Scholl Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm probably going to buy some new technology for school. How big of a hard drive on a laptop do you think is necessary? I have a PC now with a TB hard drive, but t I'm thinking about making the switch to Mac, and 512 seems to be the biggest you can get without completely breaking the bank. I usually use my iPad in class for note-taking and such, so I'm planning on buying a new one of those too. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm probably going to buy some new technology for school. How big of a hard drive on a laptop do you think is necessary? I have a PC now with a TB hard drive, but t I'm thinking about making the switch to Mac, and 512 seems to be the biggest you can get without completely breaking the bank. I usually use my iPad in class for note-taking and such, so I'm planning on buying a new one of those too. Any suggestions?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ind...blet-suggestions-for-podiatry-school.1122513/

I was thinking the same thing you are until I read this thread.

How have you been?

Good call @AzAg. I forget sometimes that we are not completely PRE-pods anymore. I'll probably stick with my plan then. I'm just a bit concerned that a 512 gb hard drive won't be enough.

I'm doing pretty well. How about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good call @AzAg. I forget sometimes that we are not completely PRE-pods anymore. I'll probably stick with my plan then. I'm just a bit concerned that a 512 gb hard drive won't be enough.

Get an external hard drive to back up all of your class notes and lectures onto, if the need presents. Don't waste storage on music, photos, etc. 512GB should be plenty for all class notes, pdf articles, textbooks, etc.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm doing pretty well. How about you?

I'm doing good. Just working and trying to enjoy my freedom while I still have it. But I can't wait to get started.

Are you still up north?

Got accepted to Kent and really liked what I saw with the campus. The feeling I got was was very inviting both because of the small school feel and because of how new everything is. I'm looking to interview at Scholl in April. Can anyone please offer any thoughts on why they picked Scholl over the other schools, especially if they chose Scholl over Kent?

Scholl just felt right for me. I interviewed at Kent and went to their summer program. Although I really liked the school and the people that I met there, it just wasn't the right fit for me. I am originally from the Chicago area and have a lot of family there, so having that support system was important to me. I think the area around Scholl has a bit more to offer, in terms of housing/restaurants/shops and such. I also could not see a better city to learn in than Chicago. You will find every type of practice setting: Private hospitals, country hospitals, private practice, etc. The diversity of people and potential cases you would see in that city is what sold me. I felt that I "fit in" with the students at Scholl, and I really liked the interdisciplinary approach. I think it helps to bridge the gap between the health professions, and that was an experience that I really wanted.

I was really stuck between two schools, so I know what its like. Hope I helped!

Yes thank you very much!! I really appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So are they going to let us know when and how they want final transcripts, vaccinations, background checks, etc?

You should receive an email about this stuff, but it came for us during the summer. Final transcripts were just mailed to the admin office to kim young. Vaccinations and stuff will be under certified profile which you will get more info on later. i think they require proof of MMR, TB, Hep B., tetanus, and a general health physical performed by a physician.

Can anyone give me car advice?
My fiancé and I will be purchasing a new car this summer before we move from Texas. We have heard conflicting things about what we need in a car. Do we need an engine block heater and special oil, brake, radiator and transmission fluid?

These may be really stupid questions but we've both grown up in the south where we get snow days after a 1/4 inch of "snow" which is usually just sleet or ice and our winters usually consist of 10-15 days of below 40 degree temps. So I really have no idea what I'm getting myself into and I want to make sure we know whatever we actually need before it starts actually getting into winter next fall.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Awesome! Thank you both for the help!

Reactions: 1 users
my car is RWD lol! luckily my better half has a jetta so we should be good for winters!

Is there an orientation before classes start, and if so about when is it usually? I found something online that talked about a 2015 orientation at the end of May and I am hoping this is NOT it.

I emailed to ask them about this because I am trying to plan work/moving and was told that orientation will be August 12-14 and that the May Orientation that I found on the website is for the summer start students only which does not include any podiatry students.
Hope this helps!

So I'm really thinking about getting a one bedroom apartment for my first year, but the price of rent scares me! One bedrooms in the area are very expensive and don't include utilities at all. I was wondering if anyone knew if I would be able to survive with my loans if I had a one bedroom, specifically would I be able to afford it?

I have come across the same issue. It seems everything within reasonable distance is ~$1000/month for only rent. Thats pretty damn pricey. I spoke with the woodlands next to campus and it would be approximately $1200 for rent and utilities. This doesn't even include any food or gas that might be used each month.. Technically this would fit the ~$1700-$1900 budget we supposedly get but not exactly ideal for those relying on loans such as myself....

I did however find an apartment complex in the area that offers 1 bedrooms for $790-$900ish or studios for about $650! I don't really know how nice they are or what kind of neighborhood they are located in though.. The apartments are Imperialtower apartments. They don't know availability until 60 days before move in unfortunately..

Yeah I agree. I was hoping to get student housing the first year but the cost comes out to ~$1150 :( Is the $1700-1900 the max amount we get with the graduate plus loans? I talked to someone in the financial aid department regarding private student loans to supplement our financial aid to help with moving costs, supplies, and first month's rent (because the loans don't kick in until later) but I was told to apply for a personal loan instead since any private student loan would affect the amount of financial aid. However, personal loans would be higher interest and have to be paid sooner versus a student loans which can be deferred until graduation :/ Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated :)

If you choose a one bedroom on the contract is that what you get?

