School List and Chances Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChelseaFC4eva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I am a junior applying to medical schools this summer. I was just hoping for some input on my school list and what my chances are. My stats are:

cGPA: 3.48 [very low i know... :( this is what is really scaring me atm] upward trend for the most part
MCAT: 31
EC's:
*2 Exec board positions
*Volunteering at hospital for the past year and a half
*Research position at the medical school. Publication in the works [past year over two hundred hours]

School List:
1. Morehouse School of Medicine 3.45/27 [GA]
2. Loyola Stritch 3.6/30
3. Rush 3.64/31
4. UIC 3.5/30
5. Rosalind Franklin 3.45/29
6. SIU 3.55/29
7. Louisville 3.6/29 [KY]
8. Wayne State 3.6/29 [MI] ??????
9. Oakland University William Beaumont Medical School 3.65/31 [MI]
10. New York Medical College 3.6/31 [NY]
11. Buffalo Medical School 3.6/29 [NY]
12. Hofstra University North Shore–LIJ SOM [NY]
13. Northeastern Ohio 3.6/28 [OH]
14. Drexel 3.58/30 [PA]
15. University of South Carolina Medical School 3.6/28 [SC]
16. Meharry Medical College 3.4/25 [TN]
17. Eastern Virginia Medical School of Medicine 3.44/31 [VA]
18. Virginia Commonwealth School of Medicine 3.6/29 [VA]
19. Marshall Edwards School of Medicine 3.5/28

This isn't a final list but this is probably what I will be leaning towards as the time goes on. I know that for me applying as early as possible and making sure my application is near perfect will be my two keys but I'm really worried and any sort of advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think your list looks good! Just be sure to apply early!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your list looks good! Just be sure to apply early!
sorry for the extra reply but I just wanted to know if I should be panicking right now or if I'm over reacting when I say I probably don't have a shot this cycle

Just fyi,

Morehouse and Meharry are historically black institutions

South Carolina and Marshall are heavily in-state biased

Northeast Ohio I think has most of it's student come from it's BS/MD program

Maybe add Temple, Jefferson, Albany, Tufts?

Just fyi,

Morehouse and Meharry are historically black institutions

South Carolina and Marshall are heavily in-state biased

Northeast Ohio I think has most of it's student come from it's BS/MD program

Alright.. I was hoping to cut down towards 15 schools and I guess these cuts will get me there. Thanks for the info!

Where are you getting these stats from? The Msar lists slightly higher stats for some of these schools. Are you using data from individual school websites?

Where are you getting these stats from? The Msar lists slightly higher stats for each o these schools. Are you using data from individual school websites?

Stats are from both the spreadsheet posted from an earlier year on SDN as well as the official school website

Have you thought about taking a gap year to have your senior grades count? You can add more extracurriculars and increase your GPA, and then you might be competitive for even more schools!

Maybe you should take a gap year to have your senior grades count. You can add more extracurriculars and increase your GPA, and then you might be competitive for even more schools!

I agree. At this point I will probably end up taking the gap year and doing a SMP program...I would still like to apply though. any thoughts?

Where are you getting these stats from? The Msar lists slightly higher stats for some of these schools. Are you using data from individual school websites?

MSAR is accepted data. Which tends to be higher because they might accept people with higher stats who go elsewhere.

I am just a premed like yourself, but I'll tell you what advice I got about my chances:

I think that doing an SMP implies that you need to take two years off after graduation, and apply the summer after your SMP ends.

My GPA is a little lower than yours, but I really don't want to spend the money on an SMP (super expensive), and I think my time would be better spent strengthening other aspects of my application. My grades are still the weak part of my application, so I am going to take several classes at my local college over the summer after graduation and the follow year to get my sGPA around a 3.4-3.5. Since I won't be in a SMP, I'm concurrently working as a ER scribe and doing volunteer work, which will also help my application. The strong part of my application is my MCAT (35), and my research experience. This is just my plan of action to help me get into med school, but maybe it might help you too!

I am just a premed like yourself, but I'll tell you what advice I got about my chances:

I think that doing an SMP implies that you need to take two years off after graduation, and apply the summer after your SMP ends.

My GPA is a little lower than yours, but I really don't want to spend the money on an SMP (super expensive), and I think my time would be better spent strengthening other aspects of my application. My grades are still the weak part of my application, so I am going to take several classes at my local college over the summer after graduation and the follow year to get my sGPA around a 3.4-3.5. Since I won't be in a SMP, I'm concurrently working as a ER scribe and doing volunteer work, which will also help my application. The strong part of my application is my MCAT (35), and my research experience. This is just my plan of action to help me get into med school, but maybe it might help you too!

Thank you so much! I know Rosalind Franklin has a one year SMP which would be nice but as you said it is also very expensive. Scribe work is something I've thought of but haven't really looked into. I will definitely look into it now though since it seems to be a good alternative. Best of luck!~