MD & DO School list and chances 3.9 (90%-100%) mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperSlim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gpa: 3.9+ (small state school, not ranked or anything) (non-urm) worried that schools will look down upon this uni cause its not a typical premed feeder, nor is it a top university. i don't think this uni is as competitive as other big name universities.
Mcat:
physics- 85% - 100%
CARS-76% - 91%
BIO-85% - 100%
ps/soc- 81% - 96%

total: 90%-100%

300 hours Emt volunteer
100 hours hospital volunteer
40 hours shadowing Ed D.O+ D.O letter
150 or so hours bench work and presented a poster. no publications and god I hated it.
300 (in process) hours research/ observing internship at one of my states major hospitals. (A lot of shadowing and doing research(data mining) on trauma victims). I'm currently doing this and don't know if I'll publish. Can easily get a letter from my PI, trauma surgeon.
among other things....

I live in CT

Parents helping me pay for application, dont mind maxing out on 25 apps or so

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With an overall percentile of 90%+, you don't need DO schools, unless you truly want them. Expand your MD list to around ~20 schools, your application is good. You have good activities!

Remove: Wayne state (high in state bias)

Consider adding: Albany, NYMC, Temple, Jefferson, Einstein, Tufts, BU, Penn State, Vermont, Miami, EVMS, VCU

Add more reaches if your MCAT comes out to be >95%ile.

With an overall percentile of 90%+, you don't need DO schools, unless you truly want them. Expand your MD list to around ~20 schools, your application is good. You have good activities!

Remove: Wayne state (high in state bias)

Consider adding: Albany, NYMC, Temple, Jefferson, Einstein, Tufts, BU, Penn State, Vermont, Miami, EVMS, VCU

Add more reaches if your MCAT comes out to be >95%ile.

This is so tough this whole time I thought I was going to only apply to DO schools.

Anymore suggestions will most def help!! Should I invest in msar?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so tough this whole time I thought I was going to only apply to DO schools.

Anymore suggestions will most def help!! Should I invest in msar?

Definitely. Look for private schools where your numbers are close to the medians, and your state schools obviously. You can't know exact numbers until you get your final score back, but do your best to make lists for both scenarios (90%ile or 97%ile+).

Also have you submitted your AMCAS for verification? Get on that ASAP - remember you can submit to be verified with 1 school, then add more later.

With a well balanced list of ~15-20 schools you should be fine for MD.

Definitely. Look for private schools where your numbers are close to the medians, and your state schools obviously. You can't know exact numbers until you get your final score back, but do your best to make lists for both scenarios (90%ile or 97%ile+).

Also have you submitted your AMCAS for verification? Get on that ASAP - remember you can submit to be verified with 1 school, then add more later.

With a well balanced list of ~15-20 schools you should be fine for MD.

Almost sent for verification just need to edit couple of things, transcripts were received and processed tho. this is more stressful than the mcat.

Which state schools other than the ones u have listed are OOS friendly, the fact that I can change tuition after a certain point is enticing.

Congratulations, I'm in the same boat with new MCAT, got 86-96%
Great feeling.

Definitely go on MSAR and look at schools with a 33+ average. Welcome to the pool!

Reactions: 1 user
Almost sent for verification just need to edit couple of things, transcripts were received and processed tho. this is more stressful than the mcat.

Which state schools other than the ones u have listed are OOS friendly, the fact that I can change tuition after a certain point is enticing.

It really depends. If your MCAT comes out high then state schools may find you more enticing (you ideally want to be higher than their medians). I know SUNY Downstate and Stony Brook take a good amount of OOS and give the option of changing tuition after 1 year. I would still focus my efforts on privates though, and your own state schools.

For the MSAR make sure to pay attention to the accepted students tab to see the breakdown of OOS vs. IS.

It really depends. If your MCAT comes out high then state schools may find you more enticing (you ideally want to be higher than their medians). I know SUNY Downstate and Stony Brook take a good amount of OOS and give the option of changing tuition after 1 year. I would still focus my efforts on privates though, and your own state schools.

For the MSAR make sure to pay attention to the accepted students tab to see the breakdown of OOS vs. IS.

