Scheduling Step 3 Prior to Intern Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicJosh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate on 5/7 and start EM residency this summer. I was hoping to take Step 3 prior to starting residency but saw on the website that I can't even register with the fmsb site until after the official graduation date so I was wondering how the availability is for dates? If I register on the fmsb site on 5/8 will I get my prometric approval to test and then be able to find a date in early late May or early June?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably depends on how fast your school processes everything. Call your student affairs office or academic coordinators; they'll be better resources than anyone here, unless we know what school you're attending.

Also, I'm assuming your residency program doesn't cover step 3 and you can't get it reimbursed through your gme stipend?

Tacking on to this, is it better to take it before intern year or towards the middle/end of intern year? I'm wondering which of these options would give the best chance to pass/do well? I'm also going EM and heard that EM intern year in general is a fantastic prep for this exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to chime in here because I had a similar plan.

I graduated on 5/19 and registered that same day. I received my scheduling permit on 6/1 which was ~2 weeks. In between those two dates, I completed most of the UWorld Step 3 Qbank. I had not started CCS review, however, which appears more problematic if you haven't completed some of intern year.

I ended up scheduling it in July (I had a week of vacation then randomly) because finding a Prometric site that fit my orientation schedule was a challenge. Dates in June were few and far between particularly in popular areas. While technically it would have been possible, logistically it was a nightmare due to moving/orientation etc.

If I have graduated a bit earlier it would have been more feasible.

I'm going to chime in here because I had a similar plan.

I graduated on 5/19 and registered that same day. I received my scheduling permit on 6/1 which was ~2 weeks. In between those two dates, I completed most of the UWorld Step 3 Qbank. I had not started CCS review, however, which appears more problematic if you haven't completed some of intern year.

I ended up scheduling it in July (I had a week of vacation then randomly) because finding a Prometric site that fit my orientation schedule was a challenge. Dates in June were few and far between particularly in popular areas. While technically it would have been possible, logistically it was a nightmare due to moving/orientation etc.

If I have graduated a bit earlier it would have been more feasible.

do you feel like you will know enough by July to comfortably pass?