School ****ed me over

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarolarrow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate this. I'm a freshman and I'm in my first semester. First of all I wasn't placed in biology. Second when I finally got into chemistry I just had a little issue with something. So I saw the teacher and she and another teacher are basically telling me to drop the course and take it next year. As a stupid freshman I'm listening to the teacher and now my whole plan is ****ed over. Since the gen chem 1 is a yearly thing I'm just done I don't know what to do I hate this school so much . I feel like if I had stayed I would have pushed through I was already talking to a tutor I hate everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How? I don't even know what to do anymore. Obviously I have **** advisers and teachers I know I'll have to take a community college course maybe but damn this sucks

How? I don't even know what to do anymore. Obviously I have **** advisers and teachers I know I'll have to take a community college course maybe but damn this sucks
The average age of the incoming class is around 25-27. It's not the end of the world if you aren't applying in your senior year.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you tried to switch it off and then on?

Reactions: 13 users
You're good man just enjoy yourself while you can. Start doing some volunteering or something with your spare time since it doesn't sound like you have any science classes. Next time make sure you are communicating with your advisors ahead of time.

Believe me I know how it feels to not get into a class that you wanted but you will figure out that any class you take will be valuable because you will learn cool stuff. Just make sure you know your plan from here on out and try to stick to it but be flexible if things don't go exactly as planned and you'll be just fine.

You're a freshman who has to take a class slightly later than they wanted.

Chill TFO. Go have a beer or whatever passes for beer among college freshmen these days. You're not forked, your future is not ruined, and hopefully you'll gain a little bit of perspective over the next year and realize that this problem that seems enormous and insurmountable now will literally be a tiny bump in the road later on.

Use this time to do things you couldn't do with an intense courseload. Make straight As, find a research lab, do a little bit of volunteering, have some fun.

Reactions: 7 users
Either OP is trolling or has some serious anxiety/panic issues/anger issues that OP needs to get counseling for.

Reactions: 6 users
I didn't get into bio or chem freshman yr. then I decided to double major and took 6 years to graduate. Then I wasn't able to take MCAT until my last year and had to take a gap year. Then I got a job in a lab. Then I decided to do a PhD. Then I had to take MCAT again. Then I got into med school 15 years after I started undergrad.

Currently I am very happy with how my life has played out.

You should take a deep breath or two if you're not trolling.

Reactions: 13 users
I already did not like it's helping
This is a much larger problem than exactly which courses you'll take when. If you are experiencing mental or emotional health problems, you need to get those sorted out first.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Calm down.
2. Take those classes next year.
3. Calm down.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, there's always the Caribbean...

Reactions: 3 users
OP....please understand my concern when I say "simmer the **** down"....

You future is not ruined, your life isn't over, you will be okay. You're not in pre-med to meet some agenda or follow in everyone else's footsteps exactly. There is no ONE PATH to medicine, everyone has their own. If your's includes being a year or semester behind in bio or gen chem 1, then take it in stride and realize it's not a big deal. Realize that is YOUR path, the cards YOU were dealt.

One of the biggest, most detrimental and anxiety-inducing problems pre-meds have is CONSTANTLY comparing themselves to others, and even worse, their peers. Who gives a rat's a$$. Taking longer during undergrad or not being in a certain class does not make or break someone's future.

Yours truly,
a fellow pre-med who took gen-chem 1 and 2 off-cycle and who's 2 interviews deep

P.S.: You will be fine.

Reactions: 2 users
And let's be real. No one has a great (or even good) advisor...they don't make or break your future either.

lol to the Rons and yes most pre-med advisers are a joke

From Columbia University FAQ's
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/biology/ug/advice/faqs/gs.html

Why do I have to take chemistry before biology?

A3: There is a big difference between most college science courses and most high school science courses. In high school, you are usually expected to memorize the basic facts and principles. In college, you are expected to learn the facts in much more detail and you are also expected to understand the principles in much greater depth (this is usually the hard part). This means (in practical terms) that on exams you are asked to apply the principles that you have learned to solve problems and to explain totally new situations. This is just as true of biology as it is of physics and chemistry -- college biology is an experimental science, not a descriptive science. If you jump straight into Biology C2005/F2401 without a year of college chemistry to help you "rev up" you are likely to find the biology overwhelming.