You have been most helpful. Off the bat what are some low tier medical schools that you know of?

You have been most helpful. Off the bat what are some low tier medical schools that you know of?

I gave you some suggestions in the previous list. "Low tiers" are generally those with lower median stats (VCU, EVMS, Albany, NYMC, Quinnipiac etc.), but they are still quality programs obviously.

Last edited:
Some schools won't care at all. Some schools probably will. You'll never actually know whether it was because of your school or anything else or just because the other people applying are amazing. I went through the same thing last year. Small state school. And spending one second doubting yourself or your chances won't help. Congrats on what seems to be a very good and well-rounded application!

Thank you so much. Its just a little disheartening when u see pre-meds from very top tier schools and your like :sorry:. I guess that's why we have the MCAT.

update list 7/7/15
MD

Penn State
temple
nymc
albany
jefferson
vermont
evms
vcu
TCMC
UCONN
Quinn
YALE
Toledo
Tulane
Rosalind Franklin University
Rush Medical College
Wake-Forest
Mercer ----?
Medical school of Wisconsin

DO

UNE
LECOM ( I don't know if I should apply to all 3)
DMU
CCOM
NYIT

busy with internship so I don't have that much time to look at MSAR, not too happy about my MD choices a lot of them are in the middle of cities ( want more southern schools). looking for the cheapest option. someone, anyone.....

Last edited:
Lol forget Mercer bro, they don't take out of state and they have a very specific mission (primary care/underserved areas)

Yale is your only reach and I think you could afford to add a couple more (Emory, U Penn, etc.). You have a list full of safeties with your stats.

I don't think you need to apply DO at all, unless you have a preference for that route or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Mercer.

This is a good list if your MCAT comes out closer to 90%. If it comes out 95%+, then you can replace some of these schools with reaches.

Ugh the problem is that everyone and their moms are applying to the same list of schools. Are there no hidden gems?
For the DO programs I had the intention of applying mostly DO until I got my scores back, also almost done with DO app . I Have a DO letter. However, iam leaning towards general surgery or ED.
Im still pessimistic tho.

Ugh the problem is that everyone and their moms are applying to the same list of schools. Are there no hidden gems?
For the DO programs I had the intention of applying mostly DO until I got my scores back, also almost done with DO app . I Have a DO letter. However, iam leaning towards general surgery or ED.
Im still pessimistic tho.

Calm down and do your research on MSAR well. All these schools get thousands of apps. That's why you gotta apply to 15+ so you can get some interviews and hopefully an acceptance (or multiple!).

The hidden gems are your in state schools.

Calm down and do your research on MSAR well. All these schools get thousands of apps. That's why you gotta apply to 15+ so you can get some interviews and hopefully an acceptance (or multiple!).

The hidden gems are your in state schools.
Exactly, you'd be surprised that schools like Miami, Gorgetown, and Drexel get over 10k apps, like twice as much as a lot of other schools. But you also have to look at the class sizes, they range anywhere from like 50-250 students per year. Play the numbers game man

Best $25 you'll ever spend on your career path. Target schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Pay careful attention to the Acceptance Information page.

Should I invest in msar?

Gonna use this thread like a Md applicants page

SO annoying MSAR doesn't have how many applicants a school accepts..

Is there a chance I could get a substantial scholarship at DO programs?

Penn State
temple
nymc
albany
jefferson
vermont
evms
vcu
TCMC
UCONN- my best shot
Quinn
YALE
Toledo
Creighton
Buffalo ? ( interview 1 in 10, but only 7% matriculate from interview, do many ppl just decline acceptance?)
Cooper ( lowerish mcat, Not bad OOS, best friend lives in area, don't know about this one)
Uwash
USF
GW
MCW

DO:
UNE
LECOM
KCOM
PCOM
DMU
CCOM

Last edited:
Remove Uwash, they are heavily region biased.

Gonna use this thread like a Md applicants page

SO annoying MSAR doesn't have how many applicants a school accepts..

Is there a chance I could get a substantial scholarship at DO programs?

