"Saving" Stray Cat vs. Stealing Owned Outdoor Cat (No ID)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know what you're getting at there.

I donno... calling a shelter when your pet is missing makes common sense to me. If someone had found my cat, brought it in, and the shelter had no idea it was my cat, then I'd be out a cat. One shelter I was in had a "Lost Animal" book and the other had a bulletain board. If someone brought in a cat with that description, they'd know how to get a hold of you. More often than not, most lost cats never made it to the shelter for whatever reason or found someplace else, but it's nice to have all your bases covered, right? Our cat got out one day and was gone for 8 hours. We called the shelter to report her missing and asked if they wanted a picture of her. Turns out most of the staff remember her and there was already a picture of her at the shelter.

Yes, my cat did get out. She had a collar but no ID/microchip. I was 16 at the time, we had the cat for about 6 months, it was our first, and I was still trying to convince my mom the importance of ID AND annual vet visits.

My personal experience with a shelter, as the finder of a lost animal, was that they were unsuccessful in connecting me with the owner, despite both of us calling the shelter multiple times about the same animal. The point being that you said someone was irresponsible if they don't even bother to look for their animal at the shelter--apparently even if they do look, they may not find the animal. Even if the animal has been reported. I would never rely on a shelter to know if my animal was there.

Re: fibrosarcomas: they are accurately referred to now as injection site fibrosarcomas, not vaccine-associated fibrosarcomas, because data suggests that they are associated with the trauma of injection, not always with adjuvant. Yes, the vaccine associated ones are usually characterized by macrophages that have phagocytosed adjuvant. However, I know pathologists who have seen fibrosarcomas in owned animals (not mice) that surrounded a microchip. I'm not implying that it's common, but as fibrosarcomas are highly invasive neoplasms and are very difficult to remove with clean margins, I would rather not take that risk. Remember, just because there's no study proving something happens does not mean it doesn't. Injection site fibrosarcomas in cats have only identified in the last 20 or so years, and microchips are much newer than that, so we can't expect to necessarily have data on this yet. If my cats were outdoors regularly, I might make a different choice regarding microchipping. If I could chip my cat in a distal limb, it might also be a different story.

When you say thousands of animals are reunited with their owners each month as a result of a microchip--where are those statistics from? How have you ensured that the animal was found and given to its owner solely because of the microchip? Are owners who microchip more likely to also put forth more effort in looking for lost animals? Lots of confounding variables here.

My cat that escaped did so while I was out of town, so I was not personally responsible for her getting out, although I obviously participated in finding her.

Members don't see this ad.

Re: fibrosarcomas: they are accurately referred to now as injection site fibrosarcomas, not vaccine-associated fibrosarcomas, because data suggests that they are associated with the trauma of injection, not always with adjuvant. Yes, the vaccine associated ones are usually characterized by macrophages that have phagocytosed adjuvant. However, I know pathologists who have seen fibrosarcomas in owned animals (not mice) that surrounded a microchip. I'm not implying that it's common, but as fibrosarcomas are highly invasive neoplasms and are very difficult to remove with clean margins, I would rather not take that risk. Remember, just because there's no study proving something happens does not mean it doesn't. Injection site fibrosarcomas in cats have only identified in the last 20 or so years, and microchips are much newer than that, so we can't expect to necessarily have data on this yet. If my cats were outdoors regularly, I might make a different choice regarding microchipping. If I could chip my cat in a distal limb, it might also be a different story.

When you say thousands of animals are reunited with their owners each month as a result of a microchip--where are those statistics from? How have you ensured that the animal was found and given to its owner solely because of the microchip? Are owners who microchip more likely to also put forth more effort in looking for lost animals? Lots of confounding variables here.

