School A vs School B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emraldragon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been very fortunate to receive two acceptances this application season--WMed and TCMC. I also had two surprise super late (March) interviews that I am assuming are going to result in waitlists or rejections--Temple and Penn State.

While I liked both schools, I felt more strongly about WMed even though I am IS for PA. The only thing holding me back from withdrawing my acceptance is the fact that WMed hasn't graduated a class yet. They haven't even had a class take the Step 1 yet.

So I thought I would throw the question to the SDN gods:
Is it risky to choose a brand new medical school when you hold an acceptance from a more established school?

I don't have the financial aid packages for either yet, so that is not a determining factor; and I don't envision myself staying in either area of the country for residency, but if I had to pick only from those two I would choose the mid-Atlantic states area where I am from.

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno if I would say that it's "risky," but it's certainly true that residency programs will be unfamiliar with a new school and the quality of its graduates because there obviously haven't been any. Whether that's enough for you to affect your decision making is something you need to decide.

Reactions: 1 users
You still have time to mull this over. The other two schools will be getting back to you shortly as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turns out I got pulled off the waitlist at Penn State. I was quite shocked.

Reactions: 4 users
Hahah, good question. Acceptance sure beats a poke in the eye so it can't be that last one. I guess it has to be the third one. It wasn't written to be a Die Hard movie so it was completely unexpected, like an acceptance after interviewing in the last (or second to last) week of interviews. It was a very nice surprise.

Reactions: 1 user
Hahah, good question. Acceptance sure beats a poke in the eye so it can't be that last one. I guess it has to be the third one. It wasn't written to be a Die Hard movie so it was completely unexpected, like an acceptance after interviewing in the last (or second to last) week of interviews. It was a very nice surprise.
So does Simon say Penn State?! :laugh:

So does Simon say Penn State?! :laugh:

I say Penn State. It is closer to my parents who are older and not in the best of health and I like the people and research opportunities at Penn State. I loved both schools though, and the decision was not easy.

Reactions: 1 user