It also pays to take chemistry first for another reason. Most students who take biology need to take chemistry (eventually). If you are going to take chemistry anyway, you might as well take it first so that the molecular parts of bio will make more sense. Biologists use chemistry as language, the way physicists use math. You can explain physics without math, but it takes a lot longer and the explanations are not as satisfying, or you have to teach the math as you go along. So it is simpler to just do the math first and the physics after. Similarly, it makes more sense to do the chemistry first and the biology second.

You also said that in chemistry you had a problem with something. Can you elaborate that? Perhaps lacking a strong foundation before starting general chemistry?

A3: There is a big difference between most college science courses and most high school science courses. In high school, you are usually expected to memorize the basic facts and principles. In college, you are expected to learn the facts in much more detail and you are also expected to understand the principles in much greater depth (this is usually the hard part). This means (in practical terms) that on exams you are asked to apply the principles that you have learned to solve problems and to explain totally new situations. This is just as true of biology as it is of physics and chemistry -- college biology is an experimental science, not a descriptive science. If you jump straight into Biology C2005/F2401 without a year of college chemistry to help you "rev up" you are likely to find the biology overwhelming.

It also pays to take chemistry first for another reason. Most students who take biology need to take chemistry (eventually). If you are going to take chemistry anyway, you might as well take it first so that the molecular parts of bio will make more sense. Biologists use chemistry as language, the way physicists use math. You can explain physics without math, but it takes a lot longer and the explanations are not as satisfying, or you have to teach the math as you go along. So it is simpler to just do the math first and the physics after. Similarly, it makes more sense to do the chemistry first and the biology second.

You also said that in chemistry you had a problem with something. Can you elaborate that? Perhaps lacking a strong foundation before starting general chemistry?

I understand the premise behind what you're suggesting here, but practical experience has shown me that understanding general chemistry isn't going to be extremely conducive to facilitating a similar understanding of biology. Biochemistry and parts of organic chemistry would be very helpful, but not general chemistry. As it stands, most students have taken at least some biology by the time they take organic chemistry, so this wouldn't likely be that useful (and is a reason that biochemistry is often the last course taken in the sequence of biology/chemistry prereqs as it combines both and shows how they interact).

I do completely agree, however, that understanding that science is experimental rather than descriptive is very helpful, as general chemistry definitely helps to cultivate the right mindset for that.

I hate this. I'm a freshman and I'm in my first semester. First of all I wasn't placed in biology. Second when I finally got into chemistry I just had a little issue with something. So I saw the teacher and she and another teacher are basically telling me to drop the course and take it next year. As a stupid freshman I'm listening to the teacher and now my whole plan is ****ed over. Since the gen chem 1 is a yearly thing I'm just done I don't know what to do I hate this school so much . I feel like if I had stayed I would have pushed through I was already talking to a tutor I hate everyone.
hey it's ok. First, if I had known or been more motivated, even staying on track with chemistry during academic year, I would have definitely opted to take those chem classes at a better nearby uni during summer. Just make sure your school accepts those credits if you are like a science major. There are people at my uni that are in your circumstance and this is what they do. Then, you can have fun your sophomore year if you get rid of the hard classes during summer.

No... Just NO.

You are whining like some little bitch (I hope that gets sensored).

YOU are an ADULT. YOU make YOUR OWN decisions.

You weren't placed in biology:
1. did you register in time?
2. Biology I is hardly a class people can't get in - why did you not get in?
3. Go to CC

YOU DROPPED chemistry:
1. "A little issue" - ok... like that's not your fault. What did you do? Fail the first exam? Didn't go to class? Schedule conflict?
2. Your professor told you to drop - so you probably did poorly on the exam. That's YOUR fault.
3. You don't have to listen to your advisers or professors. I didn't because I know myself better than they know me.

Take your whining elsewhere. If you are ready to grow up and be an adult - then we can talk and help you - otherwise, go wise up or something.

I really wish OP would make it to the application stage. His PS would be the stuff of legends... But alas I don't see him getting to that point for some reason...:help:

Nope we haven't even started an exam. As a freshman I was told to always follow the teachers and she's one of the heads for the pre med committee. So I listened nah the class just started then.

Nah I registered early and was in the front row and I'm 17 I don't know how you were when you were 17 but if you didn't do stupid **** based on stupid advice I'm jealous but thanks anyway :)

No... Just NO.

