sarcoma in cats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Margo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My 9 year old cat was diagnosed with sarcoma 2 months ago. Surgery was performed 2 weeks after the diagnosis: a large tumor was removed (attached to and blocking jejunum), pathology report stated that the excision was complete and the anastomosed ends were clean. The vet told us there were no visible metastases elsewhere in the belly at the time of the surgery. The cat did exceptionally well for the first 2 weeks after the surgery, then her health started to deteriorate again..... To make a long story short, she has developed multiple sarcoma metastases in the belly (as per physical exam, we did not do imaging), ascites, etc etc. Only 1.5 months after the "complete excision surgery" and apparently clean belly, and now she is so sick she maybe has a day or 2 left to live.... How is it even possible? Can sarcoma be THIS aggressive? Not asking for medical advice here, just want to get some answers. I searched the web, but found little info on sarcoma progression in felines, most websites mention vaccine-associated sarcomas. Do you know?

Members don't see this ad.

My 9 year old cat was diagnosed with sarcoma 2 months ago. Surgery was performed 2 weeks after the diagnosis: a large tumor was removed (attached to and blocking jejunum), pathology report stated that the excision was complete and the anastomosed ends were clean. The vet told us there were no visible metastases elsewhere in the belly at the time of the surgery. The cat did exceptionally well for the first 2 weeks after the surgery, then her health started to deteriorate again..... To make a long story short, she has developed multiple sarcoma metastases in the belly (as per physical exam, we did not do imaging), ascites, etc etc. Only 1.5 months after the "complete excision surgery" and apparently clean belly, and now she is so sick she maybe has a day or 2 left to live.... How is it even possible? Can sarcoma be THIS aggressive? Not asking for medical advice here, just want to get some answers. I searched the web, but found little info on sarcoma progression in felines, most websites mention vaccine-associated sarcomas. Do you know?

Your question is pretty vague. I know people throw around the term 'sarcoma' a lot, and perhaps I should know what type you are referring to as you did say it was associated with the jejunum, but thats not easy.

I mean, Fibrosarcoma? Lymphosarcoma? Histiocytic Sarcoma? Osteosarcoma? (ok, not likely). But my point is, knowing specifically the type are neoplasia would probably yield a better answer.

If it was lymphosarcoma (my guess due to location, but who knows), then yes, they can be very aggressive, but again, more information is require (is it B or T? small or large cell?). Some tumors also release (anti?) growth factors that suppress 'satellite' tumors, and removing them can cause the mets to grow (not a valid reason not to excise).

I searched the web, but found little info on sarcoma progression in felines, most websites mention vaccine-associated sarcomas. Do you know?

There are literally, hundreds if not thousands of papers on feline fibrosarcomas and lymphoma. but again, knowing the type will probably yield more relevant info. If you find out the type, be happy to tell you what I know about it (which is probably very little).

Can sarcoma be THIS aggressive?

Sorry to hear about your kitty :( In my experience, yes, it most definately can. Cats and cancer do what they want, when they want, in my experience. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Spindle cell sarcoma of the GI tract. The mass was concentrated in the muscular tunic region. Low to intermediate grade neoplasia. Low mitotic rate.

I simply cannot believe that it recurred so quickly and aggressively after a complete excision.

Your question is pretty vague. I know people throw around the term 'sarcoma' a lot, and perhaps I should know what type you are referring to as you did say it was associated with the jejunum, but thats not easy.

I mean, Fibrosarcoma? Lymphosarcoma? Histiocytic Sarcoma? Osteosarcoma? (ok, not likely). But my point is, knowing specifically the type are neoplasia would probably yield a better answer.

If it was lymphosarcoma (my guess due to location, but who knows), then yes, they can be very aggressive, but again, more information is require (is it B or T? small or large cell?). Some tumors also release (anti?) growth factors that suppress 'satellite' tumors, and removing them can cause the mets to grow (not a valid reason not to excise).

There are literally, hundreds if not thousands of papers on feline fibrosarcomas and lymphoma. but again, knowing the type will probably yield more relevant info. If you find out the type, be happy to tell you what I know about it (which is probably very little).

Also, not saying this has to be what happened in your case, but when a vet says no visible metastasis, it means no mets big enough to be seen by whatever imaging modality used (radiographs, ultrasound, naked eye at surgery). Unfortunately, there can be tons of tumor cells accumulating before it becomes visible.

Take osteosarcoma in dogs for example. Even if there is one well defined lump on a leg, and that leg is amputated at the time when no metastasis is seen, something like 90% of dogs will develop mets if I remember correctly.

I was reading an article just the other day that was comparing the sensitivity of survey radiographs of the thorax with that of a CT. Even the CT missed 6 cases of mets in osteosarc cases.