Save my GPA or possibly save my MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whats your overall GPA? A B+ isnt going to have much affect overall.

Why did you do so poorly? Do you just not get the material or did you not study despite the fact you are taking only 12 credits?

Honestly, I highly doubt someone who got a 78.5% on the first exam is going to average a 97% on the next three, especially as material gets tougher. You should be focusing on not getting a C in the course and figuring out how to get better in science courses if you plan on being a doctor as opposed to an A

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You've gone crazy.

Reactions: 5 users
IF you drop this class, wont you be below 12 credits --> part-time student?

A B+ is fine, especially if you learn the material you didn't for the first exam.

Your GPA is fine. Too bad your class isn't curved.

My overall cGPA right now is 3.73 and sGPA is 3.6…I still have two semesters left before I apply but the maximum I can raise my GPA to (assuming I get all A's) is cGPa of 3.82 and sGPa of 3.76.

Honestly, I didn't study…like at all. I had two exams right before my biochem. test which I over-studied for and plus, the MCAT was stressing me out (I was taking 15 credits at that time, but then I dropped a class to 12 to reduce some stress and increase MCAT prep time…unfortunately, I dropped the class after my biochem. test so I still thought I should focus on that class to get a good grade on the test, when it turned out I rly didn't have to…I didn't make the decision in time)

The biochem. test was actually pretty straightforward and easy…I missed points on the free response Q's because I didn't study and had no idea what to put there…I know, I was stupid...I feel like if I read the textbook and did all the problems and took the practice tests starting now, I could pull off at least an A- if not an A. But is this too risky (considering I would be borderline for a B+) considering my low GPA? Also, both my pre-req grades in Bio 1 and 2 were B+'s, and although I got an A in genetics, I feel like med schools would seriously worry about my science capabilities if I got yet another B+ in biochem!
Take a deep breath! Your current GPA is fantastic and definitely competitive for many MD schools. Would a 3.82 and 3.76 be better and more competitive? Sure. Is it worth dropping a class to avoid getting a B+ alongside 3 other As (assuming that you get As in the other classes)? Absolutely not - especially considering the fact that you already dropped a class.

People drop classes to avoid getting Cs, Ds, and Fs, not to avoid getting a B+. Remember that if you drop, it shows up on your transcript as a Withdrawal and, although it won't be calculated into your GPA, adcoms will probably assume that you were doing much worse than getting a B+ in the course. If you get three As and a B+ you'll have a 3.8+ for the semester, which would actually raise your cGPA, showing an upwards trend there, and probably not affect your sGPA if you're currently taking another science class. And if you're not, it probably won't do much to your current sGPA anyways.

What you do need to focus on is the MCAT. Not to add unnecessary pressure but just to make sure you understand, your GPA and MCAT are basically weighted equally in the admissions process. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but according to LizzyM, a 31/3.8 is basically equivalent to a 38/3.1. The key is to find a balance between the two so that they correlate in a way that demonstrates your capacities to adcoms. I'd recommend staying enrolled in your class, working extra hard to finish out the semester, and spending ample time prepping for that MCAT. If you get a 33+ to complement your current GPA, I think that (assuming that you have solid ECs) you'll find yourself matriculating in 2016.

Chill, man. A B+ isn't going to hurt you all that much, your GPA is already good. Just focus and do better.

I have interviews and I got a B-in biochem a C+ in a math class.

Chill.

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Yeah but is it good enough for MD schools? I remember one of the adcoms on here told me that having B's in my prereq grades shows a deficiency in the basic sciences which is worrisome...
You are being neurotic. There are plenty of med students who had Cs and worse in pre reqs. Just do as well as you can and stop stressing.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah but is it good enough for MD schools? I remember one of the adcoms on here told me that having B's in my prereq grades shows a deficiency in the basic sciences which is worrisome...

Depends on the school. I have a couple of C's, and that hasn't stopped me from getting interviews. As you can see above, the same for ridethecliche. It's great to want to aim high and achieve that A, but don't let it consume you to the point where you have anxiety about it. Relax.

I have a B- and a C+ on my transcript and also 2 W's. I've interviewed more than once already. No one made a comment about the grades or the withdrawals during my interviews. CHILL.

Reactions: 1 users