General Admissions & OTCAS Scholarships For Occupational Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aluan150

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Please post here if you know of any scholarships that are available to students to help with their OT school. Most of the ones I read about are offered to those who are already in the school and have completed 1 year. Also, they have to be AOTA members in good standing. If anybody has an idea about grants for prospective students wanting to apply , please post here. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends partly on the school. My daughter is at Tufts and when she got her financial aid award before school started , they gave her a $13,500 scholarship for the year. Also some work study and mostly loans, of course. They increased her scholarships by $1,000 for next year. I imagine it has to do with her academic progress her first year which was good. Private schools have more money to give, but not all of them do. And they cost more to begin with. She also had to borrow a Grad Plus loan to make up the difference in regular loans, scholarship, etc. Her undergrad friend who also applied and got into Tufts, was given an $18,000 scholarship. Her GPA/test scores, etc were even higher. She chose USC to be closer to home, though.

Hello Guys,

Please post here if you know of any scholarships that are available to students to help with their OT school. Most of the ones I read about are offered to those who are already in the school and have completed 1 year. Also, they have to be AOTA members in good standing. If anybody has an idea about grants for prospective students wanting to apply , please post here. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank You Yay OT- I don't think the college I got into has that provision. So from your post I still feel its once you get accepted into OT and complete an year. That is when scholarships begin. Has anyone heard of the army based ones which require OTs to serve two years as therapists after they graduate? It is called ROTC. Anybody know more about this fund?

Aluan150---true, it was after she was already accepted. However, she didn't have to complete a year before getting the scholarship. It began as soon as she started school and covers the time she's in the program. It's renewed as long as she keeps her GPA at least a B average.

Best wishes to you!

Well, it means Tuffts has a very good program and funds available at their disposal. My college does not as its fairly new so I might have to see other options.

OT specific scholarships are rare but you could get creative and find ones tailored to your demographics. I don't know details about the army ROTC but speak to a recruiter and they will be able to provide the info.
Mostly, there are ways to have your loans forgiven after you graduate. Some hospitals include loan payback as part of their offer package (in exchange for X years of work). If you spend 10 years in the public sector /non profit loans are completely forgiven. (Double check the specifics on that).