School List cGPA 3.48

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t0bes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I won't be taking the MCAT until August 5th, but I'm hoping to finalize my school list anyhow. I know that my application is not that strong so I'm trying to maximize my chances of admission to allopathic programs by including all the lower-tier schools.

Here are my stats:
cGPA 3.48 with an upward trend in an English major with a minor in physiology, sGPA 3.36
96 hours of volunteering at a local children's hospital
Two weeks of volunteering on an organic farm
One day of physician shadowing (I should get more)
Two week Voluntourism trip to Lima, Peru
40 hours of volunteering at the YMCA daycare
Jobs at a café and at the school library
Theatre and film productions (acting and directing)

My list is HUGE at the moment so can people help me cut it down and potentially add some schools that I'm missing? Here is the list:

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Drexel University College of Medicine
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
New York University
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Quinnipiac University SOM
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Rush Medical College
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
State University of New York Downstate Medical Cen
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Temple University School of Medicine
The Commonwealth Medical College
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Oh I also have summer research experience with a radiation oncologist but no publication

Members don't see this ad :)

edit: my own ignorance out of the post :laugh:

Last edited:
Your application will be complete pretty late with an August test date. Your ECs are weak, your GPAS are well below average for MD school and we have no idea what your MCAT will be. Maybe you need to hold off a year so you have the best possible application possible. You really only want to apply once.
Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 1 users
definitely advise against applying this summer. you're already at a big enough disadvantage with your below-average GPA, you really want to be submitting first day

Just to be clear, I'm applying for Fall 2016

Apply to one to become verified. As soon as your MCAT comes out, add the rest, assuming it is high enough to help out the lower GPA. Certainly do AACOMAS as well.

Reactions: 1 user
wait @vainbrother did you think I was applying for Fall 2015? that would be impossible I think... maybe I should in fact consider not applying this summer. I'm an American citizen (born in NY) but I live in Montreal since my family moved here when I was young

It's not worth trying to make a school list without an MCAT score. Do what the above recommends and apply to a single school just to get your app verified. Then apply in a more targeted way once you have an MCAT.

As mentioned, your ECs are weak and your GPA is low. Unless you do really well on the MCAT I'd suggest you wait until next year, assuming you get a lot of EC work in and maybe take a couple of classes to improve your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
An August MCAT means you will be complete in September. That is pretty late for Fall 2016 matriculation. I would recommend waiting to apply next summer but you do what you gotta do.

I'm in the same boat with an August MCAT and similar numbers. I feel like applying to allopathic schools would be throwing money down the drain. I'm focusing on DO and recommend you do the same if you really want to start in 2016. Having your application complete that late means you'll likely be interviewing for wait-list spots anyway.

definitely advise against applying this summer.

Just to be clear, I'm applying for Fall 2016

wait @vainbrother did you think I was applying for Fall 2015? that would be impossible I think... maybe I should in fact consider not applying this summer.

For some reason I feel you don't understand the timeline of the application cycle? Applications can start to be submitted on June 2 (the closer you apply to this day the better, because spots start to feel out).
For people applying on June 2, 2015 you don't start medical school until fall 2016.

Sorry if the vibes I got from you were wrong.

wait @vainbrother did you think I was applying for Fall 2015? that would be impossible I think... maybe I should in fact consider not applying this summer. I'm an American citizen (born in NY) but I live in Montreal since my family moved here when I was young
no i mean you should be looking to matriculate in fall of 2017, i.e. applying next summer

My stats are pretty identical to yours with a 30 MCAT. I received 3 MD interviews and am sitting on 3 waitlists, without much movement expected. If MD is your goal, I would recommend some post-bacc classes to boost your GPA. I am just now coming to the realization that my GPA won't cut it if I want MD. Wish I would have started a post-bacc a few years ago, am just getting around to it. Of course, if you kill the MCAT you might get different results. My 2 cents.

@Jesse Ya I was momentarily under the impression that i didn't understand the timeline of the application cycle but turns out I had it right originally. Thanks so much for the input everyone, it's made me confront the reality of my prospects.

Another question: this cycle I'm considering applying to some SMP programs for admission Fall 2016. My REAPPLICATION to medical school will be submitted in June 2016 and in the year that follows I will hypothetically be attending an SMP. Does attending the SMP in the year AFTER i submit my AMCAS exert any effect at all on my application? Obviously it won't effect my GPA.. anyway i just want to be absolutely sure that an SMP is the right choice for me before throwing $50,000 of borrowed money at a school. I will also likely be able to raise my undergraduate GPA to a ~3.51 this coming year because I still have one more semester of undergraduate studies, if that changes anything.