Penn State
temple
nymc
albany
jefferson
vermont
evms
vcu
TCMC
UCONN- my best shot
Quinn
YALE
Toledo
Creighton
Buffalo ? ( interview 1 in 10, but only 7% matriculate from interview, do many ppl just decline acceptance?)
Cooper ( lowerish mcat, Not bad OOS, best friend lives in area, don't know about this one)
UniV
Uwash
USF
GW
MCW

DO:
UNE
LECOM
KCOM
PCOM
DMU
CCOM

I wouldn't bother with Buffalo, Cooper, Wash or GW. You're going to apply to Yale regardless of what anyone says so if that's your one reach for the stars app go for it.

The rest of that list is fine. You're EC's are kind of on the light side but you can include a couple reach types such as Emory, USC, Case Western, Rochester, Einstein and perhaps Mayo or a top 20 school or two.

I wouldn't bother with Buffalo, Cooper, Wash or GW. You're going to apply to Yale regardless of what anyone says so if that's your one reach for the stars app go for it.

The rest of that list is fine. You're EC's are kind of on the light side but you can include a couple reach types such as Emory, USC, Case Western, Rochester, Einstein and perhaps Mayo or a top 20 school or two.

Cookie cutter ECs i know, leave USF?

What are my chances for Duke? 3.92 cGPA 4.0 sGPA and 90-100% on MCAT

What are my chances for Duke? 3.92 cGPA 4.0 sGPA and 90-100% on MCAT

Chances at any one top school are never going to be good regardless of who you are.

But your odds are heavily tied upon where in the 90th-100th percentile you get on the MCAT. You said you "hated" your bench research experience----realize Duke is a research powerhouse where a strong research background is something they in particular look for(I think it was gyngyn who said pubs is something they really show value towards). Does that even sound like a school that would be a good fit for you.

Chances at any one top school are never going to be good regardless of who you are.

But your odds are heavily tied upon where in the 90th-100th percentile you get on the MCAT. You said you "hated" your bench research experience----realize Duke is a research powerhouse where a strong research background is something they in particular look for(I think it was gyngyn who said pubs is something they really show value towards). Does that even sound like a school that would be a good fit for you.

Lol wasn't me that wanted to go to DUKE someone decided to hijack my thread, and yeah I understand research is important, I might still continue it in the fall. I know Yale is a crap shoot but I just had to apply lol. UConn is my number one. But I sill want a decent list. I don't have a problem applying to 20 schools. I also will apply to DO programs no matter what, I have seen too many people with above 30s get jaded by the application cycle even tho their scores were up there due to not applying broadly enough.

Should I keep USF?

Lol wasn't me that wanted to go to DUKE someone decided to hijack my thread, and yeah I understand research is important, I might still continue it in the fall. I know Yale is a crap shoot but I just had to apply lol. UConn is my number one. But I sill want a decent list. I don't have a problem applying to 20 schools. I also will apply to DO programs no matter what, I have seen too many people with above 30s get jaded by the application cycle even tho their scores were up there due to not applying broadly enough.

Should I keep USF?
USF requires 5 letters of recommendation, I only have 4 so I had to take them off my list. Keep them for sure if you do have 5 letters and you speak some spanish and like sub-tropical weather lol

USF requires 5 letters of recommendation, I only have 4 so I had to take them off my list. Keep them for sure if you do have 5 letters and you speak some spanish and like sub-tropical weather lol

I though committee letters were the norm I have 3 letters.. including a committee letter.. thanks so much! these are the comments I need!

edit: What a shame I just checked. very out of state friendly too

Should I keep USF?

Haha the hijak strikes again. USF is fine I think your stats make you competitive. Your list is for the most part fine, I gave you my suggestions you should be good to go.

