Scholarships and less debt overpower a U.S. allopathic school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reallyhopefulmed94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am researching scholarships at SGU and AUC and I qualify for alot of them. I am just wondering if I were to get the scholarships, if the less debt would be a greater reward than going to a U.S. school and being far greater in debt. I am also asking this because I am not a URM, low MCAT(20th percentile), 3.4 science, 3.52 overall, but with great EC's(have my own nonprofit for the past 6 years dedicated to helping children without parents, hospital volunteer, pediatrician volunteer, genetic research experience) so I am doubting my chances of getting into a U.S. school but maybe the Caribbean is a better choice if I can get scholarships.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing overpowers a US allopathic school. Loans are payable, you can pursue a more competitive specialty and earn more, but nothing is worse than spending 4 years for nothing if you don't match.

Going to the Caribbean is swimming in a competition with one arm tied behind your back. Sure you can finish the race, but you will be disadvantaged the entire way.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys!

I am researching scholarships at SGU and AUC and I qualify for alot of them. I am just wondering if I were to get the scholarships, if the less debt would be a greater reward than going to a U.S. school and being far greater in debt. I am also asking this because I am not a URM, low MCAT(20th percentile), 3.4 science, 3.52 overall, but with great EC's(have my own nonprofit for the past 6 years dedicated to helping children without parents, hospital volunteer, pediatrician volunteer, genetic research experience) so I am doubting my chances of getting into a U.S. school but maybe the Caribbean is a better choice if I can get scholarships.

Thanks!

No. Improve your application and apply to US schools. Don't go Caribbean, particularly for this reason.

Id rather be in a mountain in debt and be guaranteed a residency than have less debt but residency and country of practice up in the air, but that's up to you.

Reactions: 1 user