Scheduling classes during the interviewing period

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HodgeHex

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just posted another thread which ties into this one but this is more of a separate question.

I plan on taking physics II and biochem in the spring. I am tempted however just to take physics II in the fall. The only thing which worries me is missing classes due to interviews. In terms of work, I am fine as I would take less hours and I could miss days for interviews so it's no problem. Is it smarter to wait until spring to take the last pre-reqs so my schedule wouldn't contain interviews or would it be better just to take physics II in the fall do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Who says you can't have interviews during spring semester?

Chances are that you will at least miss some class (especially if you receive multiple interviews). However, schools are fairly flexible when it comes to scheduling interviews so you should be able to push it back if you absolutely can't attend that date.

Members don't see this ad :)
A similar question - what about classes that have mandatory attendance? For example, I'm taking a literature class over the summer, and if you miss 3 classes, you automatically receive an F for the course. Which is crap, IMO, as the course is stupid easy. I've read the the syllabus for one of my upcoming fall courses (A&P) and while the attendance policy is not anywhere near as strict, you do miss points for not being present.Would you speculate that if I spoke to the instructor beforehand, they would likely be understanding of the matter?

For what it's worth (not much), I think attendance policies like the above have no place in college - I'm a 27 year old adult, I think I know how to take care of my own ish.

A similar question - what about classes that have mandatory attendance? For example, I'm taking a literature class over the summer, and if you miss 3 classes, you automatically receive an F for the course. Which is crap, IMO, as the course is stupid easy. I've read the the syllabus for one of my upcoming fall courses (A&P) and while the attendance policy is not anywhere near as strict, you do miss points for not being present.Would you speculate that if I spoke to the instructor beforehand, they would likely be understanding of the matter?

For what it's worth (not much), I think attendance policies like the above have no place in college - I'm a 27 year old adult, I think I know how to take care of my own ish.

All of my teachers were VERY understanding about my interview dates. In my biochem class, for example, I had test dates fall on ALL THREE of my interviews!!! She let me take the tests early, which was nice!

Just as a courtesy, I'd always send my teachers the official confirmation e-mail with my interview dates.

A smart thing you can do is go and and let your professors know during the first week of class that you are in the process of applying to dental schools and hope to have interviews during the fall semester. Tell them you will give them notice as soon as you find out about interview dates, and ask them about what their policy is with these sorts of absences. They should be excused.

I just posted another thread which ties into this one but this is more of a separate question.

I plan on taking physics II and biochem in the spring. I am tempted however just to take physics II in the fall. The only thing which worries me is missing classes due to interviews. In terms of work, I am fine as I would take less hours and I could miss days for interviews so it's no problem. Is it smarter to wait until spring to take the last pre-reqs so my schedule wouldn't contain interviews or would it be better just to take physics II in the fall do you think?

It's stressful to miss class, but many of us have dealt with it and come out just fine! :) I think you're smart to just take one or the other, though. It'd get rid of some stress. Take whichever one should be "easier" (that being a relative term, of course).