School list for 2nd time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dedicated1989

officially gonna be a doctor!!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based off of MSAR a complied a list of 30 schools that I think I have a shot at - this is based off of GPA and MCAT scores alone. I put a "?" next to schools where my chances may not be as high given certain situations (financial, social, public vs private, etc). I would love to get some feedback on those schools if anyone has some to share.I am also not opposed to applying to more schools.

Basic stats:
-Went to state school with a full scholarship
-graduated with a 3.59 GPA (science and overall).
- got an MS from Mount Sinai in NY with published Masters Thesis work; graduated in 2013 with a 3.5 GPA
- 2 publications ...1 first author
- Several shadowing and volunteering experiences
- ER scribe with ScribeAmerica
- Highest and most recent MCAT score of 29 (VR: 8 PS: 9 and BS:12)
- strong LORs from MDs, DOs and PhDs

Possible schools in no particular order:
Drexel University
Frank H. Netter Quinnipac University
Howard University (?)
Meharry University (?)
Temple University
University of Maryland
Eastern Virginia Medical School (?)
Western Michigan university
Commonwealth Medical College
Chicago Rosalind Franklin
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Hofstra
GWU
Georgetown
Indiana University (?)
Jefferson college
Loma Linda(?)
Loyola
NYMC
Tufts
Rutgers RWJ (?)
University of Toledo (?)
Albany
VCU (?)
FIU (?)
Rush Medical College
Michigan State (?)
Pennsylvania State
University of Central Florida (?)
University of South Florida (?)

I am also planning on applying DO to MSUCOM, PCOM, NYIT-COM, CCOM, TouroCOM-NY, VCOM-VC and RowanCOM

Members don't see this ad.

In order to give you more accurate advice, we will need to know what were your stats when you applied the first time and what has changed since then . -Admissions to Medicine

Also, what is your state of residence?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would eliminate Howard and Meharry unless you are URM

Applicants who are not URM but who have demonstrated an active interest in helping underserved communities can be successful at these schools. You need to know the nature of the OP's research and other ECs to make this statement.

Why should he/she do that? @ Howard and Meharry if he* will be considered the minority if he* is not a traditional URM - Admissionstomedicine

Non-minority applicants are not conferred minority status when they apply to historically black schools. They get plenty of applications from such individuals who think based on MCAT/GPA they can use them as a back up . . . and then they don't even get an interview. As a non-URM you need to show compelling dedication to the missions of these institutions. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way, or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant, but I think your assertion that they would give URM status to non-URMs verges on offensive and is very ignorant for someone purporting to be a former adcom member.

Based off of MSAR a complied a list of 30 schools that I think I have a shot at - this is based off of GPA and MCAT scores alone. I put a "?" next to schools where my chances may not be as high given certain situations (financial, social, public vs private, etc). I would love to get some feedback on those schools if anyone has some to share.I am also not opposed to applying to more schools.

I applied with a weaker GPA and strong MCAT, and additionally that was 5 years ago, so my sense of stats might be off. However, I received an interview OOS from Toledo and FIU, so my inkling is to keep both of those. Cincinnati interviewed me, so I'd look into that.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm misunderstanding what you meant, but I think your assertion that they would give URM status to non-URMs verges on offensive and is very ignorant for someone purporting to be a former adcom member.
You speak from guessing, I speak from actual knowledge. As long as his mission aligns with that of the school, Non-URMs are viewed not so much as a minority but as an underrepresented applicant for that particular program. There is nothing offensive about my post. Don't try to create a scandal where none exist. The problem is, as you have stated, that many of these applicants use these schools as back-ups. These schools know this and will reject such applicants at first glance. However, those applicants with a genuine concern for helping undeserved communities are viewed in a positive light. -Admissionstomedicine

Reactions: 1 users
You speak from guessing, I speak from actual knowledge.

Humble, professional, and intriguing from someone who (1) knows nothing of my background, and (2) apparently has different "actual knowledge" than other adcoms on SDN, seeing as you have:
-told someone his drug related misdemeanor is a pot of gold for a story to tell adcoms/licensing boards
-told someone with a 38 MCAT/3.6 GPA that you are 100% sure he must be blabbering in his interviews (completely overlooking the fact that schools that barely take OOS applicants made up nearly half of his application list?!)
-advised that most schools prefer a high GPA with low MCAT rather than vice versa
-told someone to retake a 30MCAT who had other areas of his app that he couldn't accidentally tank in the process of trying to improve them.

Regardless of whether you think my opinion is right/wrong (and evidently you think it is right), even if I were "guessing", I'm not advertising myself as an expert. Pre-meds can see clearly that I am a medical student and weigh my words accordingly.

There is nothing offensive about my post. Don't try to create a scandal where none exist.

I prefaced my statement by saying that perhaps I was misinterpreting yours and that it was coming across in a way other than you intended, so there is no reason to accuse me of trying to create scandal rather than simply explaining what you meant. Perhaps you don't appreciate it, but I do think it was initially offensive to those programs, b/c it devalues their mission to say they'll treat non-URMs as URMs if you don't include the caveat I added . . . which should be among the KEY/FIRST pieces of advice given to anybody trying for those HBCUs.

Humble, professional, and intriguing from someone who (1) knows nothing of my background, and (2) apparently has different "actual knowledge" than other adcoms on SDN, seeing as you have:
-told someone his drug related misdemeanor is a pot of gold for a story to tell adcoms/licensing boards
-told someone with a 38 MCAT/3.6 GPA that you are 100% sure he must be blabbering in his interviews (completely overlooking the fact that schools that barely take OOS applicants made up nearly half of his application list?!)
-advised that most schools prefer a high GPA with low MCAT rather than vice versa
-told someone to retake a 30MCAT who had other areas of his app that he couldn't accidentally tank in the process of trying to improve them.

Regardless of whether you think my opinion is right/wrong (and evidently you think it is right), even if I were "guessing", I'm not advertising myself as an expert. Pre-meds can see clearly that I am a medical student and weigh my words accordingly.

Once again, you speak from guessing, I speak from actual knowledge.

Because it is. A religious studies major who gets busted for drug paraphernalia possession is pure gold. Try not to think too hard about that one.

-He made it to the interview rounds. He already cleared that hurdle. Anyone with those stats did not interview well period!

I said most schools want a high GPA AND high MCAT, but if you take a look at admitted "Outliers," most of those admitted have high GPA's and lower than average MCATs --most of the time-----Ask any other adcom this question.......

Once again, you speak from guessing, I speak from knowledge. No more comments from me here.

Once again, you speak from guessing, I speak from actual knowledge.
. . .
Once again, you speak from guessing, I speak from knowledge.
I cannot imagine the other adcoms responding to people like this. The reason I brought up your prior posts is they often contradict the advice that the other adcoms have been offering for years. