"Saving" Stray Cat vs. Stealing Owned Outdoor Cat (No ID)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My parents are insanely young too, compared to other people my age. They had kids young.

Unite! My parents are 43, 44 respectively, and I'm 25. My mother had me veeerrry young.

I actually really like the fact they had us young, especially comparing what I've been able to do with my parents compared to my friends' experiences. If I don't get in this cycle and I decide to not reapply, the man and I are going to have a serious timeline discussion on babies. Lol. It's nice to know other people's parents wanted to get this show on the road.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually really like the fact they had us young, especially comparing what I've been able to do with my parents compared to my friends' experiences. If I don't get in this cycle and I decide to not reapply, the man and I are going to have a serious timeline discussion on babies. Lol. It's nice to know other people's parents wanted to get this show on the road.

I'd never (well too late now since I'm 27) have kids young after watching my parents struggle. They had 4 kids by the time they were 24 and 26. Never, ever would I have done that. Not to mention, I don't really want children.

I'd never (well too late now since I'm 27) have kids young after watching my parents struggle. They had 4 kids by the time they were 24 and 26. Never, ever would I have done that. Not to mention, I don't really want children.
God, I can't even imagine myself pregnant right now, veterinary school or not! My parents had me when they were 33/34, and I'm turning 24 in January. Early 30s sounds like a good age for me, but I also have some health issues that put my fertility in jeopardy which is putting a lot of pressure on my boyfriend and I. I know a few high school classmates that are on their second, third, and even fourth kids at 23. It's just crazy to me.

I honestly just don't think I'll make a good mom. I think I'm too pessimistic and worried about my career. I also don't want to be a mom who works 10-12 hours a day and never sees the kids.

Members don't see this ad :)

I understand that. I've talked to my parents about that aspect of it since it's something I want to do. We weren't really struggling (at the time we were young) and lived a basic middle class lifestyle at that time. They don't regret their decision and are glad that when the struggles came, we were older and understood what was happening.

But it is all about what each family's situation is. I wouldn't have a child now because it would be extremely difficult with my job and I am not living with my boyfriend. Like PP, I have health issues that make having kids older a poor decision. So it's all about what is going on in people's lives.

I understand that. I've talked to my parents about that aspect of it since it's something I want to do. We weren't really struggling (at the time we were young) and lived a basic middle class lifestyle at that time. They don't regret their decision and are glad that when the struggles came, we were older and understood what was happening.

But it is all about what each family's situation is. I wouldn't have a child now because it would be extremely difficult with my job and I am not living with my boyfriend. Like PP, I have health issues that make having kids older a poor decision. So it's all about what is going on in people's lives.
Plus all of the medications I'm on are definitely not safe to take during pregnancy. Like, bad things would happen. For me personally, planning for a child might take several months to a year's worth of doctor's visits and careful planning so as not to risk my personal health either. That puts even more pressure on me to start younger with the added planning time we'll have to take. My boyfriend wants children badly (not that he wants them right now or anything), so it puts me in a bad position of choosing to get my DVM and try to have a kid, or try to get a residency underway/finished then have a kid. Who knows where I'd end up for a residency, who knows if he'd get a job where I'd end up, etc. There would have to be a wedding at some point, too, because my boyfriend wants things to happen in the traditional order. That's fine with me, but he doesn't want to get married until I graduate. Which further pushes things back. So many parts to all of this! :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
That struggle, PP. I don't have nearly that bad of a situation.

That struggle, PP. I don't have nearly that bad of a situation.
I mean I'm not near death or anything. It's just one of those crappy things that only us lucky females get affected by. My endocrinologist also only informed me of my medications' side effects THIS YEAR and I've been seeing her since I was 18. I could have looked these things up myself, but most 18 year olds don't think about things like that. I'm just hoping life treats me well, that's all I can ask. Also sad that my little sister just got diagnosed with the same disease, so that's pretty sucky (bad breeding :p my older sister has all kinds of problems too). It's just yet another thing to eat away at me as I go through these 4 years. Had I not been pre-vet, I may very well be engaged by now.

Well, if I don't get into vet school, maybe I'll be at the fertility clinic y'all visit to make babies later on. (In the opposite of what I want to happen world in just about every way (and yes, I realize embryologist is a hell of a fallback plan))

Well, if I don't get into vet school, maybe I'll be at the fertility clinic y'all visit to make babies later on. (In the opposite of what I want to happen world in just about every way (and yes, I realize embryologist is a hell of a fallback plan)
:laugh:

What? I already have the degree... that's the job that I put on hold to try one last time to go to vet school / get a PhD.
Just funny that you may or may not be handling my failing reproductive situation at one point!

