Schematic eye for retinoscopy

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScramblerPpm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions on schematic eyes and whether they are worth buying?

I was thinking about getting one to practice retinoscopy on but I'm wondering how valuable of a purchase this may or may not be. I've looked around and have found many different brands, ranging from about $75 to upwards of $600.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't find a schematic eye to be of much use, but if you want one you can make it yourself. If you have access to the British Journal of Ophthalmology, search for the article from Feb. 2008 entitled "A device to aid the teaching of retinoscopy in low-resource countries". If you don't have access... message me.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any opinions on schematic eyes and whether they are worth buying?

I was thinking about getting one to practice retinoscopy on but I'm wondering how valuable of a purchase this may or may not be. I've looked around and have found many different brands, ranging from about $75 to upwards of $600.

$600 for a schematic eye? Probably one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Practice on real humans.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Totally not worth it. Unless you plan on teaching the course on retinoscopy

I thought $600 was a little ridiculous too. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll pm you matt

Buying 7 friends lunch for letting you shine a light in their eye for a few minutes is cheaper and probably a lot more realistic than a fake box.

Don't waste your money. Get with some partners in your lab group, and practice, practice, practice. The schematic eye is nothing like real eyes anyway.

The pupil in it is ridiculously large and unrealistic. Regular people pupils are what you need to get used to. Tape some lenses (+ cyl) and various spheres behind your phoropter on some friends and practice that way. Even works on emmetropic friends to help simulate refractive errors with equipment you're likely required to buy anyway.