sarcastic doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crystalgreen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, i encountered a maddening incident with a ortho surgeon the other day at the physician's room. how would you have handled it?
here's what happened:
my dad is a doctor and he was gonna assist another doctor in a surgery that morning. I was gonna shadow him and watch him in surgery. As i was waiting for him the physician's room, there was another doctor there-the ortho surgeon. at first we had good conversation as we were talking about the kinda surgery i was gonna see. then when my dad walked in, he said:"he's not a doctor! he's a bad guy!" i was really surprised and i said:" you know you're talking about my dad right?" he said:" yeah i know, so? he's a bad guy!" then he ask me what school im going to and by this time i was pretty mad and i sarcastically said:" maybe i dont wanto tell you!"

My dad just laughed the whole thing off. My dad then told me that that's just the guy's personality and that i shouldnt have talked back to him??

Members don't see this ad.

oversensitive much?

Members don't see this ad :)
haha r u serious...i can see why you're dad laughed...oh well next time turn on your sarcasm receptors on

hey everyone, i encountered a maddening incident with a ortho surgeon the other day at the physician's room. how would you have handled it?
here's what happened:
my dad is a doctor and he was gonna assist another doctor in a surgery that morning. I was gonna shadow him and watch him in surgery. As i was waiting for him the physician's room, there was another doctor there-the ortho surgeon. at first we had good conversation as we were talking about the kinda surgery i was gonna see. then when my dad walked in, he said:"he's not a doctor! he's a bad guy!" i was really surprised and i said:" you know you're talking about my dad right?" he said:" yeah i know, so? he's a bad guy!" then he ask me what school im going to and by this time i was pretty mad and i sarcastically said:" maybe i dont wanto tell you!"

My dad just laughed the whole thing off. My dad then told me that that's just the guy's personality and that i shouldnt have talked back to him??

Get used to abrasive personalities in medicine, especially surgeons. You need to get a thicker skin and learn to laugh stuff off. You will hear a whole lot worse, in the name of humor.

You shouldn't have talked back, simply because medicine is still a hierarchy, and if you want to join this club, you better learn the rules early.

dude the guy was clearly bustin balls. no harm done.

oversensitive much?

hello? of course i was a little more sensitive cause he was talking about my dad! i dont like it when people talk like that to my parents. besides, even if he was joking, it's still rude thing to say...who jokes like that anyway? i just thought he was socially ******ed!

Oh my god... That doctor is OUT OF CONTROL! JESUS CHRIST! FELON!

Yes clearly that doctor was sooo out of line...gasp....but at least he didnt insult your mom bc thats just going too far...(please note sarcasm)

ER Docs have got to be the most humorous. Here is a situation I saw while in the ER.

*EMS brings in 90 something yo from hospice who is going to die within a few days at the most.

*Doctor walks in room swatting at the air

*Nurse says what is wrong is there a fly in the room?

*Doctor says "No, I am trying to swat away the buzzards"
Meanwhile poor old decrepit man moans in pain... Thick skin much?

ER Docs have got to be the most humorous.

ER docs definately have a corner on the black humor market.

I was shadowing a doc in the ER and a girl in her mid twenties is brought in by EMS, probably close to 400 pounds and maybe 5'5'' in height. Nurse asks the doc what she's in for .... "Emergency Gastric Bypass Surgery - STAT!" is what he remarks. She was actually brought in for being suicidal...so its probably a good thing she didn't hear him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh my god... That doctor is OUT OF CONTROL! JESUS CHRIST! FELON!

:laugh: Come on, let her have her moment of SDN fame and glory. Not everyone has such significant experiences to recount. I hear ya, OP -- that doctor needs a taste of his own medicine! (Pun intended :p) Who does he think he is to talk of your father in that denigrating tone?

I mean, seriously, I don't understand why people feel the need to share minutia of everyday life on a public forum. Come back when there's a real dilemma...which does not include how your significant other screwed you over by breaking up with you right before the MCAT.

Ortho's are stereotyped for their "frat boy" persona. He was just bustin chops, you overreacted.

