Sarapin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know you are looking for info from pain docs but i thought i would respond anyways (as i am not there...yet ;-) i have used it in trigger point injections on one of my competition horses with good results.

Had 1 attending in residency use it. Worthless.

Pitcher plant extract made in NJ.
Could add it to your prolo cocktail, no data to support it (in people) and adds to the cost of providing care.

Members don't see this ad :)
as a fellow i saw this one patient who would come in every 4 weeks for a kenalog injection (2-5mg - tiny dose) w/ lidocaine into a painful scar in her palm....

then one day the attending asked the resident to inject the scar, and without knowing it the resident had mixed kenalog/lidocaine w/ a tiny bit of sarapin that was in the drug closet, and then injected it...

(the resident didn't pay close attention and thought it was bicarb)...

the resident didn't mention it until after the patient had left...

the attending was furious...

the patient didn't come back for 10 weeks - and stated that her pain relief lasted 9 weeks (compared to the previous 3-4 weeks). She had NO idea that the resident had added anything...

so the attending now injects her every 10 weeks with a small touch of sarapin/lidocaine and has completely stopped the kenalog component of the "mix".... and the patient couldn't be happier

personally i think Sarapin is a bunch of crap... but this true anecdote is quite interesting - even though it doesn't mean squat if you subscribe to Dr. Bogduk's beliefs in reporting science :D

I started using Sarapin years ago in patients who had recently received a lot of steroids. I didn't want to add to their steroid exposure. A physiatrist colleague suggested it as an alternative. Quite a few patients came back reporting that they did better with Sarapin than the steroid injection. I still use steroid primarily, but if I want to avoid it I will use Sarapin.

Just my 10 cents (inflation-adjusted).

Reactions: 1 user
how do you bill for sarapin?

Wanted to resurrect this voodoo thread. Any more experiences with this stuff and how do you bill? As a neurolytic?

Funny this came up. Had a patient bring in a vial today. Had a discussion with an attending who has been practicing for years. He stated the main effect is due to the benzyl alcohol causing neurolysis. The Sarpin itself is useless.

Funny this came up. Had a patient bring in a vial today. Had a discussion with an attending who has been practicing for years. He stated the main effect is due to the benzyl alcohol causing neurolysis. The Sarpin itself is useless.

hmmm interesting thought... i don't believe him though. Find out the concentration of benzyl alcohol. I bet it's < 1%

Traumeel also works when u don't want steroids. I've done both in the same patients and they say results are about the same.

saropin may have some immediate local anesthetic effects; this guy who was doing RFs where I was a locum once told me he accidentally used saropin to block the medial branch nerves before frying them with RF; and the guy never felt the burns; FWIW

for patients with resistance anesthetics, can add serapin. We did this in fellowship, the local works more effectively and important to know if getting good diagnostic block. Eliminates the factor of the patient that have "difficulty" getting numb. I don't have any papers to prove it, but its harms and seem to work

Sounds like tooth fairy science.