wait a sec

What about a Committee letter packet?
Some schools will offer a Committee Evaluation letter or a Letter Packet to compile your individual letters. See Option 1 below for more information on this process. However, some schools will not offer Committee letter packets, and in that case the applicant is expected to seek out 5 separate recommendations (at least two letters must be from a faculty member). The applicant will have these 5 separate letters sent to AMCAS from the recommenders. For additional information on how to submit letters to AMCAS, please visit www.aamc.org/amcasletters.
Options to fulfill the Letters of Recommendation Requirement
Option 1: If your school has a Letter Packet that includes the letters
  • Submit the pre-professional Letter Packet from your undergraduate institution directly to AMCAS
    • No further Letters of Recommendation are needed
Option 2: If your school has a Committee Evaluation Letter
  • Submit the pre-professional Committee Evaluation Letter from your undergraduate institution directly to AMCAS
    • This will only fulfill the Faculty portion of our Letters of Recommendation requirement.
  • Submit additional faculty/character letters.
Option 3: If you submit individual letters
  • Submit two (2) Faculty letters of recommendation (see criteria above)
  • Submit additional Faculty/Character letters (see criteria above)

Committee letter fills the requirement, no matter how many letters are included in it. This is the case for 95% of med schools.

wait a sec

What about a Committee letter packet?
Some schools will offer a Committee Evaluation letter or a Letter Packet to compile your individual letters. See Option 1 below for more information on this process. However, some schools will not offer Committee letter packets, and in that case the applicant is expected to seek out 5 separate recommendations (at least two letters must be from a faculty member). The applicant will have these 5 separate letters sent to AMCAS from the recommenders. For additional information on how to submit letters to AMCAS, please visit www.aamc.org/amcasletters.
Options to fulfill the Letters of Recommendation Requirement
Option 1: If your school has a Letter Packet that includes the letters
  • Submit the pre-professional Letter Packet from your undergraduate institution directly to AMCAS
    • No further Letters of Recommendation are needed
Option 2: If your school has a Committee Evaluation Letter
  • Submit the pre-professional Committee Evaluation Letter from your undergraduate institution directly to AMCAS
    • This will only fulfill the Faculty portion of our Letters of Recommendation requirement.
  • Submit additional faculty/character letters.
Option 3: If you submit individual letters
  • Submit two (2) Faculty letters of recommendation (see criteria above)
  • Submit additional Faculty/Character letters (see criteria above)
If you have 3 letters, including a committee letter, you should be fine IMO. My problem is that I don't have a committee at my school (even though it is a large state university; it baffles me) and I can't track down any non-science professors to write me a letter.

If you have 3 letters, including a committee letter, you should be fine IMO. My problem is that I don't have a committee at my school (even though it is a large state university; it baffles me) and I can't track down any non-science professors to write me a letter.

no I think it only fulfills the faculty letters, so 2. I still need 1 more letter.

no I think it only fulfills the faculty letters, so 2. I still need 1 more letter.
Ok first of all, I think their letter requirements are a little too much, and too confusing.

But anyways, I think you're good actually. My understanding is that the "faculty" requirement is 2 science, 1 non-science professor, which totals to three. While the other two are "personal/character" letters from people who did not teach you in a course (mentors,MD's, DO's, PI's). So I think as long as your other two are of this type, you're good. Of course I could just be totally wrong but you could just give them a call to know for sure.

Ok first of all, I think their letter requirements are a little too much, and too confusing.

But anyways, I think you're good actually. My understanding is that the "faculty" requirement is 2 science, 1 non-science professor, which totals to three. While the other two are "personal/character" letters from people who did not teach you in a course (mentors,MD's, DO's, PI's). So I think as long as your other two are of this type, you're good. Of course I could just be totally wrong but you could just give them a call to know for sure.

I totally agree it's ridiculous. I will call and update

starting to worry a little bit. did some searching on this forum and found some applicants with 30+ that are re-applicants. I still didn't submit as im waiting for a friend to send me back edits for my personal statement. Will send by Saturday the latest. I don't get my official scores until 7/21 this is probably why im not in much of a hurry. How long do apps take to get verified. My transcripts have already been received and processed.

Also for my mcat, where do you guys think my score will fall? I was thinking 515 but not sure.

Last edited:
It's looking like it is taking ~3 weeks for them to verify apps, apparently they are pretty slow this year. With that list, Im sure you can get several II's. I still believe it wouldn't hurt to substitute an Oakland or a DO school for an Emory or a Loyola. You're being pretty conservative. You should at least keep Brown and Yale for sure. I don't think brown is even really a reach for you.