From the AVMA website:

Q: Will a microchip really make it more likely for me to get my pet back if it is lost?
A: Definitely! A study of more than 7,700 stray animals at animal shelters showed that dogs without microchips were returned to their owners 21.9% of the time, whereas microchipped dogs were returned to their owners 52.2% of the time. Cats without microchips were reunited with their owners only 1.8% of the time, whereas microchipped cats went back home 38.5% of the time. (Lord et al, JAVMA, July 15, 2009) For microchipped animals that weren't returned to their owners, most of the time it was due to incorrect owner information (or no owner information) in the microchip registry database – so don't forget to register and keep your information updated.

Q: What are some of the problems associated with microchips? How common are they?
A: The British Small Animal Veterinary Association (BSAVA) maintains a database of adverse reactions to microchips. Since the database was started in 1996, over 4 million animals have been microchipped and only 391 adverse reactions have been reported. Of these reactions, migration of the microchip from its original implantation site is the most common problem reported. Other problems, such as failure of the microchip, hair loss, infection, swelling, and tumor formation, were reported in much lower numbers.

Q: I've heard a lot lately that microchips cause cancer. Do they?
A: There have been reports that mice and rats developed cancer associated with implanted microchips. However, the majority of these mice and rats were being used for cancer studies when the tumors were found, and the rat and mice strains used in the studies are known to be more likely to develop cancer. Tumors associated with microchips in two dogs were reported, but in at least one of these dogs the tumor could not be directly linked to the microchip itself (and may have been caused by something else).

http://www.avma.org/issues/microchipping/microchipping_faq.asp

See above regarding confounding variables with this study. :)

They do mention that tumor formation has been observed--I understand it's unlikely, but it is mentioned. Here's one case study, which also cites other documented cases of microchip site fibrosarcoma in dogs and rodents.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=13

Also, injection site fibrosarcomas in cats. As a microchip is an injection, it must be considered as a part of any injection-site tumor study.

http://proxy.library.upenn.edu:5567...ed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=22

Personally, it's not worth it for me. But if a cat is going outside regularly, perhaps it is a good choice for others.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
See above regarding confounding variables with this study. :)

They do mention that tumor formation has been observed--I understand it's unlikely, but it is mentioned. Here's one case study, which also cites other documented cases of microchip site fibrosarcoma in dogs and rodents.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=13

Personally, it's not worth it for me. But if a cat is going outside regularly, perhaps it is a good choice for others.

So, one case that might possibly link microchipping to cancer - one out of how many millions? Would you base any recommendations to patients on this report?

So, one case that might possibly link microchipping to cancer - one out of how many millions? Would you base any recommendations to patients on this report?

No, one case of an actual report, and then the studies of injection site sarcomas. These link any injection to a risk of sarcoma formation.

And yes, I would inform clients of this as a possible risk, and probably recommend not microchipping an indoor only cat with a low risk of getting outside. However, providing unbiased, factual information is important, so I would outline the risks and benefits of microchipping and let the client make an informed decision.

But I won't be in practice. :)

Someone comes into the clinic with a stray they picked up, we scan it, find a microchip, call the company, get the owner's phone number, call the owner "Hi, do you own a Fluffy/Fido/Fifi/whatever, s/he is at our clinic please come by to pick him/her up before we close. So yes, the animal was reunited with the owner solely because of the microchip. Many of the animals that came into my old clinic either had no collars, collars with no ID tags, or ID tags that were so old you couldn't read any of the information anymore. In many of those cases the animal got out while the owner was at work and it comes as a surprise to them when we call.

I remember one case of a stray cat that was brought in by a lady who had been feeding it for months and finally decided to adopt it. Just to be on the safe side we scanned him and found a chip. We contacted his owner and found out the cat had gone missing 1 year prior and it was found a couple of counties away. Animals can wander out of the "looking zone" into places you wouldn't expect.

No, one case of an actual report, and then the studies of injection site sarcomas. These link any injection to a risk of sarcoma formation.

And yes, I would inform clients of this as a possible risk, and probably recommend not microchipping an indoor only cat with a low risk of getting outside. However, providing unbiased, factual information is important, so I would outline the risks and benefits of microchipping and let the client make an informed decision.