Crystalgreen? More like Crystalcan'tdetectsarcasmandjusttakealittlejoke!!!

dude, it's not like i didnt know he was being sarcastic and joking. how would you feel if someone said your dad is a "bad guy" in front of you?...even if they were joking?

Sarcasm is very common for orthopedic surgeons. Your dad probably called him something worse the next day when they were having a drink together.

I agree with your dad's advice. Keep that in mind when you're doing your surgery clerkship during third year.

dude, it's not like i didnt know he was being sarcastic and joking. how would you feel if someone said your dad is a "bad guy" in front of you?...even if they were joking?

This is as not as grave of an issue as you make it out to be. Chill. Move on. Don't let this single experience emotionally scar you for the rest of your life!!!

Stop whinning. The OR is known for "funny" guys. This I can tell you after working one.

Where my dad comes from, a very blue-collar society, it's customary to call one's father "Old Man." I'm really angry about this and would like it to stop. Help me please?

Stop whinning. The OR is known for "funny" guys. This I can tell you after working one.

chill...what makes you think im whinning about this?
how many docs have you actually talked to? I've actually grew up around docs and 99% of them are not "funny" like that.

anyways, i didnt post this thread b/c i wanna whine and complain or hear from a bunch of people who can only throw judgements, i just wanna see how everyone else will react this if it happened to them.

hello? of course i was a little more sensitive cause he was talking about my dad! i dont like it when people talk like that to my parents. besides, even if he was joking, it's still rude thing to say...who jokes like that anyway? i just thought he was socially ******ed!

Disclaimer: Don't take this offensively - I'm honestly curious.

Has no one ever said something sarcastic to you like that? You've never had a guy friend call you a manwhore or say you're an ass? Or if you're female have a girlfriend call you "bitch!"

I mean have you never joked to anyone? Do you have siblings.

How else to people play around and joke. It always amazes me when people respond to joking like this and I'm honestly curious how you get to college without being exposed to it.

In most circles this is pretty common. People joke like this all the time. My fathers friends ask me if I know "my dad's an ass" all the time.

Calm down. Understand that joking like that is common. And your dad even thought it was funny.

The correct way that conversation would have gone was:
"Hey that guys not a doctor, he's a bad guy"
"Why is that?"
...he probably would have given you an awesomely hilarious story about your father and you could have had a nice moment joking with a doctor.

Instead you spazzed and looked socially incompetent.

how many docs have you actually talked to? I've actually grew up around docs and 99% of them are not "funny" like that.

anyways, i didnt post this thread b/c i wanna whine and complain or hear from a bunch of people who can only throw judgements, i just wanna see how everyone else will react this if it happened to them.

I would probably punch him in the face! Who does he think he is joking around with his colleague like that? Where I come from we call each other sir and madame, we have long deep discussions about the weather, or how the Tigers are doing this season while anxiously waiting for the elevator to hit our floor.

If I was you I would go back and say "Hello. My name is crystalgreen. You joked around with my father prepare to die." But that just me.

I really wish SDN has one of those 'bash head against the wall' smileys for this exact thread.

...oh wait, found one:

http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/M%E9chant/0084.gif

I would probably punch him in the face! Who does he think he is joking around with his colleague like that? Where I come from we call each other sir and madame, we have long deep discussions about the weather, or how the Tigers are doing this season while anxiously waiting for the elevator to hit our floor.

If I was you I would go back and say "Hello. My name is crystalgreen. You joked around with my father prepare to die." But that just me.

Inconceivable!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So...it's not true that he gives out roofies in bubblegum wrappers to blind pre-schoolers?

CrystalGreen, you need to relax. The problem is not with the ortho surgeon, who obviously has a personality. The problem is with you. LISTEN to what everyone is saying.

Joking and sarcasm are a part of life. That was not offensive in ANY way. Relax

i just wanna see how everyone else will react this if it happened to them.

I wouldn't care and I can't see why you care so much either. Hell, my parent's friends sling much worse stuff at me on a regular basis and I just laugh and tell them they're old and senile.

What the guy said wasn't even off-color humor. I don't think I even want to ask what you find funny.

