Schizophrenia research in PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vidushaka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings.

I am currently applying to clinical psychology, PhD programs. Unfortunately I am having trouble finding faculty that I would like to have as mentors. It seems there aren't that many of them who focus on pathological severe disorders. Can anyone recommend a department where there is some faculty member that does research on schizophrenia, DID, anti-social personality or, on psychometrics research.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Vidushaka said:
Greetings.

I am currently applying to clinical psychology, PhD programs. Unfortunately I am having trouble finding faculty that I would like to have as mentors. It seems there aren't that many of them who focus on pathological disorders. Can anyone recommend a department where there is some faculty member that does research on schizophrenia, DID, anti-social personality or, on psychometrics research.
Thank you

In the area of schizophrenia, the two people who come to mind are:
Ty Cannon - UCLA
David Penn - UNC - Chapel Hill

Do some research to see who they collaborate with, and you may be able to identify some other individuals.

Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for when you specify "pathological disorders." By definition, a disorder is a pathology. Did you mean severe mental illness?

I cannot recommend anyone in particular, but a couple of strategies that I have used in locating faculty with similar research interests.

1. Do a literature search. This is really the best place to start because you can find professors that are actively doing research in areas that interest you. I have found that while some professors list several research interests on department web sites, they may not have ever published anything related to that subject. They have many recent publications in their other areas of interest though, which says to me that the subject I am interested in is a lower priority to them.

2. When checking Clinical Psychology programs make sure you check all "affiliated faculty". Sometimes professors will be affiliated with both a Clincal Psychology department and a Medical school Psychiatry department. While some take clinical grad students, some do not, but it is always worth while to contact the professor and find out if they do.

I hope that helps. This is how I have been locating faculty and have found a handful of programs to apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vidushaka said:
Greetings.

I am currently applying to clinical psychology, PhD programs. Unfortunately I am having trouble finding faculty that I would like to have as mentors. It seems there aren't that many of them who focus on pathological disorders. Can anyone recommend a department where there is some faculty member that does research on schizophrenia, DID, anti-social personality or, on psychometrics research.
Thank you

Yeah, Ty Cannon.
Sohee (?) Park, at Vanderbilt, for schizophrenia
Angus MacDonald, at Minnesota, for schizophrenia
Plenty of people at Minnesota for anti-social
Linehan in Seattle for borderline pd

i interviewed with someone at binghamton 2 years ago who's big on schizophrenia/personality disorders (i didnt get off the waitlist)

LM02 said:
In the area of schizophrenia, the two people who come to mind are:
Ty Cannon - UCLA
David Penn - UNC - Chapel Hill

Do some research to see who they collaborate with, and you may be able to identify some other individuals.

Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for when you specify "pathological disorders." By definition, a disorder is a pathology. Did you mean severe mental illness?

Thanks alot, this is helpful. Yes, I meant "severe."

dakwegmo said:
I cannot recommend anyone in particular, but a couple of strategies that I have used in locating faculty with similar research interests.

1. Do a literature search. This is really the best place to start because you can find professors that are actively doing research in areas that interest you. I have found that while some professors list several research interests on department web sites, they may not have ever published anything related to that subject. They have many recent publications in their other areas of interest though, which says to me that the subject I am interested in is a lower priority to them.

2. When checking Clinical Psychology programs make sure you check all "affiliated faculty". Sometimes professors will be affiliated with both a Clincal Psychology department and a Medical school Psychiatry department. While some take clinical grad students, some do not, but it is always worth while to contact the professor and find out if they do.

I hope that helps. This is how I have been locating faculty and have found a handful of programs to apply to.

Yes another helpful approach. Seems to require common sense! I'll try searching psychinfo for the fields i'm interested in studying. Thanks!

psy86 said:
Yeah, Ty Cannon.
Sohee (?) Park, at Vanderbilt, for schizophrenia
Angus MacDonald, at Minnesota, for schizophrenia
Plenty of people at Minnesota for anti-social
Linehan in Seattle for borderline pd

Thank you for the names. I'll look into them
Everyone has been very helpful, didn't expect to actually have my question answered.