But I won't be in practice. :)

Hey, fair enough. Everybody has the right to make their own decisions. I was just trying to gain a more comprehensive idea of what stats are being reported i regards to such concerns. Best of luck.

As for the micro chipping--my local shelter, I am 99% sure, does not have a microchip reader. Is that terribly unusual?

My shelter has one, but I'm not sure how common it is to have or not.

But I know there are major compatibility issues with microchips: some readers can't read/recognize some microchips, which seems like a pretty major flaw. My small-animal vet doesn't recommend microchipping for this reason.

Wikipedia has what seems to be a pretty thorough overview of the compatibility subject.

I think one of the big issues in this issue is that without a tattoo or microchip, there isn't proof that the 'searcher' owned the pet.

Even photos and such are hard to use as proof. So it comes down to a 'he said/she said' if something does happen; and possessionis 9/10 of the law. Tattoos use to be far more common with valuable animals.

All of our animals are microchipped, even our indoor only cats. Just in case. It doesn't guarantee a reunion, but it can help.

Many, many zoos are using microchips for a whole host of reasons, including data tracking. As are tons of wildlife studies (I have implanted more turtles than pets.)

The municipality I live in near vet school made it easier: registration is $5 with an animal that is microchipped & altered, vs $15 not microchipped but altered, and $35 non microchipped, not altered. Apparently, it has helped alot in returning animals, reduced costs for the shelter, and improved the ability to determine registration violations. And with a total of 8 pets, the different financially was a good chunk of change.

The municipality I live in near vet school made it easier: registration is $5 with an animal that is microchipped & altered, vs $15 not microchipped but altered, and $35 non microchipped, not altered. Apparently, it has helped alot in returning animals, reduced costs for the shelter, and improved the ability to determine registration violations. And with a total of 8 pets, the different financially was a good chunk of change.

Our SPCA includes microchipping in the adoption costs.

I think one of the big issues in this issue is that without a tattoo or microchip, there isn't proof that the 'searcher' owned the pet.

Even photos and such are hard to use as proof. So it comes down to a 'he said/she said' if something does happen; and possessionis 9/10 of the law. Tattoos use to be far more common with valuable animals.

All of our animals are microchipped, even our indoor only cats. Just in case. It doesn't guarantee a reunion, but it can help.

Many, many zoos are using microchips for a whole host of reasons, including data tracking. As are tons of wildlife studies (I have implanted more turtles than pets.)

What do they charge for microchipped and intact?

What do they charge for microchipped and intact?

It is either $25 or $30....I don't remember! Probably because I noticed highest cost, what I had to pay (I had one unchipped pet at that point, a newly adopted kitten.)

I agree with you that there probably have not been enough studies/documented cases, but I still believe the chance of a dog or cat developing a sarcoma from a MC is very rare; same as a vaccine-related one. It could be a possible side-effect, but can the benefits outweigh the risks? That depends, if your cat is going to be indoor only then a MC may not be necessary and therefore you may choose not to do it (risk is worse than the benefit). I have only had indoor cats and when I was little they did not get vaccines after the kitten series. Since they were always indoors and away from other cats except each other there was never a problem. Neither of them caught anything that they could have been vaccinated for. So, is it worth it to vaccinate indoor cats then? They could possibly get a sarcoma from the vaccine and none of my cats ever caught a virus they could have been vaccinated for so I could conclude that it might not be worth vaccinating an indoor cat either (I do vaccines now.) So I would say that MC is a good thing especially if you have an outdoor cat. Even indoor cats can escape sometimes and I have met a lot of people who do not or can not put collars on their cats either because the cat does not tolerate it or because they feel the cat does not need it so would a MC be worth it for those people? To me the chance of your indoor cat possibly sneaking out is much greater than the chance of a cat developing a sarcoma from a MC, just my opinion. I do not have my cat microchipped because I do not think it would benefit her and the MC’s at the clinic I work at are $$$. She has a collar, but if she gets caught up on anything it is one of the safety release ones and it will be lost. I feel that she would not escape because she is scared to go past that first blade of grass in the front yard, but I will be kicking myself if she ever does escape and loses her collar. Is a MC a 100% guarantee that your pet will be returned no, but the majority of places do look for them, our clinic has 3 different scanners, so the chances increase with it. Anyway, it is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer, but to not MC a cat because there is a very, very, very minute chance of a sarcoma is like not vaccinating because of the same reason (a severe vaccine reaction is more likely and even that is very rare), at least in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Until I discover evidence to the contrary, I would tend to agree with your analysis, and appreciate the link. I was aware of these studies already as they led me to do some further investigation in the past. I, however, was also unable to find evidence of such cases reported in any of the millions of cats and dogs that receive microchips. Have a safe flight.:)