No research beyond 1 summer? No MCAT yet? Applying what will likely be rather late? And if you use the fact that average matriculant GPA is 3.69 with a standard deviation of .25 your GPA is probably in the 17th percentile of matriculants. With all due respect unless you are a URM you're in all likelihood wasting your time and money applying this year. DO is a different story although I would still recommend waiting a year given how late we are and how you probably haven't started studying for your MCAT amongst many other things.

As for the list(which you shouldn't be worrying about in all honesty) there are also a bunch of schools that should not be on there; no non-URM with a 3.48 should be applying to NYU or Pitt amongst others on your list baring a truly exceptional MCAT score and even then its still likely futile.

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html
The link above has the charts that are your best friends for figuring out your realistic chances at an MD school. Bare in mind the percents are probably a little inflated because many kids who get in with lower GPAs have a) a post bacc which I'm not sure if factored into those GPA calculations and if they were there GPA value would be higher b) took time off and did something really exceptional that stands out with their time. There are many other confounding variables that probably mean those percentiles are a little inflated also.

But anyway, your GPA is low. People get in with 3.48's(I'll be applying with a similar GPA in time) but you need something to make up for a well below average GPA. A well above average MCAT(34+ equivalent on the new MCAT) is probably the single most important thing to do to boost your MD chances. Getting very good clinical experience(not shadowing actually working----something like an intraoperative neurophys assistant to name a completely random example off the top of my head would be very good clinical experience but again that's a completely random and likely unrealistic expectation) and making a long term commitment to research of say at least 12 months and netting a publication or two, are also the types of things that can put you over the top with a poor GPA. If you can take 2 years off and accomplish some of this and apply in 2 years, you can then realistically start talking about being competitive for MD schools. It ain't easy, I'm in a similar spot, but that's the standard. Good luck mate.

It would be more helpful to know your home state.
I suggest

Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
Rush Medical College
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine[/QUOTE]

It would be more helpful to know your home state.
I suggest

Albany Medical College
New York Medical College
Rush Medical College
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
[/QUOTE]

The above is probably the best list you'll find from anybody on here.

My stats are pretty identical to yours with a 30 MCAT. I received 3 MD interviews and am sitting on 3 waitlists, without much movement expected. If MD is your goal, I would recommend some post-bacc classes to boost your GPA. I am just now coming to the realization that my GPA won't cut it if I want MD. Wish I would have started a post-bacc a few years ago, am just getting around to it. Of course, if you kill the MCAT you might get different results. My 2 cents.
Did you apply early?

Hey guys just a little update, there was an error in the computation of my math mark (ironic) and my cGPA is now 3.50. doesn't make THAT much of a difference (at all) but certainly looks better on paper. I just needed somewhere to rant my happiness :p

Apologies in advance for hijacking this thread. My sGPA is the same as this person's (3.48), with a MCAT in the 90-100 percentile range. I'm also applying to new schools and the schools on this list.

My question is -- why aren't the historically black colleges listed on here? Is it a good idea to apply to these schools even if you are not African-American, but have a demonstrated interest in serving this community?

Apologies in advance for hijacking this thread. My sGPA is the same as this person's (3.48), with a MCAT in the 90-100 percentile range. I'm also applying to new schools and the schools on this list.

My question is -- why aren't the historically black colleges listed on here? Is it a good idea to apply to these schools even if you are not African-American, but have a demonstrated interest in serving this community?
They are looking for a lifetime of service.

Oh, I don't know, maybe the 15 Asians, 7 whites, and 7 non-URM Latinos at Howard (class of 117, so 25% of the class) or the 7/8/4 in Morehouse (24%)?
Haha, well I'm aiming to apply to these schools despite not being a civil rights leader at the age of 9. I've worked in an inner-city DC health clinic for the past 3 years and live in this area, too.

Haha, well I'm aiming to apply to these schools despite not being a civil rights leader at the age of 9. I've worked in an inner-city DC health clinic for the past 3 years and live in this area, too.
The HBCU's have centuries of experience at sniffing this out.
If you have it, they will be able to detect it.
Let us know what they decide!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahahaha OMGGG :banana::rofl:

Got my MCAT! 521 or 99th percentile

That's one phenomenal MCAT score.

