Scheduling Interviews when you have a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pangarocket

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting a new job and don't think I'll have a lot of vacation/sick days.
Are there are strategies to scheduling interviews while working a full time job- are schools more lenient with scheduling for people who are working?
How have you guys dealt with this? And should I be completely truthful with my employer and tell them the real reason for why I'm leaving (and risk being fired) or make up excuses?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, if you get an interview to dental school, (or any other "Pre-Health (Field Undecided)" school), it is more important than your current job. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but you'd be better off taking a day of from a job to interview for your career.

Reactions: 4 users
I told them in the the hiring process that I would eventually like to go to dental school so 8 mo later when I told them I might have to take some time fof for interviews they weren't surprised. I work 4-10 hr days so I was able to switch my days off sometimes, and other times I used my vacation hours. I called off sick a few times also throughout the process. Overall it was kind of stressful, but it ended up working out. Most of my interviews were on a Friday or a Monday and some were on Saturdays. I also did back to back flights which made things more cost effective and I was able to take less days off work. I had 10 interviews, 2 were in-state so I would say that I managed them pretty well for having to fly out a lot. But I think what saved me is having the 4-10 hr days. Opening a Chase Sapphire Rewards card was probably the best idea I had also! I racked soooo many bonus points while traveling haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kept mine a secret and just used my paid time off I accumulated but if it came down to it. I would have had no problem calling in "sick" to go to an interview

Reactions: 4 users
I'd like to hear a few more thoughts/ideas. I'm about to go through a hiring process for a couple of places and I don't want to blatantly lie, but I think that this might be a problem I run into later.

I would be upfront with them and let them know you are in the interviewing process for dental schools and the timeline for that---but not until you have been told you are a finalist or if they ask you if you have any scheduled time off already--usually something they ask when they offer you the job. Tell them you understand the PTO policy is XXX and if need be, you will take that time off unpaid.

It really depends on the job to some extent. If they are viewing you as someone who is going to be on a career path then you might want to keep quiet on the dental school plan and just do your best to figure out how PTO works and start banking it as soon as you start. People change jobs all the time so you shouldn't feel you need to divulge that information if you aren't asked. I got an internship last year that was supposed to transition to a training program and a career. I kept the dental school application under wraps. I got two interviews and made it to both of them, but I was pretty sick to my stomach most of last Fall worrying about making it to interviews. If it's less of a career job then maybe you can open up a little more. Best of luck to you!

thanks for the advice both ajj70 and wjc. I'll wait to see if they make an offer and go from there, but it is more of a career-track position (and I was told as much today).

I'm in the same boat.. I'll be using my sick days and working from home on days I have interviews. It's nerve-wracking to think about, but honestly, if I tell anyone at my workplace about wanting to go to dental school, I'm afraid they might ask me to leave since this is a career-track position. If I don't get into dental school, I at least have this stable and interesting job to hold onto but not if they find out that they're Plan B!

thanks for the advice both ajj70 and wjc. I'll wait to see if they make an offer and go from there, but it is more of a career-track position (and I was told as much today).

That is a bit of a different story then. I was thinking it was more of a job until you get into dental school type job. I would keep quite about your plans and just do your best about missing work for interviews (scheduling flights in the evenings or early mornings, etc. to minimize days out, etc.).

All decent ideas. Does anybody know if there are interviews on the weekends and how much time in advance we can schedule them?

Really varies by the school. I had a Saturday interview and a Monday interview, and I had a month notice with both. I've heard that some schools give less.

Most interviews are during the weekday and they'll notify you at least 1-2 weeks ahead of time, unless you're in-state, they generally give of a notice, someone on here said they were notified 3-4 days before their interview... but it was in state, so yeah...

To address your issue: I think it really depends on the job, is your job completely dependent on you or do you work in a team where someone can cover for you if something comes up? For example, I think it would be a lot harder for a general manager to take a day off than a cashier.

If the job pays well and/or you could see yourself working there an extra year (like worst case scenario if you didn't get in round 1), then I'd keep it under wraps to protect yourself. You might start acquiring days off sooner than you think, but otherwise you'll have to take sick days, unless your job lets you take unpaid days off. I too started a new job a few months after applying last year but there were things about the job I immediately disliked (mainly it was a huge pay cut from the job I had before my post bacc program + very micromanagey) and therefore I kind of didn't care if I got fired. I told my boss in my initial interview with her that I'd be going to dental school "in a year or two" (I'm a non-trad, wasn't sure what the outcome would be). She wasn't in love with it but I told her I'd work weekend days or nights to make up for it. She was still overwhelmed when I was out for the interviews and it was a little weird keeping it from other employees, but such is life. Regarding interviews, some schools will reserve Fridays or Mondays for out of staters, and I bet they will work with you after you explain your situation. I never had any weekend interviews though. Schools should give you ample notice to ask off - I had like a month's notice for all of them but one, which gave me like two weeks.

Oh also, I think when you eventually leave you should certainly tell them you're going to dental school. They should be proud of you! And if they're not, it's not your problem - you'll be starting your real career. ;)

I gave them notice ahead of time that I was applying, when I had an interview sheduled I let my boss know ahead of time, it was never an issue. One that popped up quickly and I felt guilty asking for another day off I just called in sick that day. Gotta do what you gotta do to make the dream happen.

So I got the job offer and I think I'm going to accept. I've also moved forward in the application process at a few schools, and I'm fairly sure I will get a few interviews. I think I will talk to my manager about this during orientation, but I appreciate all the advice and input from everyone!