Thanks. Flight went well. Now I have to decide if I want to drive 2 hours up the stupid mountain tomorrow morning to make up a lab I missed. It could possibly be snowing and I have to be in the lab at 8:30 AM. I would rather...:sleep:

It could be a possible side-effect, but can the benefits outweigh the risks?

That is the way with everything. I worry because my animals travel with me. Also, my cat did escape after Rita put a tree through my house. Recovered quickly because she is trained to recall, but it was still scary. I have heard the same argument made against rabies vax....and that scares me! I'll admit, I have severe vax rxn to rabies, and yet, it is well worth it. For me and my animals.

I agree with you that there probably have not been enough studies/documented cases, but I still believe the chance of a dog or cat developing a sarcoma from a MC is very rare; same as a vaccine-related one. It could be a possible side-effect, but can the benefits outweigh the risks?

Of course; as I said, with an outdoor cat the benefits are likely worth the risk. For my cats, not so much.

So, is it worth it to vaccinate indoor cats then? They could possibly get a sarcoma from the vaccine and none of my cats ever caught a virus they could have been vaccinated for so I could conclude that it might not be worth vaccinating an indoor cat either (I do vaccines now.)

This is something that's under debate among the vet community. I am a proponent of judicious vaccination. My cats got the HCP kitten vaccines, boosters at 1 year, and I plan to have titers performed after 3 years. While titers aren't the be-all-end-all of immunity, they do provide some information that your animal has had an anamnestic response and is most likely protected. I do try to vaccinate my cats minimally and only with non-adjuvanted vaccines; they are vaccinated for rabies to protect them in the event that a bat entered the house and bit them without my knowledge.

Anyway, it is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer, but to not MC a cat because there is a very, very, very minute chance of a sarcoma is like not vaccinating because of the same reason (a severe vaccine reaction is more likely and even that is very rare), at least in my opinion.

You're right, which is why it's best to present the information in a way that's as neutral as possible, and let each owner decide. However, I'm surprised that you disagree with a decision not to microchip because of the sarcoma risk and don't microchip your cat for financial reasons (I've never seen a microchip cost more than $50--the cost of the reward we paid out when my cat was lost was MUCH more than that). There are health clinics where you could get a microchip for far less than that, in case you were interested. :)

. However, I'm surprised that you disagree with a decision not to microchip because of the sarcoma risk and don't microchip your cat for financial reasons (I've never seen a microchip cost more than $50--the cost of the reward we paid out when my cat was lost was MUCH more than that). There are health clinics where you could get a microchip for far less than that, in case you were interested. :)

Well, it is the family cat so really that responsibility lies with my parents, but at this point even if I had the 50-60 dollars it would be better put to pay for those interviews I charged up on my credit card, or my bills, or my car that has needed an alignment for the past few months but has been put off because of financial reasons. So, one person’s it is only $50 is another’s arm. :oops:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]I thought this thread was about cats being stolen for the Central American fur trade. What happened?? :confused:

Well, it is the family cat so really that responsibility lies with my parents, but at this point even if I had the 50-60 dollars it would be better put to pay for those interviews I charged up on my credit card, or my bills, or my car that has needed an alignment for the past few months but has been put off because of financial reasons. So, one person’s it is only $50 is another’s arm. :oops:

Hey, no problem with me. :) But there are places where it's cheaper--we recently hosted a vaccine clinic and offered microchips for $10, registration fee included. I'm not sure where you live but I'm sure you could find something similar if you need to. Good luck with the interviews.