You are whining like some little bitch (I hope that gets sensored).

YOU are an ADULT. YOU make YOUR OWN decisions.

You weren't placed in biology:
1. did you register in time?
2. Biology I is hardly a class people can't get in - why did you not get in?
3. Go to CC

YOU DROPPED chemistry:
1. "A little issue" - ok... like that's not your fault. What did you do? Fail the first exam? Didn't go to class? Schedule conflict?
2. Your professor told you to drop - so you probably did poorly on the exam. That's YOUR fault.
3. You don't have to listen to your advisers or professors. I didn't because I know myself better than they know me.

Take your whining elsewhere. If you are ready to grow up and be an adult - then we can talk and help you - otherwise, go wise up or something.

Last edited:
Her but it's fine I needed a place to vent and I know now student doctors isn't a good place for that but thanks. I'll make it to the application stage no worries this is just a minor setback but I got this.
I really wish OP would make it to the application stage. His PS would be the stuff of legends... But alas I don't see him getting to that point for some reason...:help:

Yay! An actual helpful person. Thank you very much! Now I'm studying chemistry by myself because I still have the book and I will be taking a winter session at my local uni/community college. I'll be talking to the registrar's office there and by my school. Then I'll take chem 2 second semester and will be on track. Although our school only lets us take bio second semester. It's a weird thing that we don't have an actual set bio 1 and bio 2. But it's a biology class I'm all cool and collected now and have a plan. I'll achieve my goals the way I want it and won't listen to anyone anymore. You're a nice person realizing that I'm actually a freshman and I don't know much. I'm also a first generation bless you!
hey it's ok. First, if I had known or been more motivated, even staying on track with chemistry during academic year, I would have definitely opted to take those chem classes at a better nearby uni during summer. Just make sure your school accepts those credits if you are like a science major. There are people at my uni that are in your circumstance and this is what they do. Then, you can have fun your sophomore year if you get rid of the hard classes during summer.

I was a junior before I even took Gen Chem 1... So... What's the problem, Chief?

I understand the premise behind what you're suggesting here, but practical experience has shown me that understanding general chemistry isn't going to be extremely conducive to facilitating a similar understanding of biology. Biochemistry and parts of organic chemistry would be very helpful, but not general chemistry. As it stands, most students have taken at least some biology by the time they take organic chemistry, so this wouldn't likely be that useful (and is a reason that biochemistry is often the last course taken in the sequence of biology/chemistry prereqs as it combines both and shows how they interact).

I do completely agree, however, that understanding that science is experimental rather than descriptive is very helpful, as general chemistry definitely helps to cultivate the right mindset for that.

To be fair, Biology C2005/F2401 at Columbia, specifically, is a crazy difficult class that destroys pre-med dreams. Most people would have an absolute meltdown taking in their first year of college. At other schools, it seems like taking bio concurrently with gen chem is no big deal and is probably the normal path.

I know you are going through tough times, but I am confident you will make it! :)

Well for me it's probably because it's the usual thing to do so I felt like a failure. But I'll get through this. Found out we are in a consortium so I'll just take the course spring semester and continue over the summer. Just to get a better handling on the material and then I'll be done anyway! If it's ok to ask. Can you please tell me the courses you've taken through the years. Also if you're going to apply before or after senior year?
I was a junior before I even took Gen Chem 1... So... What's the problem, Chief?

Nope we haven't even started an exam. As a freshman I was told to always follow the teachers and she's one of the heads for the pre med committee. So I listened nah the class just started then.

Nah I registered early and was in the front row and I'm 17 I don't know how you were when you were 17 but if you didn't do stupid **** based on stupid advice I'm jealous but thanks anyway :)

I'm glad you calmed down a bit. I'm glad that was just a rant rather than how you actually deal with problems.

If you are in college - you are going to be considered as an adult - that's just life.

I probably did some stupid things when I was 17 (well maybe not - I didn't make many mistakes during high school or early college) - but you still made the decision to listen to ****ty advise and you just gotta tough it out.

Seems like you have re-orientated yourself and realize life isn't going to end - I'm sure things will work out.