Was there recently an email sent out regarding the student housing lottery?

Any males interested in leasing in a 2 bedroom apartment at the Woodlands?

According to their management, all singles have been leased and only a few 2 bedroom apartments remain. These are in a great location and I feel that their proximity will be especially valuable in our first year at Scholl.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested, and I look forward to meeting you all in August!

Hey everyone!
My application was verified yesterday. I was just wondering, what are my chances for Scholl based on all of you that have been accepted to start in August?
As of this week admissions told me they have selected about 2/3 of the class thus far.

I have a 3.6 GPA, 3.4 science GPA, 25 MCAT. I have a lot of time dedicated to volunteering, shadowing, university involvement, and research. I am currently shadowing a podiatrist and working towards getting a LOR in soon from him - I have about 6 other LOR that are being sent in right now.

Thanks guys!

Hey everyone!
My application was verified yesterday. I was just wondering, what are my chances for Scholl based on all of you that have been accepted to start in August?
As of this week admissions told me they have selected about 2/3 of the class thus far.

I have a 3.6 GPA, 3.4 science GPA, 25 MCAT. I have a lot of time dedicated to volunteering, shadowing, university involvement, and research. I am currently shadowing a podiatrist and working towards getting a LOR in soon from him - I have about 6 other LOR that are being sent in right now.

Thanks guys!
Your stats are above average - you're good there. I would be concerned that Scholl has told you they are only 2/3 full for their incoming class. I find that very hard to believe at this point in the year. You would have no difficulty getting into any school with your stats were you to apply this coming August, but you may find that schools are pretty full at this point.

Just for a point of reference - I was told there were ~10 spots left during my interview earlier this month. Best of luck, and great stats.

did anyone else sign up for student housing and know if we need to sign up for the 10 month or 12 month contract? I believe we have courses in the summer? Meaning we need housing till August of next year? If anyone knows that would be great thanks!

I think new students can only sign the 10 month contract.

Has anyone that interviewed on April 29th heard back from Scholl with any decisions? I'm just anxious!

Congratulations to those of you that were accepted! I have an interview next week, any advice?

Has anyone that interviewed on April 29th heard back from Scholl with any decisions? I'm just anxious!
Did they give you a time estimate. Last year in my cycle they said 10 days and they got back to me within this time. If its past the time they said they would let you know shoot kim an email. Fingers crossed for you

Congratulations to those of you that were accepted! I have an interview next week, any advice?

My interview was very laid back, conversational. Its only 30 minutes so make sure to sell yourself well during this time. If you have any blemishes on your app make sure you can explain. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anybody considering living in the city?

I will be. I would prefer to be close to school but my (future) wife will probably be working in the city. She has her final interview on Friday morning. So we will be heading to Chicago on Thursday for her interview and to look at apartments.
We will most likely be living in the Evanston area. From what I can tell it'll be about an hour train ride each way for me. I just plan to use that time to study.

Is the class full?

There were 2 seats left early may but that was assuming the round of acceptances that went out at that time all said yes, which will most likely not be the case. This year the class filled much faster than when i applied.

Living in the city is possible, I also live off campus, but i will tell you i hate the commute so much especially when we have 8 am exams for most classes, late nights in anatomy lab, and the couple mandatory classes that start the tail end of first year. It's not bad at first, but for me I got tired of the commute real fast. If you dont have any circumstances in your life making you live in the city, weight out your options and choose which works best for you.

Living is not cheap, but you can make it work by being budget concious like the students in years past. Every year they send out surveys to gauge cost of living and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Living in the city is possible, I also live off campus, but i will tell you i hate the commute so much especially when we have 8 am exams for most classes, late nights in anatomy lab, and the couple mandatory classes that start the tail end of first year. It's not bad at first, but for me I got tired of the commute real fast. If you dont have any circumstances in your life making you live in the city, weight out your options and choose which works best for you.

Where did you commute from? Did you live off campus because of a S/O was working further from school?

Where did you commute from? Did you live off campus because of a S/O was working further from school?

I commute from libertyville. My commute is even shorter than from the city, about 20 mins via car, i chose off campus because my rent was substantially cheaper, however on numerous occasions throughout the year i just wanted to pony up the money and live near campus so i could sleep and not have to worry about a morning commute. The other limitations traveling via metra is the shuttle that runs on campus ends at a specific time. Most days this will not be an issue. But I know people who live in the city and drive up in cases where they have to stay past shuttle hours or they even crash at their friends houses on campus.

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid/ loan amounts since the application came out? I feel like I should be doing something but I don't know what.

Has anyone heard anything about buying supplies/instruments? Do they usually send out a list of things that we are required to have?

This will be given to you when you go over the syllabus in class. But be sure to join the Scholl Facebook page, lots of good info posted there, and it will be used often during the school year. Off the top of my head you will need supplies for ECR (stethoscope, tuning fork, Snell eye exam, ) scrubs for anatomy, dissection kit, disposable gloves. But as I said all this will be discussed once classes start.