I just didn't have the energy tonight to get into "cats are not evil little disease carriers who are trying to wipe out the human race".

:laugh: I LMAO when I read this. Good to have other kitty lovers on the boards!

Now that I have a lot of free time I've been pondering a couple of things, and this one's annoying me at the moment.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that just seems so f***ed up! Now what if this shady guy goes around collecting all the cats he can find? Who's to stop him if he were to start up a private non-profit rescue?

thoughts? facts? laws?

I kinda wanted to make a comment on this post, since it came up in a search... and kind of frustrated.

Honestly, I hate cats... the only people I know who have cats, the cat found them and they got suckered into taking them in. There is a cat in the neighborhood that has been walking around, and we started feeding the cat. I brought the cat to my back yard to show my wife and daughter. We figured what we would do is just feed the cat and see what happens. All the neighbors were saying that the cat was abandoned by one of the neighbors who moved out. So I assumed as much.

Yesterday, we put a collar on the cat, just to see... I figured we would give it a couple of weeks... I actually had no idea about any of the stuff above (about calling the city, etc...). I simply put our phone number, and the name my daughter gave the cat. We got a call today from a lady who said she is the neighbor of the owner. She said the neighbors are gone for the summer, and that she's taking care of the cat, and that the cat "comes and goes." She seemed very stressed on the phone, but said she wanted to give the collar back (which she took off). I haven't called the lady back... but I did some quick searches to see what the law was.

Apparently in this county, it is required by law that all cats have a collar, proper registration, and vaccination tags. Not having those (if proven that you own a cat and haven't done this) is a $500 fine. This goes for both indoor and outdoor cats. Obviously, I'm not going to threaten the lady, but I am going to tell her that she needs to tell the owner... when they return after the summer (geesh...) that they need to get their cat registered.

My daughter is going to be devastated... but, it is what it is... and I was just starting to warm up to this cat.

Me: Oh, Minnerbelle made a new thread?
*clicks*
*scrolls*
Oh what, this is ancient! These people have long vanished. It's just me, minners, dy, and DVM left...

Reactions: 1 user
I was super interested in this and was like, "I don't know any of these people!?" And then I look at the dates and was like, "I was just graduating high school when this was being talked about....."

I was horrified when my aunt told me of something related happening to her dog. She lives in a rural area and the dog wandered off. They put up fliers, gave notice to local vet clinics, shelters, etc. One day, they get a call from a guy saying he found their dog but....he really likes thel dog and he has decided to keep him. He called to let them know so they don't have to continue looking! Blocked number, were never able to find out who it was. Police weren't able to do much. Never got the dog back.

Horrifying.

Me: Oh, Minnerbelle made a new thread?
*clicks*
*scrolls*
Oh what, this is ancient! These people have long vanished. It's just me, minners, dy, and DVM left...
Haha I don't think I've made a new thread in a long long time. I just come and make snarky comments on random threads now in a flurry of activity then disappear for a little while.

But man, brings back so many bad memories. I totes know vigilante type peeps that for some reason think that a particular neighbor is a bad cat owner, and will entice kitty to come on the sidewalk then catnap them since "the cat deserved better."

ps -minnie... i have had THREE additional trips cancelled to Boston in the last 3 months. There is something about Boston that makes me NEVER get there...

Interesting that this came up, because a local rescue had an issue with this. There were two small dogs abandoned on a porch in crates. No food or water. In 110 degree heat. So the rescue took them in. Law in my state is after 30 days, ownership of a lost/abandoned pet is relinquished. Well maybe 2 months after the dogs were found, the owner pops up and claims the dogs were stolen. They calls the cops and try to get lawyers involved, obviously to no avail. Being small dogs, they were adopted out very quickly. And they're being taken care of soooo...