Vidushaka said:
Thank you for the names. I'll look into them
Everyone has been very helpful, didn't expect to actually have my question answered.

For schizophrenia, you could just look through Schizophrenia Research journal, just in case you were not aware of it.

Are you on the west or east coast? I'll be doing some schizophrenia research assistanship in one of the hospital labs in NYC... so might know more about it in a few month let me know if you still looking ...

Best of luck !

Hey
I've also been looking around for faculty in US in schizophrenia research, but have found very few. UCSD is excellent. Since I cant find anything really good in the US,I'm looking at the UK coz most of teh books I read on schizophrenia were authored by UK people. Maybe u could explore that option.

dr. jason schiffman from the university of hawaii- i applied to him. Also, a friend of mine is in her first year under him and she highly recommended him to me.

soaringheights said:
I've also been looking around for faculty in US in schizophrenia research, but have found very few. UCSD is excellent.

If the OP is asking about clinical psychology research on schizophrenia and not basic science research, then:

UCSD's clinical psychology program is jointly coordinated with SDSU. It is theoretically possible to do one's PhD in said program through UCSD's MSTP, but I am not aware of anyone doing or having done so.

http://www.ucsd.edu/catalog/curric/CLIN.html

Hey
UCSD-SDSU was the first program I had checked out, as i know of a person doing it. She told me that their faculty is excellent, but I guess u need to check out for urself. UCSD-SDSU offers a Joint Doctoral Program. Last time I checked, admission was extrememly competitive n the girl I know got in as she had a yr or so of work ex in one of the UCSD-SDSU labs n published 2 papers in American Journal of Psychiatry. Although I must admit that the research that was published was no great shakes, it still got this girl as one of teh co-authors in AJP, n that is huge! She was taken on full scholarship in the JDP but apparently her other classmates are on student loans.
N another thing, her 1st publications apart, this girl has contributed other really good research work from her lab n I think they'v even complied a book of their lab research. Pretty good, huh?

Hi, I am just curious - there is that center of Schizophrenia research in India, if you do not know what I refer to - I can find the very exact name of it...
are you affilited with it in any form?

It appears there is a big advantage (from reseach perspective) of doing it out of India, because you can find sufficient samples that are not on meds.

Galia said:
Hi, I am just curious - there is that center of Schizophrenia research in India, if you do not know what I refer to - I can find the very exact name of it...
are you affilited with it in any form?

It appears there is a big advantage (from reseach perspective) of doing it out of India, because you can find sufficient samples that are not on meds.

Hi
The research centre u r referring to is the Schizophrenia Research Awareness Foundation (SCARF). They operate from Chennai(Madras), India. To work at SCARF I believe that u need to be comfortable with south Indian languages, especially Tamil. I'm based in Bomaby, and do not speak that language, so it'l be no point going there. However, I'l be doing schizophrenia research with a well-known psychiatrist here, and am hoping to get published.
As regards the unmedicated patients, whatever clinical experience I'v had so far was with patients who were on antipsychotic medication. I think what u might be referring to must be the remote villages in India where medication has not yet penetrated. I dont think it'l be possible to conduct research there coz it'l require breaking through their stigma first. I'm planning to apply for August 2007, so I don't have much time on my hands.

Hey
Is anyone aware of anyplace where I can get the rankings of Universities in US that offer Clinical Neuropsychology. N plz go to my thread of Cl. Neuropsych in US/UK, I really need help

Galia said:
For schizophrenia, you could just look through Schizophrenia Research journal, just in case you were not aware of it.

Are you on the west or east coast? I'll be doing some schizophrenia research assistanship in one of the hospital labs in NYC... so might know more about it in a few month let me know if you still looking ...

Best of luck !

deleted