schedule of a retail pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm00123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've accepted a job offer with walgreens and was basically told I would have to work every other wknd. Kinda sucks because I already have so many upcoming events on the weekends and don't even know what wknds I will be working yet (no schedule yet and will be floating). Is there any way to request unpaid time off?? Or can you only use your paid time off if you want to request a weekend of day off? I'm totally fine for not getting paid because I dont wanna use all my PTO on random weekends

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to retail pharmacy/most pharmacy jobs. You will probably be using PTO for those days you want, but it seems you're new so you won't have that option most likely until a certain number of days pass. Best option is to switch shifts with other pharmacists/owe them a day of work

You can't usually take time off for first few months (60/90 days). Definitely not paid. Swapping shifts will probably be only option , but then again it's the weekends we are talking about and that too summers, it's going to be hard. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
This type of schedule is typical of retail pharmacy, from my experience. At least in the big chains. My old PIC has been in the same store for 25 years and still works every other weekend, alternating with his staff pharmacist.

But isn't it poor form to start asking for days off after just starting a job, reguardless of profession?

I have asked for days off during the hire process (if I have vacation already paid for, big events) but try to limit. Every other weekend is pretty common for retail, during my stint in purgatory it was every fourth because there were three of us, and one wanted every other (wife was a RN). Hospital - every 4th seems to be the most common.

So I've accepted a job offer with walgreens and was basically told I would have to work every other wknd. Kinda sucks because I already have so many upcoming events on the weekends and don't even know what wknds I will be working yet (no schedule yet and will be floating). Is there any way to request unpaid time off?? Or can you only use your paid time off if you want to request a weekend of day off? I'm totally fine for not getting paid because I dont wanna use all my PTO on random weekends

You should be grateful you have a job with all the naysayers on this board.

Best you can do is make friends quickly, get their numbers and ask if they can switch. Be forewarned, you'll probably end up working three weekends in a row if they agree and you take their weekend.

Having some weekdays off every once in a while is very helpful. I always like to work a consistent evening shift so I can run errands.

There are still a few retail jobs and quite a few hospital jobs that require no weekends if you look for them. Some retail companies are closed on Sunday and that is always a nice thing.

Reactions: 1 user
I do too. It's not bad most of the time. We have a couple part time ppl that only want weekend and will take your shift ocassionally. It's nice for vacations-- work Sunday-Wednesday and get Thursday and Friday off for free.
we cannot take time off of the weekends, have to trade if we want them off, but we don't employ PRN people, a couple of part timers, but basic rule is we have to work our fair share of weekends, or trade weekdays with other full time people.

Go into market scheduling-employee-change availability-short term. There you can block off days in the schedule before the schedule goes out (do at least 3 weeks ahead of time). The dates have to be approved. They don't count as time off, you're just putting in your days off where you want them. Hope this helps!

Go into market scheduling-employee-change availability-short term. There you can block off days in the schedule before the schedule goes out (do at least 3 weeks ahead of time). The dates have to be approved. They don't count as time off, you're just putting in your days off where you want them. Hope this helps!
Oh this is awesome, thanks! This works for floating pharmacists right? I know we don't have a set schedule so I'm hoping this works. They also wont count those days as PTO right?

Oh this is awesome, thanks! This works for floating pharmacists right? I know we don't have a set schedule so I'm hoping this works. They also wont count those days as PTO right?
This is how you need to do it if you are a floater. It won't count as PTO since you are blocking off days from being added to your schedule, not technically asking for the time off.

This is how you need to do it if you are a floater. It won't count as PTO since you are blocking off days from being added to your schedule, not technically asking for the time off.

Just make sure to suck up to the market scheduler beforehand. When they call you to work extra shifts, you say yes. That way when you ask for a day off you can be like "remember all those times I helped you out and covered those shifts?" And you'll be more likely to get those days off.

I've seen this happen for years. The pharmacists that pick up the extra shifts ALWAYS get their time off requests approved. The pharmacists that don't work extra shifts tend to have a 50/50 chance of getting the day approved.

Or worst case scenario, negotiate with them. If they call you to work an extra shift, ask for them to approve your day off first and you'll work the shift. I've seen that happen too. That one is very brazen though and I wouldn't recommend it haha.

...Or worst case scenario, negotiate with them. If they call you to work an extra shift, ask for them to approve your day off first and you'll work the shift. I've seen that happen too. That one is very brazen though and I wouldn't recommend it haha.
This is not hard to pull off for last minute requests or on weeks when you have very few days off. Just say you have something you need to do that takes all day (deal with the DMV, drive to a city a few hrs away, whatever), so you can help them out if they get you your desired day off to do your task.

Im the opposite, Id rather work weekends cause there is less volume and like weekdays off to do errands.

Im the opposite, Id rather work weekends cause there is less volume and like weekdays off to do errands.
You either don't work for CVS, or love making phone calls.