There's a really neat documentary called "Mine" that addresses this topic in the context of ownership of dogs after Hurricane Katrina. It is quite good, and actually required watching for one of the classes I TA'd. It was on Netflix streaming last I checked (and I hope I didn't suggest this in the thread 5 years ago, I haven't read through...)

I was super interested in this and was like, "I don't know any of these people!?" And then I look at the dates and was like, "I was just graduating high school when this was being talked about....."
That makes me feel old :X It's been three years since I graduated college!

There's a really neat documentary called "Mine" that addresses this topic in the context of ownership of dogs after Hurricane Katrina. It is quite good, and actually required watching for one of the classes I TA'd. It was on Netflix streaming last I checked (and I hope I didn't suggest this in the thread 5 years ago, I haven't read through...)

One of our local radio shows talked about that. They do something called, "Other People's Problems," and the person who called in was asking for advice on what to do. They had adopted a Katrina dog and a year later the original owners came looking for it. He understood the original family's pain, but his family had grown very attached to the dog and had even gone through with a major surgery with it. It was a rough OPP.

That makes me feel old :X It's been three years since I graduated college!

It's been only a year and a half since I graduated college. So sorry I made you feel old. Lol.

One of our local radio shows talked about that. They do something called, "Other People's Problems," and the person who called in was asking for advice on what to do. They had adopted a Katrina dog and a year later the original owners came looking for it. He understood the original family's pain, but his family had grown very attached to the dog and had even gone through with a major surgery with it. It was a rough OPP.

It's been only a year and a half since I graduated college. So sorry I made you feel old. Lol.
Oh lord. It's ok, I'm usually the youngest one no matter what crowd I'm in. I think the first years this year are actually my age which is kind of nice. It's weird not being the baby anymore! There's been a couple high school or college kids where I've been in the last 6ish months and it's been a very strange feeling to actually be talking to them about vet school and teaching them about anesthesia and all that fun stuff.

It's been 5 years since I graduated college. My 10 year high school reunion is next year.

And I'm sure my saying that probably still makes some people feel old.

It's been 5 years since I graduated college. My 10 year high school reunion is next year.

And I'm sure my saying that probably still makes some people feel old.
:eek: I didn't think you were that much older than me!

:eek: I didn't think you were that much older than me!

2088472.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
:X I'm just used to be being the baby! Everyone is always old compared to me. I just feel lucky that I'm getting out of California while I'm still under the age that changing your license is required!

There's an age in which this is required?

California is odd.
Yeah, if you're under 24 and a full-time student then you don't have to change your license and do all the emissions testing. Florida is a pretty cheap state as far as license and registration go (which is where my license is from), and California is pretty expensive. So, I'm definitely lucky in this aspect! I turn 24 a few months after I get my DVM (well, hopefully ;) )

:X I'm just used to be being the baby! Everyone is always old compared to me. I just feel lucky that I'm getting out of California while I'm still under the age that changing your license is required!

I'm actually normally in the middle of the pack of the group (except for my closest friends; then I'm oldest). What screws with people is when I tell them my mom and dad are 45 and 48 respectively in January and I'm 24 in January. :) . All my friends have parents 10-15 years older.

I'm actually normally in the middle of the pack of the group (except for my closest friends; then I'm oldest). What screws with people is when I tell them my mom and dad are 45 and 48 respectively in January and I'm 24 in January. :) . All my friends have parents 10-15 years older.

My parents are insanely young too, compared to other people my age. They had kids young.

my brother is older than my parent's marriage. my mom would have been 19 if she had him but he's adopted. They started having bio kids at 25 and 26. But still were older since I am the youngest

Oh wow. I'm a couple years younger than you and my parents are in their 50s and 60s.

Unite! My parents are 43, 44 respectively, and I'm 25. My mother had me veeerrry young.