Your priorities for the next year
1) Get clinical exposure. Keep volunteering in the hospital. Consider volunteering in a hospice as well. Maybe get a job as a nursing assistant. Just boost this part of your app.
2) If you haven't graduated yet work on acing this year. Your GPA MCAT combo now can suffice for getting into medical school. But if 9 months from now you come back with a 3.6/3.5 and 38 equivalent with an upward trend that will help your case a good bit.
3) Keep volunteering: Aim to add as many more hours as possible by June 1st. The goal is to really demonstrate a level of altruism.
4) Research experience: If you are looking to apply to schools which are full of 99th percentile MCAT scorers like you ,research is a de-facto requirement. Don't just think wet lab research here. Clinical research, anything involving independent hypothesis data testing works well and honestly stuff like clinical goes a lot faster than basic.

Tentatively a list of lower tiers and medium tiers is what you should focus on. If you can really get some solid research experience these next 9 months it might be worth throwing in a top 20 app or two and seeing what happens. Pay attention to the 90th percentile MCAT statistics of lower tier schools. I'd be a bit cautious before sending too many apps to those schools with 90th percentile MCATs in the 34-35 range(and there aren't that many of them). But I do think you can certainly net II's(even at some medium tier schools like USC, Hofstra etc) with a solid list and if you can work on solidifying your application the next year or so.

Listen, apply next summer on June 1st, and you'll get in somewhere. Don't listen to anyone who tries to bring you down. Your MCAT score is phenomenal. In the meantime, do some research.

Any use applying this cycle? I've filled out and submitted secondaries for many low-tier schools. Any use expanding and including a couple reach schools? (I.e. TUFTS, SUNY Downstate)

I mean for this cycle, entering 2016. Again, for clarity: cGPA is 3.50 with an upward trend. Research and volunteer experiences. 521 MCAT.

I mean for this cycle, entering 2016. Again, for clarity: cGPA is 3.50 with an upward trend. Research and volunteer experiences. 521 MCAT.

Have you submitted your primary yet

Also how big of an upward trend. There's a difference between 1 good semester and 2 solid years of 3.75+ work; I've seen both listed as "upward" trends by people posting these WAMC's multple times before so it's worth clarifying.

Basically one good semester, unfortunately. This past year I had a 3.80 followed by a 3.50 in each semester, respectively. I submitted my primary in mid-August and I was confirmed on August 31st.

Basically one good semester, unfortunately. This past year I had a 3.80 followed by a 3.50 in each semester, respectively. I submitted my primary in mid-August and I was confirmed on August 31st.

Wouldn't call that an upward trend. A 521 is a phenomenal score that is better than more than half of Harvard's matriculants could do but you really would help yourself out waiting a cycle.

You run into this situation if you apply: you have limited EC's and limited clinical exposure and scattered volunteer involvement. You might find somewhere that bites on the 521 this cycle but it's also possible with an MCAT that high you get screened out at some lower tiers. As for the medium and upper tiers, they are far more likely to pass on you given your limited EC's(and no research) and your GPA that will be below 10th percentile almost all those schools. Now, if you wait a year strengthen your EC's and if you are still in school(or if you can do a DIY post-bac) enhance your GPA now all of a sudden you have EC's that are fairly well rounded, say a 3.6/3.5 and that 521 still in play. THAT's the kind of application that can get alot of II's; maybe even at a top 20 school or two if you can build up that research. It's your call what you want to do; like I said you might get someone to bite this cycle. But I can almost guarantee if you sit out this cycle and apply next year with a well rounded app and perhaps a bigger upward trend, your cycle will yield alot more II's.

Wouldn't call that an upward trend. A 521 is a phenomenal score that is better than more than half of Harvard's matriculants could do but you really would help yourself out waiting a cycle.

You run into this situation if you apply: you have limited EC's and limited clinical exposure and scattered volunteer involvement. You might find somewhere that bites on the 521 this cycle but it's also possible with an MCAT that high you get screened out at some lower tiers. As for the medium and upper tiers, they are far more likely to pass on you given your limited EC's(and no research) and your GPA that will be below 10th percentile almost all those schools. Now, if you wait a year strengthen your EC's and if you are still in school(or if you can do a DIY post-bac) enhance your GPA now all of a sudden you have EC's that are fairly well rounded, say a 3.6/3.5 and that 521 still in play. THAT's the kind of application that can get alot of II's; maybe even at a top 20 school or two if you can build up that research. It's your call what you want to do; like I said you might get someone to bite this cycle. But I can almost guarantee if you sit out this cycle and apply next year with a well rounded app and perhaps a bigger upward trend, your cycle will yield alot more II's.

Thank you very much for the cogent advice.

If you wait a year (well, 9 months at this point) and build your ECs you will almost certainly get a boatload of IIs.

But you only need one acceptance. I'd go for it.

Ya, I think it's worth it too. A II is an interview, correct?