School choices: 3.93 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA, 30R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toanl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-My cGPA = 3.93, sGPA roughly 3.97 (my guess)
-MCAT: 12P-8V-10B (my English is kind of bad, lucky to have 8 on it)
-Resident: NY
-Volunteering: 200 hrs on a physical rehab clinic
-Physician shadowing: weak
1. family medicine: 14 hrs
2. pediatric endocrinology: 4 hours
3. going to invest next two months on a pediatrician (any suggestion? or is it better to shadow more than one)
-Research: 2.5 years on stem cells research (more mathematical modeling), writing thesis now, maybe will publish a journal article
-Tutors: 2 semesters on physic, math and chemistry
-Additional: I'm a chemical engineer (non traditional route) :laugh:
-Gap year: plan to work in clinic or hospital, and get more shadowing experience, improve English in general

I have three questions
1) should I consider a DO instead of MD? Currently I am thinking about applying to MD schools, but my MCAT is weak.
2) I have problem with my school list. I am a NY resident. Previously, I was thinking just apply to all the schools in the NY State. However Columbia, Mt. Sinai, Cornell, NYU and UR seem unreachable for me. Are they still worth applying?
3) If not, I need to add some OOS schools. Any suggestion on OOS schools I should apply?

Here is my list of schools, feel free to suggest any other one or remove any one, I greatly appreciate your time (I am more focus on the East coast now, but willing to live other big cities)
NY
1. Albany
2. Albert Einstein
3. Hofstra
4.. NYMC
5. NYU (reach)
6. Downstate
7. Upstate
8. Stony Brook
9. Buffalo
10. Rochester (reach)
11. Cornell (probably not applying)

VA
1. Commonwealth
2. EV
3. WV

PA
1. Drexel
2. Jefferson
3. Penn state
4. Commonwealth
5. Temple

NJ (I read online that it is possible to switch to NJ resident before applying, NJ and RWJ accept most IS students)
1. Cooper
2.NJ
3.RWJ

Other
1. Rush
2. George Washington

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. A 30 is still a good score for MD and if that's what you want I would not consider DO
2. If they are your dream schools and you have some extra cash that you don't min possibly throwing away go for it, but your chance at an interview are very slim
3. I would look at state schools nearby or on the east coast if that's where you want t o say (I have never lived anywhere but the midwest so I am not sure what these would be)