Saprobes vs. Detritivores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrazilianRider

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the difference? Saprobes eat dead/decaying organic matter and detritivores consume dead/decaying organic matter.

Is it that Saprobes describes bacteria and fungi, while detritivores describes animals?

I google'd around, but I didn't find a definitive answer and thought I'd ask here!

Members don't see this ad.

Erm detritus is waste found in lakes usually. Marine environments (at least as far as I remember. Can't remember using detritus to refer to trash in a landfill). It's anything that can be decomposed. Saprophytes are usually referring to fungi but doesnt have to. They decompose and suck nutrients from dead or dying living things. Lichens can decompose rock but fungi can't so I wouldnt call them saprophytes. You may want to consult your old microbio book for these kind of definitions. They are both decomposers, saprophytes and detritivores (using your words).

Last edited:
Well I just read something in Destroyer that I think cleared it up... Detritus is any dead matter, but I think the difference is that Saprobes break down dead organic material. Detritivores eat dead organic materials.

So fungi are saprobes who secrete digestive enzymes, break down the dead organic material and then absorb it. Earthworms are detritovores who eat dead organic materials.