Scholarship Offer from Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phatfrog55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a phone call yesterday from one of the medical schools I applied to indicating that I have been accepted and that they are offering me a full tuition scholarship for all four years. They further indicated that they will not provide me with a letter about my scholarship until I accept their offer of admission. Is this normal? Please provide any feedback you can regarding this type of situation, as I have never dealt with this type of situation. Additionally, would such a scholarship be rescinded if I did not meet certain academic requirements?

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I received a phone call yesterday from one of the medical schools I applied to indicating that I have been accepted and that they are offering me a full tuition scholarship for all four years. They further indicated that they will not provide me with a letter about my scholarship until I accept their offer of admission. Is this normal? Please provide any feedback you can regarding this type of situation, as I have never dealt with this type of situation. Additionally, would such a scholarship be rescinded if I did not meet certain academic requirements?

Thank you in advance.

They offered you a scholarship, and they want to give it to someone else if you don't accept it. The ball is in your court! It doesn't particularly matter whether this is normal or not; you have to decide whether the scholarship is worth it to you.

And yes, they might rescind the scholarship. Perhaps you should call them back up and ask what the academic requirements for the scholarship are!

Last edited:

Thank you in advance.
This sounds kind of sketch to me. But I'm sure they'd hold to their word. If I were you though, I'd email them and ask if the scholarship was guaranteed, in order to get some written proof.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you not accepted your acceptance at all yet, or are they saying they won't provide the letter until you withdraw from other schools. If the former, than that makes complete sense and the only reason I can see you hesitating is if you were about to drop the acceptance anyway. If it's the latter, yeah, it seems a little weird.