Reactions: 2 users
I know that this is an old thread, but my indoor/outdoor cat is very friendly and she keeps following strangers who assume that she's abandoned, while she's really just trying to achieve her lifelong goal of becoming fat. She has a microchip, a collar with a tag ID that has my phone number, and she doesn't look abandoned at all. Can anyone confirm that the vet has to check for a microchip when seeing a new pet and has to notify me since I've flagged my pet as missing?

I know that this is an old thread, but my indoor/outdoor cat is very friendly and she keeps following strangers who assume that she's abandoned, while she's really just trying to achieve her lifelong goal of becoming fat. She has a microchip, a collar with a tag ID that has my phone number, and she doesn't look abandoned at all. Can anyone confirm that the vet has to check for a microchip when seeing a new pet and has to notify me since I've flagged my pet as missing?
they aren't required to.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, but that doesn't mean it happens every time for a variety of reasons.

Thanks.
I wish people would stop rescuing my perfectly healthy, friendly cat.
I'll have to keep her indoors, even the tags aren't working.

Thanks.
I wish people would stop rescuing my perfectly healthy, friendly cat.
I'll have to keep her indoors, even the tags aren't working.

To be fair, some people seeing a cat outside might think they are in imminent danger of being hit by a car, stolen, shot, beat up by another cat, etc. If I see a healthy, friendly cat outside, I can't just leave them because I'm scared something bad will happen and then I would never be able to forgive myself. I think keeping your cat inside is the most responsible thing you can go for your cat and the environment!

Reactions: 3 users
To be fair, some people seeing a cat outside might think they are in imminent danger of being hit by a car, stolen, shot, beat up by another cat, etc. If I see a healthy, friendly cat outside, I can't just leave them because I'm scared something bad will happen and then I would never be able to forgive myself. I think keeping your cat inside is the most responsible thing you can go for your cat and the environment!

I have a really nice, big yard where she could play safely. It just sucks that she won't get to enjoy it.

I have a really nice, big yard where she could play safely. It just sucks that she won't get to enjoy it.

Have you considered an electric fence, or just walking her on a leash? These are both viable options for letting kitties have outdoor time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well one could argue that if she's following strange people off your property... then she's not playing safely in your yard. Unless people are actually walking into your property to get her.

Ever considered making her a catio?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Agreed. If I see tags or the cat looks to be in good condition and is friendly, it's going in my garage or laundry room until I can get it scanned for a chip or check Craiglist/lost pet ads. With that being said, I only do all of that because the first thing I think is 'lost pet.' I don't pick up cats that I know to be part of the feral colony near me.

OP, you'd be surprised how many people see a lost pet and actually just end up keeping it. My neighbors found a wandering chihuahua (not exactly the type of dog you'd expect to be feral) and just kept it. Put no effort into finding an owner. If you can't keep your cat from wandering, it might be best to make her indoors. If she bugs you about going out, walk her on a harness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My cats are indoor/outdoor, with a strict indoor rule at night that they are very good about following. I don't want my cats to go outside at all, but it's an unfortunate aspect of my current living arrangement, and I can't beat not paying rent. Anyway, yesterday we found a ribbon with a note on it right next to one of our windows. The note said "My daytime friend would like to know my name, please call her at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Her name is Tish" We were looking at it trying to figure out what it meant. I assumed it had been attached to a helium balloon (that was a thing we did in elementary school to see how far the balloon would travel). Then I realized the ribbon had been tied around an animals neck... likely one of my cats! I googled the phone number and found the address, and the house is very close to mine. I also noticed recently one of my cats has been gaining weight despite the fact that I have cut back his feed significantly, so I suspect he is the one that has been visiting this woman. I haven't called her yet, but I will, I just don't know how to politely ask "Hey, if you've been feeding him, could you please stop? He gets fed plenty at home!"

Edit: Two of my cats refuse to keep collars on, but all three are microchipped and all contact info is up to date.

Coming in to this a bit late but...here's my 2 cents.

I agree with the OP, the first case of finding a pet, getting them scanned, putting up fliers, contacting AC, and eventually adopting the cat is completely reasonable. As far as I know there's no law in our area about it, but I do know that the AC has people post fliers in the area and there's a 10 day waiting period before the folks who found the cat officially can adopt it.