As far as your score goes, I believe you're looking at a 513-519 (519 if you were to get perfect scores on the bio/bc and chem/phys sections). Looks like you got a 127 on CARS, 128 on Psyc/soc and 129+ on the other sections. I've been following the MCAT threads and thats how the percentile ranges consistently seem to be lining up with official scores. I would treat that as a 34.

How much are you guys paying for this WTH. For all the MD schools in my most recent list im paying around 800 for primaries, then secondries are 75 each. this will total 3k including primary app.

June scores come out 7/21, will update.
APP submitted tonight 7/13/15

schools applied:
Albany Medical College
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Emory University School of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Quinnipiac University SOM
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine
Rush Medical College
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Temple University School of Medicine
The Commonwealth Medical College
The University of Miami School of Medicine
The University of Toledo College of Medicine
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
total= 900$

DO Schools
UNECOM
NYIT
PCOM
LECOM
VCOM-Virginia ( submitted only to vcom, waiting until verified to submit other schools)

Last edited:
Just for a frame of reference I submitted on June 18, and got verified on July 13. So at best you will be verified mid-august but here's hoping for sooner!

Having second thoughts about brown, starting to think my chances are slithering away with a late app. Plus the 100 dollar fine is killer. I don't think I'll submit secondary for this school idk. Did some searching on Dartmouth literally falling in love with their programs. Found out they like non trads tho.

Waiting to be verified, casually prewriting secondaries, done with netter and uconn ( haven't received) received Dartmouth even tho not verified..... Done with that one as well and prob couple others. Praying to be verified.

Like post above i applied to lecom. Will probably add more DO schools like kcom.

Forget brown, it is low yield. Dartmouth is still possible, they may like non-trads but its not like they take only them. A lot of schools are >50% non-trad now - it may just speak more toward a shifting demographic that applies to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Forget brown, it is low yield. Dartmouth is still possible, they may like non-trads but its not like they take only them. A lot of schools are >50% non-trad now - it may just speak more toward a shifting demographic that applies to medical school.

wish I knew this earlier haha yeah I figured, very picky + late app= med school donation. I like dartmouth's global health program. family comes from tough circumstances overseas would love nothing more to give back. they selective too but whatever.

Got scores today,
Physics/Chen -129
Biochem- 131
Verbal- 127
Psychology- 128

Total: 515 (93rd percentile)

Was hoping for a little higher but thank god lol.
The percentile equates to a 34 on the old scale.
Still not verified.

Any changes ?

Should I add Baylor?
is the school research heavy, or clinical friendly?

Baylor is pretty research heavy, but that doesn't mean its not "clinical friendly". Add it as a reach if you want.

I'd also look into Einstein and Rochester.

You're gonna get a lot of interview invites anyways, add who you want to. I would go for Yale since you're in CT, why not

UAB MD/PHD sent me an email today describing their program.... they didn't really direct it at me nor were they specific. My name was not used. Does everyone get an email like this?
I m not verified yet, can schools still see my MCAT? even schools that I haven't paid the primary for?

UAB MD/PHD sent me an email today describing their program.... they didn't really direct it at me nor were they specific. My name was not used. Does everyone get an email like this?
I m not verified yet, can schools still see my MCAT? even schools that I haven't paid the primary for?

Yeah AAMC can send out your info.

Got scores today,
Physics/Chen -129
Biochem- 131
Verbal- 127
Psychology- 128

Total: 515 (93rd percentile)

Was hoping for a little higher but thank god lol.
The percentile equates to a 34 on the old scale.
Still not verified.

Any changes ?

3.9/34 is looking rather strong. I would usually say keep 6-8 lower tiers as safeties and that you can use as covering your bases. You have more than enough. On your list you applied to the only ones that I'm not sure I would have gone ahead with are Wright State, Brown, Dartmouth and Toledo, but it's a non issue.

Now you can sprinkle in the middle tiers. Rochester, Boston U, USC, Emory, Case Western, Hofstra, Einstein are all in play.

While your MCAT is 3 points below the median of many top 20 schools and there will be others in top 20 applicant pools with more extensive research experience than yours, it still isn't a bad idea to take a stab at some. NYU, Mt Sinai, Northwestern, Pitt amongst others could make solid choices.