Yay! An actual helpful person. Thank you very much! Now I'm studying chemistry by myself because I still have the book and I will be taking a winter session at my local uni/community college. I'll be talking to the registrar's office there and by my school. Then I'll take chem 2 second semester and will be on track. Although our school only lets us take bio second semester. It's a weird thing that we don't have an actual set bio 1 and bio 2. But it's a biology class I'm all cool and collected now and have a plan. I'll achieve my goals the way I want it and won't listen to anyone anymore. You're a nice person realizing that I'm actually a freshman and I don't know much. I'm also a first generation bless you!
Heh, no problem, ppl tend to forget perspective and hindsight is only 20.20

To be fair, Biology C2005/F2401 at Columbia, specifically, is a crazy difficult class that destroys pre-med dreams. Most people would have an absolute meltdown taking in their first year of college. At other schools, it seems like taking bio concurrently with gen chem is no big deal and is probably the normal path.

I also went to an Ivy League undergrad so I understand this. Many people took an intro biology class equivalent their first year and many people did get destroyed. Many people also took general chemistry concurrently and did get destroyed. In my experience, general chemistry destroyed more people than biology, but neither was an easy class.

I also went to an Ivy League undergrad so I understand this. Many people took an intro biology class equivalent their first year and many people did get destroyed. Many people also took general chemistry concurrently and did get destroyed. In my experience, general chemistry destroyed more people than biology, but neither was an easy class.

No, I mean that Columbia FAQ theriomorphos is not meant as general advice for premeds at any school. It is specifically about one specific class with one specific professor that all premeds at Columbia have to take. There were fliers on the bulletin boards of all the science buildings that said things like "Did Mowshowitz bio cause you to drop out of the premed track? We are doing a study about this course, blah, blah, blah..." and the premed committee were asking people who actually survived the class to come back and lead study group sessions to get other people through it. It's over the top.

Can you remedy this over the summer? The two potential options I see are either taking a summer class for credit and paying for it, or self studying over the internet with one of the many free open online courses available (which are actual college courses that have been video taped so anyone can just follow along). If you self study with a tutor, then I could see you just starting out in Chem II at the beginning of next year like this never happened.

OP, some of the folks here have already taught you lesson 1 of being a pre-medical student: there will be people who don't want you to be a doctor, period. Do not waste your time trying to understand their motives for doing so. This is your dream, and even though there may be people who have dreams like it, this one is yours.

Now, to address your problem. Consider it a blessing: my advisers placed me in General Biology I, General Chemistry I, and Calculus I in my first semester. I was also registered for ~3 classes (9 units) worth of general education requirements. I ended up failing Chemistry and dropping Calculus. It was an academic disaster.

I know that websites like this one seem to imply that sprinting toward graduation is the best way to make it to medical school, but realize that at the end of the day, schools don't ask you how long it took you to complete your program, they ask you for your GPA. Focus primarily on LEARNING, and secondarily on making that number the best you can. If you do it in just the right way, you can do both at once. ;)

Good luck.

Yeah I'm good. In the end I stand by what I did since I didn't know much and so I listened. But, I made friends with some upperclassmen in the same situation as I was and they already have their med school interviews. I can honestly complete everything without taking a summer course and still graduate in time so now I'm calm and good. Based on my midterm grades I'll start out with all A's first semester and start the pre med track second semester in the end I'm all good now.
I'm glad you calmed down a bit. I'm glad that was just a rant rather than how you actually deal with problems.

If you are in college - you are going to be considered as an adult - that's just life.

I probably did some stupid things when I was 17 (well maybe not - I didn't make many mistakes during high school or early college) - but you still made the decision to listen to ****ty advise and you just gotta tough it out.

Seems like you have re-orientated yourself and realize life isn't going to end - I'm sure things will work out.

After talking to some upperclassmen students that got into med school and some who already have interviews some of them were already in the same situation I am and showed me the track they took. I finally got in touch with the good advisor that everyone talks to and loves and they connected me to them and I was also connected to an alumni who's a doctor at Yale who went the same track I did. I can do this all on time without taking a summer course. But I'm probably going to audit a chemistry prep course so everything will be more at ease. Thanks for the help and suggestion!
Can you remedy this over the summer? The two potential options I see are either taking a summer class for credit and paying for it, or self studying over the internet with one of the many free open online courses available (which are actual college courses that have been video taped so anyone can just follow along). If you self study with a tutor, then I could see you just starting out in Chem II at the beginning of next year like this never happened.