Scheduling 4th year electives and picking a specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrammCracker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year and right now I'm interested in either neurology or pathology. At my school, we make our 4th year schedules in Dec-Jan. I really would like to schedule electives pertaining to the specialty I want to match in during July and August so I can hopefully get some letters. Unfortunately I won't have my neuro rotation until March. If I decide to schedule my neuro elective in July and end up having a horrible experience when I do my rotation in March, that will be a big waste of an elective. I'm also not 100% sure about path. My school will only allow us to do electives during 4th year so the only way I will know for certain if I like path (I do have some shadowing experience) will be to do an elective during my 4th year. Ideally I would want to do it next summer so I will know if I enjoy it before I start to apply.

I know it's too early to be worrying about this stuff but my friends and I were talking about this the other day. I guess I'm just wondering if it's easy to change your mind about your 4th year schedule and to make alterations. The 4th years here at my school say that it's so complicated so I don't know what I'm going to do.

Members don't see this ad.