seemed like last year a lot of people were missing things. Also, in the advising session at SJSU, they gave us a breakdown of everything needed and where each thing should go. I found that to be WAY more helpful than the site or the checklist, as it seemed like they mentioned quite a few things at the session that weren't listed on the site.