School list and chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreSomething124

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
j

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats you have done well.

It seems like from what I seen with friends and judging based on what LizzyM and goro say that you are looking very good for DO and not as good for MD. MD looks to be a reach but you only need one and you might get it. I would recommend you apply to touro-ny instead of WVCOM since you are form new york but thats your call to make.

Thanks for your reply DoctorSynthesis. Do you think there is anything else I could do to look better for MD?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply DoctorSynthesis. Do you think there is anything else I could do to look better for MD?
I personally think you'e absolutely fine for MD. State schools with those stats will take you any day. I think DoctorSynthesis might be trying to discourage people from applying MD because he wants the spots for himself. All these sdn'ers go around shooting people down to make them seem so perfect.

I personally think you'e absolutely fine for MD. State schools with those stats will take you any day. I think DoctorSynthesis might be trying to discourage people from applying MD because he wants the spots for himself. All these sdn'ers go around shooting people down to make them seem so perfect.
Dr. Synthesis is probably one of those guys going around SDN saying "What are my chances: 42 mcat, 3.93 gpa, 3.97 sgpa"

Dr. Synthesis is probably one of those guys going around SDN saying "What are my chances: 42 mcat, 3.93 gpa, 3.97 sgpa"

First of all +1 for your name. GO yankees!

Second of all no i'm not like that but I was just trying to be realistic. He has done well but I based my opinion off of several factors.

First of all he is an ORM which could make it a bit more difficult. Second of all he has a nothing special MCAT especially for an ORM. Third of all he is from NY where state schools are very competitive. I don't think there is much of a shot for any of the suny schools. Maybe Buffalo? Decent shot at some of these schools like NYMC/University of Vermont/Drexel. Cornell/upenn/uchicago/NYU/ stony brook there doesn't seem like much of a chance.

I had a friend who applied with slightly better numbers to 30 md schools and got one very low tier MD acceptance and 1 waitlist and was also a ORM. So i'm trying to be realistic. I expect one maybe two MD acceptances but not many.

His GPA and ECs are excellent I think if he can bump that MCAT up 3 points he would be set. But at this moment I think it's borderline.

way too many reach schools. just axe them unless you love throwing money at them i.e all nyc schools, upenn

Reactions: 1 user
way too many reach schools. just axe them unless you love throwing money at them i.e all nyc schools, upenn

I agree, you're probably just wasting money with Penn, Pritzker, Cornell, and NYU. I'd cut them and add a couple more lower/mid-tier MD schools instead.

Note: I removed NYU...don't know why I left it in. Mea culpa, OP.

SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stony Brook
NYMC
Albany Medical
Albert Einstein
Jefferson
Drexel
University of Vermont
Penn State
Temple
Hofstra
TCMC
All other new MD schools
Loyola
Rush
Wake Forest
MCW
SLU
VCU
EVMS

DO
TUCOM-NY
PhilidephiaCOM
Kirksville COM
New York COM
WVCOM
Any other DO program, except TCOM, UNE and MSUCOM, which have regional biases.

Last edited:
Goro still has to many reaches on that list. I really wouldn't waste the money

Einstein, Wake Forest, Loyola, and I think some of his chances at the OOS public schools are shaky at best.
The bolded are reasonable reaches

The only OOS publics on the list ( EVMS and VCU) take about 50% of their class from OOS and OP's stats are well within their ranges.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's important to not sell yourself short. I like Goro's list. Also, my last intention is to offend anyone, but lol. You are certainly within range for SUNY schools, especially Upstate. I went to college in "The City That Never Sleeps" and many of my native, ORM New Yorker friends with "average" stats matriculated at various SUNY schools. It's at the very least worth a shot. Now, if you weren't a NY resident the story would be different...Best of luck! And remember, apply plentifully, apply broadly, apply judiciously. :luck: