San Juan Bautista School of Medicine Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B727

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I figured I would start this thread... Just wondering who else is out there and any questions/concerns about starting medical school at SJB SOM this July?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm accepted into the 2016 class. Are you a current student?

Hi, I'm accepted into the 2016 class. Are you a current student?

No, I've been accepted into the 2016 class as well. Are u from the mainland or are you a current PR resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've also been accepted to the class of 2016. I'm from the mainland (NYC). Where is everyone planning on living? When are you planning on heading to Caguas?

I've also been accepted to the class of 2016. I'm from the mainland (NYC). Where is everyone planning on living? When are you planning on heading to Caguas?

I'm from mainland (GA). I'll probably be heading to PR sometime in June... depends on when the first day of class is. I doubt that I'll make any decision on housing until after I am there..

I live in the mainland (Bronx), but my parents live in PR. Not sure if I'll get a place close to school or live with them for a little bit. I'll probably leave NY in June. Does anybody know when the white coat ceremony is? Last year it was on June 30, I think.

I was also accepted... but am extremely nervous about this accreditation stuff... :scared:
Is anyone who got accepted going to attend regardless?

I was also accepted... but am extremely nervous about this accreditation stuff... :scared:
Is anyone who got accepted going to attend regardless?

I'm definitely nervous about the accreditation issue, but I'm hoping it will work out. Hopefully we will find out in June what the LCME's actions will be after their last visit.

You kids keeping up on the accreditation fiasco? Seems like playing with fire to choose to go there now.

So what do you know about the accreditation fiasco? And as an attending.. what would your view/concerns be on having an SJB student come to your program? What type of specialty do you work in? This will just help us have a broader view of the issues we may face as students at SJB SOM... Thanks!

I'm definitely nervous about the accreditation issue, but I'm hoping it will work out. Hopefully we will find out in June what the LCME's actions will be after their last visit.

keeping my fingers crossed!!! :D

So what do you know about the accreditation fiasco? And as an attending.. what would your view/concerns be on having an SJB student come to your program? What type of specialty do you work in? This will just help us have a broader view of the issues we may face as students at SJB SOM... Thanks!

I would love to hear your response as well...

Was anyone else told that they are lacking some credits (in whatever subject) with their acceptance letter? And have until May 31 to fulfill them? :confused: I tried contacting Mrs. Sanchez to ask about it but got no response... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry you got that in your acceptance. I had a similar situation, but with a different school, and I was going to take a online course with University of Phoenix (which you can complete in a relatively short period of time) because I asked the school and they said that online courses are fine as long as the grade shows up in an official transcript. But, again, that was not with this school. Good luck!

I'm sorry you got that in your acceptance. I had a similar situation, but with a different school, and I was going to take a online course with University of Phoenix (which you can complete in a relatively short period of time) because I asked the school and they said that online courses are fine as long as the grade shows up in an official transcript. But, again, that was not with this school. Good luck!

DAMN!! really? :( thanks... ill look into it right away... thanks.

Hey guys, i have also been accepted to this years upcoming class. Congrats to everyone, let's keep our fingers crossed that our future school keeps their accreditation. I spoke with Mrs. Sanchez a few days after the LCME visit, and she mentioned to me that the visit went better than expected.
I am from the mainland, and i am currently looking for where to live in PR, so if you guys have any recommendations or are looking for a roommate let me know! We should start a facebook page or something along those lines so we can get to know each other.

-Estevan

Has anyone gotten their hands on this years match list? I would be really curious to see where the class of 2012 matched.

Hey guys,

I too was accepted to this years entering class and, like many of you, am extremely nervous about this accreditation issue. But, honestly after thinking about the politics in PR, I don't think the LCME will fully de-credit SJB, solely because of politics. I think they'll be placed on a two year probation.

Anyways, Congrats to all of you. Anyone know when classes start or when we have to be down there?