As for the indoor/outdoor cat debate, if I had my way I'd have a completely dome enclosed cat back yard, but I'm a crazy cat lady in the making. :p I don't let my cats outside, because I hate seeing HBC/FeLV +/BBBD/absess/song bird fever/anticoagulent poisoned/raccoon attacked cats come in at work. There's just fewer ways for an indoor cat to get hurt or die horribly. I also volunteer as a wildlife rehabilitator, and the fatality rate for birds caught by cats is upwards of 70% (little hunters with their mouth bacteria...). So I'm really in favor of keeping cats inside for their sake and for the sake of our wildlife. All that being said, if I had a nice big back yard in a safe(r) area with fewer cars, I'd probably let my cats sun themselves outside under supervision. And I know some people who have cats that really aren't happy as indoor only cats, so I understand my preference isn't for everyone. Also, the one time my female busted through the window screen to freedom, she managed to get her collar off in the process. Sigh.

About microchipping. Every pet should have one, especially cats. People see a dog roaming around and they usually (depending on where you live) see that as unusual, try and catch it or report it to AC. But we're so used to seeing cats dodge across the street most people don't even try to catch and confirm they have owners. So if a cat is found injured, the only way anyone will know it has a person is if it's microchipped. Collars just aren't reliable enough. We recently had a HBC cat who had no collar but did have a microchip and we were able to reunite the owners and fix the cat. We had another case where an owner left the door open and her two kittens got out. One was killed by a car and she never found the other, assumed the worst. EIGHT YEARS later a good Samaritan finds an injured cat, brings him in, and she gets a phone call--it was the second kitten. Microchip your d@mn cat, that's all I have to say. Even if she's old, or knows her territory, or whatever other excuse you have, it's a quick poke and most cats I've microchipped tolerate it just fine. It's a cheap and easy way to give your cat the best chance of finding her way back to you if she's ever lost or hurt.

I don't really care that much about the indoor/outdoor thing from a cat perspective. Outdoor cats enjoy being outdoors. It's like not letting your dog roughhouse for fear of a CCL injury. I also don't think it should be on the cat finder's shoulders to give you your cat back. You're okay with Whiskers being hit by a car, mauled by a dog, eaten by coyotes, infected with something nasty etc. but not okay with the possibility that he finds another home with people that also appear to care about him? I'm a not a pick a healthy cat up off of the street sort of guy, but I can only imagine that the people who are care enough about cats to take decent care of them.

On the other hand, cats do horrific damage to small wildlife populations. A big analysis that I'll link below found that most of it was done by cats without owners, but any cat that it outside without obvious identification could be one of those unowned cats, and plenty of cats that start off as indoor/outdoor cats eventually become ownerless cats. I figure that anyone with an interest in biology should be concerned about biodiversity, and so the question of whether or not we should be letting cats outside in the first place is maybe a more important discussion to have?

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v4/n1/full/ncomms2380.html

I DO have a huge issue with outdoor cats or indoor/outdoor cats because they do a shocking amount of damage to the environment. I could care less about the risks to the cat; that is the cat and the cat owner's problem. I actually don't mind outdoor cats that are in enclosures; at least then the native animal has to get into the enclosure to become prey for fun or food. We routinely surrender any and all cats we encounter anywhere on or near our property (ie state land, county land, anything but private property) to our local animal control with the full knowledge that unless an owner claims them, they likely won't survive. We also have some species at risk on our property, and I personally do value those more than stray, feral or roaming cats. Personal decision. I don't shoot them with buckshot; a common & legal practice in my home county.

As for laws; every state, county, and municipality will be different. Most of the ones I have lived in require surrender to the shelter/AC for the reclaim period. One thing I have learned is that in poorer and/or less organized counties, the AC officers may NOT know the various laws that affect what has to be done with an animal to make the 'finders' legally clear to own the animal.

I have actually witnessed (and shut down an HS because of) over-zealous individuals use 'stray' or 'running loose' as an excuse to steal animals that they didn't feel were being appropriatly cared for. By running loose, I do mean opening gates, enticing animals away, etc (and I do believe they were outright stealing in some instances.) Heck, there is a show on TV that shows men cutting into a fenced yard to steal an animal; apparently it is the new acceptable behavior.