I wouldn't care and I can't see why you care so much either. Hell, my parent's friends sling much worse stuff at me on a regular basis and I just laugh and tell them they're old and senile.

What the guy said wasn't even off-color humor. I don't think I even want to ask what you find funny.

dont be such an ass. u probably take crap from other people like it's nothing...do u even respect urself? LoL

CrystalGreen, you need to relax. The problem is not with the ortho surgeon, who obviously has a personality. The problem is with you. LISTEN to what everyone is saying.

Joking and sarcasm are a part of life. That was not offensive in ANY way. Relax

it's obvious that you dont have a personality either.

In actuality, my dad wasnt happy at all about the comment from the ortho guy either, he just didnt wanna deal with it so he laughed it off.

here's what happened:

Good God. Don't be so uptight! HE WAS JOKING!

actually, many people that have known the ortho guy thinks that he's annoying and weird. i heard that he says many really insulting things to doctors and nurses in the name of sarcasm. however, they either ignore him or laugh it off.

it's obvious that you dont have a personality either.

I know you are but what am I?

Pee%20Wee.jpg

Good God. Don't be so uptight! HE WAS JOKING!

i think that you guys have misread me...its not like im trying to be uptight, it's just that i think that the comment is annoying and unecessary

No he's not, but perhaps you are...jk. But please, don't worry about it.

A sense of humor is something I think is important for someone entering the field of medicine to have. It helps people relax. Plus your dad is a grown man and I would think is more than capable of standing up for himself. Sometimes in life you have to just grin and bear things.

i think that you guys have misread me...its not like im trying to be uptight, it's just that i think that the comment is annoying and unecessary

I have experienced the same thing with my dad. He's a CRNA and he got me into seeing several surgeries over the last year or so and people would make comments like that all the time about him right in front of me. They were clearly joking as was this doc in reference to your dad. I guess a few years ago, I might have not thought it was a joke and may have ripped someone's head off for it, but then I turned 14 and realized what was clearly not serious and what was.

FYI, if you plan on going to medical school, you need to grow a thicker skin asap. There will be doctors who you will run across as a student, resident and fellow who will make you feel stupid and incompetent and say mean things that are NOT meant to be a joke. If you get upset about it everytime it happens, you won't make it. Period.

No he's not, but perhaps you are...jk. But please, don't worry about it.

actually from what i've heard from other doctors and nurses, he is kinda of socially weird. nobody likes him b/c he's always saying these really annoying things. people know that he's trying to be funny, but everyone just ignores him or even tell him to go away(in a joking sort of way of course).

FYI, if you plan on going to medical school, you need to grow a thicker skin asap. There will be doctors who you will run across as a student, resident and fellow who will make you feel stupid and incompetent and say mean things that are NOT meant to be a joke. If you get upset about it everytime it happens, you won't make it. Period.

i know what you're saying

actually from what i've heard from other doctors and nurses, he is kinda of socially weird. nobody likes him b/c he's always saying these really annoying things. people know that he's trying to be funny, but everyone just ignores him or even tell him to go away(in a joking sort of way of course).

Ortho smash...ortho no talk. Silly.

the comment is annoying and unecessary
Sort of like this entire thread. Seriously, if you don't realize that he was joking, you either are:

1. Socially outcasted by anyone who speaks English,
OR
2. You're VERY young and VERY naive.

:bullcrap::bullcrap::bullcrap:

Sort of like this entire thread. Seriously, if you don't realize that he was joking, you either are:

1. Socially outcasted by anyone who speaks English,
OR
2. You're VERY young and VERY naive.

:bullcrap::bullcrap::bullcrap:

if you think that this thread is annoying and unecessary, then dont waste your time commenting.
and of course i know that he was joking! i guess u cant read the title.

well, since you ask, I'd think the doc liked my dad a lot and thought well of his sense of humor and was willing to talk to daddy's little girl like she was a grownup, so I'd have tried to act like one and not acted like daddy's spoiled little girl instead. Sheesh, child, your dad laughed. I'm insulted for your dad that you substituted your judgment about his friend for your daddy's. You're either really insincere about this or you're immature.