Hi Everyone,

I was also accepted to this year's entering class. Congrats to everyone who was accepted! I'm from NJ - planning on moving to PR in late June. I'm interested in renting an apt in Los Prados (with roommates). Its a great gated community where most SJB students live (10 mins away from school and inexpensive - $1200 for a 3 bedroom). It would be great if we could start a facebook page, its probably the easiest way to find roommates / talk with future classmates.

Let me know what you guys think?

Best,

Alanna

Hi everybody. Congratulations to those accepted to the 2016 class at SJB. I'm a 4th year student at SJB. I'm going to be moving back to the states soon. However, I have some items that I'd like to sell off, if anyone is interested. I know a few students will be coming in from abroad, so this would make it easier and you would save some money.

I have a room that is mostly furnished with the necessities. Twin sized Bed, computer desk, chairs, one-person sofa, portable stands, plastic cabinet, etc. I also have a 2004 Mazda RX-8 manual transmission with a little over 47,000 miles on it. I am asking $12,000 OBO for the car, and $450 for the room items in total. I will include some extra items such as a portable fan, floor lamp, desk lamp, stool chair, etc. I can provide pictures of the items if anyone wants.

The items will be available after the 27th. I am leaving on the 2nd of May, so items will need to be picked up before then. Car registration transfer will be arranged as well.
If anyone is interested, please shoot me an e-mail. [email protected]

I currently am living in Caguas, and am about 5 minutes from the school. So if you have any issues, I can meet you at school and pick you up.

Hi everybody. Congratulations to those accepted to the 2016 class at SJB. I'm a 4th year student at SJB. I'm going to be moving back to the states soon. However, I have some items that I'd like to sell off, if anyone is interested. I know a few students will be coming in from abroad, so this would make it easier and you would save some money.

I have a room that is mostly furnished with the necessities. Twin sized Bed, computer desk, chairs, one-person sofa, portable stands, plastic cabinet, etc. I also have a 2004 Mazda RX-8 manual transmission with a little over 47,000 miles on it. I am asking $12,000 OBO for the car, and $450 for the room items in total. I will include some extra items such as a portable fan, floor lamp, desk lamp, stool chair, etc. I can provide pictures of the items if anyone wants.

The items will be available after the 27th. I am leaving on the 2nd of May, so items will need to be picked up before then. Car registration transfer will be arranged as well.
If anyone is interested, please shoot me an e-mail. [email protected]

I currently am living in Caguas, and am about 5 minutes from the school. So if you have any issues, I can meet you at school and pick you up.

Quick question. Is it absolutely necessary to have a car while down there? or can i walk/bike ride to every where i need to go. I really don't want to buy a car or ship mine down here. Or what do you think about buying a motorcycle?

I also was accepted, but i am waiting on a responce from UCC. Should hear back in a few days!

Quick question. Is it absolutely necessary to have a car while down there? or can i walk/bike ride to every where i need to go. I really don't want to buy a car or ship mine down here. Or what do you think about buying a motorcycle?

Yes, a car is going to be necessary. You're going to be doing a lot of traveling to different areas of the island for hospital work and school related activities. I would not recommend shipping your car over, like I did. It's expensive with the import taxes and shipping fees. You may consider a used car here, but prices here are fairly high since everything is imported. I would not recommend a motorcycle here either. It rains often, and it's very dangerous on the road with all the pot-holes and drivers.

Yes, a car is going to be necessary. You're going to be doing a lot of traveling to different areas of the island for hospital work and school related activities. I would not recommend shipping your car over, like I did. It's expensive with the import taxes and shipping fees. You may consider a used car here, but prices here are fairly high since everything is imported. I would not recommend a motorcycle here either. It rains often, and it's very dangerous on the road with all the pot-holes and drivers.
Thanks for the info! Are you also looking for someone to live in your apartment? If so, where is it? I hear that Turabo Clusters is nice and not as expensive as Los Prados. As a graduating student, do you have any suggestions or comments regarding housing?