So, in the case you mentioned, both could be in the right, both could be in the wrong, or somewhere in between. I prefer counties where ALL found animals must be fully surrendered for re-claim or adoption because I think it clarifies a lot of this.

Can you advise regarding the basis for your statement that it is legal to shoot stray/feral/roaming cats in your county? This seems a clear violation of NC state animal cruelty law, which could not be superseded by county law. Just curious, not trying to start a fight! :)

Can you advise regarding the basis for your statement that it is legal to shoot stray/feral/roaming cats in your county? This seems a clear violation of NC state animal cruelty law, which could not be superseded by county law. Just curious, not trying to start a fight! :)
you're quoting a post from 2010. I don't even know if sumstorm even checks SDN anymore.

you're quoting a post from 2010. I don't even know if sumstorm even checks SDN anymore.

Aha, thanks for the heads up.

I am still curious about this statement (that it is legal to shoot feral cats in certain county/ies in NC) though, and internet searching has not helped. Does anyone have any helpful info or thoughts?

I am still curious about this statement (that it is legal to shoot feral cats in certain county/ies in NC) though, and internet searching has not helped. Does anyone have any helpful info or thoughts?
it may be legal to shoot them in a humane manner if they are causing problems with livestock (chickens, etc) or such. I'd have to see the actual laws, but it may not be considered cruelty if done in a certain manner.

it may be legal to shoot them in a humane manner if they are causing problems with livestock (chickens, etc) or such. I'd have to see the actual laws, but it may not be considered cruelty if done in a certain manner.

The NC Animal Cruelty statute can be viewed here: https://www.animallaw.info/statute/nc-cruelty-article-47-cruelty-animals

There is an exception to the cruelty statute for "The lawful destruction of any animal for the purposes of protecting the public, other animals, property, or the public health." Typically, the term "lawful" as used in this context means "as expressly permitted by other law." So, it does seem possible that a county could pass a specific ordinance authorizing private citizens to kill feral/stray/roaming cats for the purposes of protecting wildlife and thus triggering this exception. I can't find any indication online that any counties have actually done so. Seems like this is a sensitive issue that would capture some media attention if it were passed.

The NC Animal Cruelty statute can be viewed here: https://www.animallaw.info/statute/nc-cruelty-article-47-cruelty-animals

There is an exception to the cruelty statute for "The lawful destruction of any animal for the purposes of protecting the public, other animals, property, or the public health." Typically, the term "lawful" as used in this context means "as expressly permitted by other law." So, it does seem possible that a county could pass a specific ordinance authorizing private citizens to kill feral/stray/roaming cats for the purposes of protecting wildlife and thus triggering this exception. I can't find any indication online that any counties have actually done so. Seems like this is a sensitive issue that would capture some media attention if it were passed.
you dont have to pass an ordinance. The exception is already stated. You can kill stray cats if they are damaging you, your property, or another animal. You can even do so if you have a suspicion that the cat has rabies.

Your interpretation may be correct, though I suspect it is more complicated than that as a legal matter. As an attorney-turned-vet-student, this interests me and I'm surprised at the dearth of readily available info online. But perhaps I'm just not googling efficiently :)

It also may be that it is just accepted by those areas. A lot of small mid-western towns allow people to shoot cats, gophers, prairie dogs, etc no questions asked with no law stating one way or another. Plenty of my rural friends have shot feral cats as they grew up because they were messing with chickens, messing with their barn cats, whatever. I would imagine other small town/rural areas in other parts of the country could have similar ideas.

I just found this very old thread. I am trying to find protocol for dealing with a neighbor that lured my very friendly indoor/outdoor cat into her enclosed porch, took photos and posted her as "Found" on social media. One would think that she should have or would have checked with her neighbors first to see if they had a "Lost" cat; but, she did not. Someone across town answered her posting and she let them take my Raja more than four miles away from home - she was only across the street when she was "Found". I spoke with the person who picked her up and she escaped their house and now my kitty is in a strange neighborhood and we are searching for her. It appears that my neighbor may have done this with two previous cats (not mine) from our very quiet court. My cat would only go between my house and the cluster mailbox, where she would walk down with us. She was not out 24/7 and some days did not go out at all. She had been an outdoor only cat before coming to our house and it was near impossible to keep her in for more than 24 hours. What do I do?? How do we stop this from happening again? So very frustrated and heart-broken.

