School List - 34 / 3.71c / 3.77s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irish Luck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to finalize my school list and have included my stats below.

I am trying to stick to schools within an hour to an hour and a half of the ocean. My long-term boyfriend is an avid surfer and will be moving with me, so being within a drive's distance is a compromise.

I currently have 14 schools listed and am trying to figure out if I need to add more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

STATS

cGPA:
sGPA: 3.8
MCAT: 34 balanced

ECs:
Removed for anonymity

School List:

Einstein
Mount Sinai
SUNY Stonybrook
SUNY Downstate
Hofstra
Columbia
NYU
Cornell
New York Medical College
Boston University
Tufts University
University of Colorado (not near the water but I'm sneaking this one on the list)
University of Southern California - Keck
University of California - San Diego

Contemplating adding:

- Eastern Virginia
- Quinnipiac
- Johns Hopkins
- Rutgers - Newark
- Brown

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Very strong application.

Don't add Rutgers if you are OOS. Hopkins may be too much of a reach with a 3.7 because that is their 10%ile GPA, and your MCAT is below the median. Brown favors their own undergrad.

I guess SUNY Upstate and Buffalo are not surfer friendly?

Suggestions: UMiami, Jefferson, Drexel, Temple.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the suggestions.

I haven't added any upstate schools because I wouldn't go there. I went upstate for undergrad and found that it's just too far removed from everything at this point in my life.

Do you guys think applying to the CA schools is a total throw away, or there is some chance? I know how competitive the schools are for OOS but not sure if my ec's could keep me in the running.

Updated School List:
Einstein
Mount Sinai
SUNY Stonybrook
SUNY Downstate
Hofstra
Columbia
NYU
Cornell
New York Medical College
Boston University
Tufts University
University of Miami
University of Colorado (not near the water but I'm sneaking this one on the list)

Contemplating adding:

- Eastern Virginia
- Quinnipiac

I didn't realize how close philly was to the coast - i am going to look into the schools there later today. thanks for pointing it out

The University of Central Florida is probably an hour from the beach too. They are a newer school but seem to be well regarded.

Do you guys think applying to the CA schools is a total throw away, or there is some chance? I know how competitive the schools are for OOS but not sure if my ec's could keep me in the running.

Updated School List:
Einstein
Mount Sinai
SUNY Stonybrook
SUNY Downstate
Hofstra
Columbia
NYU
Cornell
New York Medical College
Boston University
Tufts University
University of Miami

Contemplating adding:

- Eastern Virginia
- Quinnipiac
With a well written application, you have a shot at either of them.

If your boyfriend could take up windsurfing, then a lot more schools some into play. I submit that his hobby should take a back seat to your medical school aspirations.

Anyway, Goro suggests:
Einstein
Mount Sinai
SUNY Stonybrook
SUNY Downstate
Hofstra
Columbia
NYU
Cornell
New York Medical College
Boston University
Tufts University
University of Colorado
University of California - San Diego (if gyngyn says this is crackable, then definitely go for it!)
UCI (maybe)
- Eastern Virginia
VCU
U VA
- Quinnipiac
U Miami
The new FL schools
Tulane
All the Philly schools except Penn
Cooper/NJ