Thanks for the info! Are you also looking for someone to live in your apartment? If so, where is it? I hear that Turabo Clusters is nice and not as expensive as Los Prados. As a graduating student, do you have any suggestions or comments regarding housing?

I live in a complex called Vista Real I. It's about 5 minutes from school by car. Closer than Los Prados. Los Prados is going to be the most expensive around the area.
I believe my landlord already has someone that's interested in the apartment. If you're interested, I can ask for you, but I think it'll have to be for at least a 3-year contract, since the other people are already signing a 2 year contract. I would be able to just sell you my stuff in the apartment which will include everything I posted, including some kitchen wares, and miscellaneous stuff if you're interested. email me and I can give you his contact info. [email protected]

I've had a bad experience with housing, and recommend getting an apartment with a roommate to help split the bill.

I live in a complex called Vista Real I. It's about 5 minutes from school by car. Closer than Los Prados. Los Prados is going to be the most expensive around the area.
I believe my landlord already has someone that's interested in the apartment. If you're interested, I can ask for you, but I think it'll have to be for at least a 3-year contract, since the other people are already signing a 2 year contract. I would be able to just sell you my stuff in the apartment which will include everything I posted, including some kitchen wares, and miscellaneous stuff if you're interested. email me and I can give you his contact info. [email protected]

I've had a bad experience with housing, and recommend getting an apartment with a roommate to help split the bill.
Thanks a lot! I'll e-mail you.

Hi Everyone,

I’m looking into renting an apartment in Los Prados to share with two female roommates. According to my research, rent would be approximately $450 - $600 per person (depending on the size of the apartment) –utilities and maintenance included. Please send me an email at [email protected] if you are interested or would like more information.

Thanks!

All the best,

Alanna

I hope you guys know what you are getting yourselves into with the accreditation deal...I can't believe the school is even considering taking in students this year. Just BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!

I hope you guys know what you are getting yourselves into with the accreditation deal...I can't believe the school is even considering taking in students this year. Just BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!

What would you have us do? Better yet, if it were you in my shoes, would you even consider going to SJB if you were accepted to both SJB and Saint George's in Grenada?

Be as harsh and blunt as you need to be, because every day I pray that either Ponce accepts me (off the waiting list) or that SJB retains their accreditation.

What would you have us do? Better yet, if it were you in my shoes, would you even consider going to SJB if you were accepted to both SJB and Saint George's in Grenada?

Be as harsh and blunt as you need to be, because every day I pray that either Ponce accepts me (off the waiting list) or that SJB retains their accreditation.

It seems that people wanting to talk SJB SOM down... Don't have much to say, except for giving a warning! LOL...

I would take niether, work on whatever is weak on my app, and apply again next year.

This is kind of like drinking salt water because nothing else is available and you're desperate. Is it kind of like fresh water? Yes. Is it a horrible idea? Oh yeah.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

It seems that people wanting to talk SJB SOM down... Don't have much to say, except for giving a warning! LOL...

I wasn't talking SJB down. I was just trying to make sure that you knew you were rolling the dice. I can't predict what the AAMC will do but SJB faced a legal battle for survival this year that resulted in a draw. Hard to say what will happen now. Caveat Emptor.

Hey everyone,

I'm glad someone started this blog, it gives us all a chance to communicate before we start this long, but worthwhile journey.

I was recently accepted into SJB for the upcoming fall term (2016). Im originally from Michigan but I have been living in PR for 3 years. If anyone from the states have any questions about life here on the island, I would be more than happy to answer their questions.

To sum up some of the concerns that were mentioned about accreditation in this blog I have been in constant communication with the school and they have informed me that they are on probation(meaning they have not lost accreditation) and they are reforming their curriculum at both the school and participating facilities to the LCME standards. I do not believe the accreditation status will affect the entering class. Accreditation only affects the graduating class and their ability to participate in the Match. If the problem isn't resolved by the end of your second year, one still has the option of transferring to another institution.

