School list additions! New MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JB50

I'm really in I swear
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ksjdhfksdjf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Including DO schools is definitely a good idea. The fact that some schools average MCAT scores combined with a 3.4 sgpa, aiming for low tier MD schools and state schools would be the best course of action.

You only have 5 hours of shadowing and 40 hours of non-clinical volunteering? Before you apply to MD schools find out which ones average MCAT scores. Your sGPA is well below average so use the MSAR and find schools with 10 percent scores where your scores are at or near. You need to get on this right away since it is getting really late. Are you from the PNW? I think some of those schools aren't too friendly to OOS students. So check that out before you waste any money. Are you URM by any chance?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I received a 3.05 sGPA my freshmen year, the next three years are 3.5-3.6 unfortunately. I am not an URM, not from PNW, I'm a Midwest applicant.

Why is 5 hours of shadowing throwing a red flag? I work in a hospital around doctors who I speak with on a regular basis.

Some schools expect shadowing in addition to clinical work. Do you follow the docs you talk to all day long? Do you really know how they spend their days? Since aren't from the PNW check out their feelings on OOS students.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If you're not from MI, scratch MSU. If you are, add all other MI schools.

I can't recommend LUCOM. Rinse and replace.

Hey guys,

So I need some more help on my school list for adding some late schools. Here is my current list. I am specifically asking about allopathic schools at this point as I feel good about my osteopathic schools. I might add some in the pacific northwest but idk yet.

Stats: 503 MCAT 1st attempt (128,124,125,126), 512 MCAT 2nd attempt (130,126,128,128)
3.42 sGPA (AMCAS), 3.79 cGPA, 3.64 total GPA. GPA for aacomas is slightly different.
1000+ hours of patient contact experience
5 hours of shadowing an ENT DO.
40 hours of volunteering (non-medical)
0 hours of research

DO Programs:
VCOM
WVSOM
PCOM
CCOM
MSUCOM
UNECOM
DMUCOM
RVUCOM
MUCOM
LECOM
LUCOM

Allopathic programs:
MSU CHM

I would like to get the new school's primaries out ASAP. What are your recommendations? Help me out!

a

Last edited:

Thanks as always Goro

I knew this comment was coming the second I read LUCOM on that list.

lskd

Last edited:
Interesting... Unless I'm completely incapable of observing and combining what I observe with the dialogue I've had, yes I have a very good idea of what a physician does and what their work like is like. But maybe im ******ed:whistle:

No need to be rude. You asked the question and then you said "maybe im ******ed". Really? Nice attitude.

Reactions: 1 users
sdf

Last edited:
dfg

Last edited:
OP you do know that @gonnif has vast experience in med school admissions right? You seem to be replying like you think he doesn't know what he is talking about. He knows lots and he knows what he's talking about and has helped many people successfully navigate these waters. The reason I'm telling you this is because you need to learn to take suggestions with grace and humility. You never know who you are talking to. Good luck this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh I saw him. Good he's gone. My point was you really never do know who you are talking to and when you put yourself out there asking for advice just accept it. How it is used is on the person asking.

The reason we ask you to shadow is that you need to know what a doctor's day is like, and how different doctors approach the practice of Medicine. Your patient contact employment clearly demonstrates that you know what you're getting into, and that you want to be around sick people, but it's different from shadowing.

I would hope that my PS/most meaningfuls/secondaries would make it quite clear why I chose what I did and that I understand the profession. If they didn't, then that is my fault.

sdfg

Last edited:
sdfg

Last edited: