Scheduling electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikachu

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year, definitely want to do Rad Onc. Good step 1 scores, some research (clinical), probably middle 1/3 of my class, not AOA, good recs (I hope). I have heard that taking 3rd/4th year electives in the field is a pretty important part of applying for residency. Unfortunately, at my school it is nearly impossible to do electives during 3rd year (speaking of medieval). So I have a bunch of questions at this point and am getting little to no guidance from my school. Big freakin' surprise there.

-How many electives in rad onc should I do?

-I'm already planning on doing one elective at my medical school but I probably won't be able to do it until July at the earliest. Is this bad?

-When is the best time to do the "audition rotations" and is it better to do them at a program you think you have a good chance of getting into or at a long shot type place?

-Do you recommend a research rotation? If so, when? Oh, yeah, my school doesn't really permit research rotations either, so I would have to use one of my months off and not receive any credit for it. Is it still worth it?

-Is there one of those stupid little smilies that signifies "neurotic?" Because I think I need one right about now.

Thanks -- I have been reading the forums for a long time and this is my first post here. I apologize in advance if these questions have been done to death already.

Members don't see this ad.

At least one, preferably two. Let the folks in the field get to know you and say nice things about you; that's a key element.

-I'm already planning on doing one elective at my medical school but I probably won't be able to do it until July at the earliest. Is this bad?

not likely

-When is the best time to do the "audition rotations" and is it better to do them at a program you think you have a good chance of getting into or at a long shot type place?

Without soundling like IM stating the obvious, prior to the match and LOR submission time. PErhaps back to back with your july rotation? THe second part of your question is tougher. It depends on you. Some like do them at more low key places in hopes of getting offered a spot out side the match (which still happens) and others want to get great letters from big places which hold weight (and may decide they really like you too). That's your cross to bear in terms of decision making Im afraid.

-Do you recommend a research rotation? If so, when? Oh, yeah, my school doesn't really permit research rotations either, so I would have to use one of my months off and not receive any credit for it. Is it still worth it?

Also tough. My instinct here is to say it depends upon you again-a rotation for amonth or two really doesnt perk the application up. Try ongoing involvment in clinical research. MOst who have basic lab stuff have done several months of dedicated time. But if you do have some time off you dont mind spending in a lab without losing time, maybe you'd like to do it. Or maybe you'd like to dedicate to a clinical project you can get out with your name first?? Hard call. Anyone?

-Is there one of those stupid little smilies that signifies "neurotic?" Because I think I need one right about now.
The little guy throwing the computer is good. Or the bug-eyed one.

Thanks -- I have been reading the forums for a long time and this is my first post here. I apologize in advance if these questions have been done to death already.

all the best to you.
Steph

One at your home institution. Maybe a couple of audition rotations? But I don't think it would be wise to spend most of your year doing rad onc rotations. Think about taking some other electives that are interesting to you -- med school may be the last opportunity to take these interesting courses/clerkships.

I did mine in July because I didn't have time in 3rd year for electives. It turned out just fine. It's a great time to ask for letters of recommendation. It's also when the first year rad onc residents started, so the morning conference lectures covered basic principles (which turned out to be very useful!).

Try to schedule it early because July might be a popular month for rad onc rotations.

Steph said it well :)

I don't know if getting credit is an important issue here. At my school, basically everyone has enough "credits" for graduation; if this is also true at your school, then whether you get credit should not be a deciding factor in the considerations.

Research is good, and has been highly recommended by everyone on this forum (see previous discussions). The experience of research in and of itself is valuable, but what will make your research experience "worth it" may be: 1) letter(s) of recommendation from your research advisor(s), 2) a product (abstract, paper).

:)

best of luck! this is a great field!