I have been asking for a calender of when everything starts and have been given a rough draft of some of the important dates.

June 22nd - Scheduling of classes
June 25-28th - Orientation
June 29th - White Coat
July 3rd-20th -Research/Introduction classes
Classes begin the first Monday in August

Also, I am currently looking for a place to stay. Ive been looking at a place called Sabanera which is located 10 minutes away from the university. Its elevated, breezy, and has a relaxing atmosphere to study, but a bit expensive. I am keeping my options open and looking into all possible alternatives, such as renting out a room, studio apartment, or having housemates ( male or female). If anyone has any questions about the area or are interested in figuring out some type of living situation contact me through the SJB Facebook group or my email.

I look forward to meeting you all.

Erik Soto
[email protected]

@ B727
@ teodio
@ http://forums.studentdoctor.net/member.php?u=194342tiedyeddog
Desperate would be considering going to Mexico or another island school not affiliated with the US that accepts every person who applies. SJB although now well known is strategically located near top medical facilities on the island. Students will have enjoy the experiences of learning not only a second language but cultural medicine. According to the census, Hispanics will make up over 35% in the next 10-15 years. Hispanic families are growing at a pace of 3:1 in the states, and an opportunity to study on an island and surrounding yourself with that language can only be beneficial in future medical endeavors. Go where you feel comfortable.

-Soto

Was anyone else told that they are lacking some credits (in whatever subject) with their acceptance letter? And have until May 31 to fulfill them? :confused: I tried contacting Mrs. Sanchez to ask about it but got no response... :(

I had an issue with lacking Spanish credits. You can take the CLEP Spanish test at University of Phoenix. If you get above an 80% you will get the credits that fulfill the requirements for SJB.

Hey everyone,

I'm glad someone started this blog, it gives us all a chance to communicate before we start this long, but worthwhile journey.

I was recently accepted into SJB for the upcoming fall term (2016). Im originally from Michigan but I have been living in PR for 3 years. If anyone from the states have any questions about life here on the island, I would be more than happy to answer their questions.

To sum up some of the concerns that were mentioned about accreditation in this blog I have been in constant communication with the school and they have informed me that they are on probation(meaning they have not lost accreditation) and they are reforming their curriculum at both the school and participating facilities to the LCME standards. I do not believe the accreditation status will affect the entering class. Accreditation only affects the graduating class and their ability to participate in the Match. If the problem isn't resolved by the end of your second year, one still has the option of transferring to another institution.

I have been asking for a calender of when everything starts and have been given a rough draft of some of the important dates.

June 29th - White Coat

Also, I am currently looking for a place to stay. Ive been looking at a place called Sabanera which is located 10 minutes away from the university. Its elevated, breezy, and has a relaxing atmosphere to study, but a bit expensive. I am keeping my options open and looking into all possible alternatives, such as renting out a room, studio apartment, or having housemates ( male or female). If anyone has any questions about the area or are interested in figuring out some type of living situation contact me through the SJB Facebook group or my email.

Erik Soto
[email protected]

Heyyy no way! I'm from Michigan too! Hey, looking forward to meeting you. Best of luck to all of us SJB class of 2016.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

June 29th - White Coat

Erik Soto
[email protected]

Thanks for sharing Soto.... Look forward to meeting you!

Congrats classmates!, My name is Charlie (Bronx, NY) and i am in search of 2 roommates. Orientation is approaching fast and i am looking to have a place by July. Please reply to me at our Facebook class page or e-mail me at [email protected].

Hi is anyone planning to ship their car to puerto rico? As students who are moving to the island only for school is the excise tax still required?

Thanks! =)

Also has anyone received their financial aid package yet? I have not gotten mine and I am starting to worry.

Thanks =)

Whoever made that facebook page screwed up. Every other medical school class in the country has a facebook "group" that people can join. If anyone reads this, i'd make one and start over

Can you do it? I'm sure Alanna tried her best.