I just found this very old thread. I am trying to find protocol for dealing with a neighbor that lured my very friendly indoor/outdoor cat into her enclosed porch, took photos and posted her as "Found" on social media. One would think that she should have or would have checked with her neighbors first to see if they had a "Lost" cat; but, she did not. Someone across town answered her posting and she let them take my Raja more than four miles away from home - she was only across the street when she was "Found". I spoke with the person who picked her up and she escaped their house and now my kitty is in a strange neighborhood and we are searching for her. It appears that my neighbor may have done this with two previous cats (not mine) from our very quiet court. My cat would only go between my house and the cluster mailbox, where she would walk down with us. She was not out 24/7 and some days did not go out at all. She had been an outdoor only cat before coming to our house and it was near impossible to keep her in for more than 24 hours. What do I do?? How do we stop this from happening again? So very frustrated and heart-broken.

Does your cat have any ID? A microchip? A collar with city tags +/- a tag with your name and phone number? Having identification is so important when trying to make sure your cat returns to you if lost.

Also, I know how it can be tough to keep them indoors but that's really the best way to ensure they aren't "saved" by someone else, hit by a car, attacked by another animal, etc. There simply isn't a better preventative measure.

Reactions: 4 users
Very sorry to hear about your missing cat.

Search all of the neighborhoods where your cat might be roaming around.

Post notices or hand-out fliers in the neighborhoods with a description/visual photo of "Lost - Missing Cat."

TO DO LIST:

1. Go to the animal shelter (in person to "see" if your cat has been placed in the shelter). Do this IMMEDIATELY (and more than one time) just in case your cat has been placed in an animal shelter. Speak with animal shelter about your missing cat - bring description and photo of your missing cat.
2. Contact your city's animal service bureau about your missing cat.
3. Contact local animal rescue groups about your missing cat. Rescue group folks are often great resources. So, speak to them.
4. Contact DVM offices about your missing cat, and contact anyone, or anything else, you can think about, etc.

Agree 100% with @Caia. Always microchip cat, and promptly register microchip with cat's DVM office (plus PETtrac); and keep cat inside. A pet ID collar can be removed by anyone (including many clever or struggling cats) - so I always prefer microchips for that reason. I hope you find your cat!

Thank you.

I need some advice, here.
Last night, we were throwing a party at my boyfriend's house for his birthday. There are a lot of stray cats in the area, and most of them are very wary of people. When one of our guests was outside, he called one of them over, and it came inside. He's extremely friendly and definitely belongs or did belong to someone at some point, but he's intact. I would normally assume he was someone's pet and let him back out so he could go home, but I keep thinking of all the stray little kittens he's contributing to.
I took a picture of him and posted it on both lost and found Facebooks for our city. I took him to the clinic I work at to scan him, and he isn't chipped. I also got him tested for FIV sand FeLV because I have a cat of my own, and he was negative. It's a holiday, so animal control isn't open today, but I'll be calling them first thing tomorrow to report him. I'm also going to post fliers around the area my boyfriend lives in.
I keep thinking I should let him out because he probably has a family somewhere, but it really bothers me that he's intact. I also keep thinking about the possibility that he was abandoned because his owners moved or something. I really like this cat, and I would like to adopt him if he doesn't have a home. I don't want to take away someone's baby, though.
My boyfriend's roommate is allergic to cats, so he can't stay there, but I really don't want to bring an intact cat to my apartment with my neutered cat. I'm leaving him at the clinic I work at during the day tomorrow so that they can watch him and give him an RV, just in case. I could get him neutered this week, and then he could stay with me until we find his owner, but I'm so scared that someone will claim him later and be furious that I neutered their cat.
What do you guys think I should do?

I keep thinking I should let him out because he probably has a family somewhere, but it really bothers me that he's intact.

So, you gotta do your due diligence before you do anything else physical with this cat. In the eyes of the law, he is property. You don't really have the right to get this cat neutered if he is owned. That's the owner's right to decide. If you want to keep this cat, you'll have to follow the letter of the law on obtaining him.

I absolutely would not neuter him until you own him yourself. Neutering him before finding the owner is not the way to go.

So, you gotta do your due diligence before you do anything else physical with this cat. In the eyes of the law, he is property. You don't really have the right to get this cat neutered if he is owned. That's the owner's right to decide. If you want to keep this cat, you'll have to follow the letter of the law on obtaining him.

I absolutely would not neuter him until you own him yourself. Neutering him before finding the owner is not the way to go.
Thanks. That's what my instincts were telling me.
Now I just have to figure out what to do with him in the meantime.
Do you think I should put him back outside?

Thanks. That's what my instincts were telling me.
Now I just have to figure out what to do with him in the meantime.
Do you think I should put him back outside?

Personally, no. I would turn him into animal control. But then again, I am from a state with a low euthanasia rate in their shelters. If there was a high rate of cat euthanasia, I would keep him while putting up the fliers and such.

I need some advice, here.
Last night, we were throwing a party at my boyfriend's house for his birthday. There are a lot of stray cats in the area, and most of them are very wary of people. When one of our guests was outside, he called one of them over, and it came inside. He's extremely friendly and definitely belongs or did belong to someone at some point, but he's intact. I would normally assume he was someone's pet and let him back out so he could go home, but I keep thinking of all the stray little kittens he's contributing to.
I took a picture of him and posted it on both lost and found Facebooks for our city. I took him to the clinic I work at to scan him, and he isn't chipped. I also got him tested for FIV sand FeLV because I have a cat of my own, and he was negative. It's a holiday, so animal control isn't open today, but I'll be calling them first thing tomorrow to report him. I'm also going to post fliers around the area my boyfriend lives in.
I keep thinking I should let him out because he probably has a family somewhere, but it really bothers me that he's intact. I also keep thinking about the possibility that he was abandoned because his owners moved or something. I really like this cat, and I would like to adopt him if he doesn't have a home. I don't want to take away someone's baby, though.
My boyfriend's roommate is allergic to cats, so he can't stay there, but I really don't want to bring an intact cat to my apartment with my neutered cat. I'm leaving him at the clinic I work at during the day tomorrow so that they can watch him and give him an RV, just in case. I could get him neutered this week, and then he could stay with me until we find his owner, but I'm so scared that someone will claim him later and be furious that I neutered their cat.
What do you guys think I should do?
Personally, I'd neuter him. I have done TNR and I know we've neutered owned cats on the regular. Not once has an owner come back to us angry that their cat was neutered. Some are pissed about the ear tip, but as far as we knew, it was a feral cat. If someone contacts you after he is neutered, you can claim ignorance. He was like that when you found him, you just didn't notice.

Personally, I'd neuter him. I have done TNR and I know we've neutered owned cats on the regular. Not once has an owner come back to us angry that their cat was neutered. Some are pissed about the ear tip, but as far as we knew, it was a feral cat. If someone contacts you after he is neutered, you can claim ignorance. He was like that when you found him, you just didn't notice.
Uh
I disagree with this. It’s one thing to neuter a cat you assume is feral it’s another thing to neuter a cat you think might belong to someone.

Uh
I disagree with this. It’s one thing to neuter a cat you assume is feral it’s another thing to neuter a cat you think might belong to someone.

With the obvious moral ambiguity of intentional lying. It's one thing to put forth the effort to find an owner, not find one, neuter, and then an owner turns up. It's entirely different neutering with the intent to lie if an owner shows up after the fact.

Most places I've lived the stray hold is just 3-5 days or so. Maybe report him 'found' and then just see if you can board him at the clinic if local animal control authorities allow that and neuter+adopt him when that hold is up. Likely, if you did neuter him, nothing would happen even if the owner was upset (since the animal was at large), but worst case I could see someone trying to sue you for 'harming' their property. I don't think it would go far, but it could be a hassle for you. Better to stay on the up and up, imo. You could also turn him in to animal control, tell them you want him once his hold is up, and then go adopt him so there is no murkiness about ownership. Thae last idea is probably what I'd do so there's a paper trail about what happened.

Our rule for cats at the shelter was "if it's intact and outside, it's unowned." :shrug: So far it hasn't been a problem and this rescue has been around a very long time. I have to admit, they also didn't ever really look for the original owner, and personally, I'm ok with that. I guess I just have very strong feelings about letting intact animals outside.

I have to admit, they also didn't ever really look for the original owner, and personally, I'm ok with that. I guess I just have very strong feelings about letting intact animals outside.
How do you know they all were purposefully let outside? Cats are sneaky little creatures and can slip out before you can stop them.

How many intact male cats do you have living indoors?
My friend had two intact male cats in her apartment for THREE YEARS!! She'd have sent nudes to people if they neutered them for her. When I found out, I was like "girl, why didn't you tell me? I could have totally helped with finding affordable neutering for you."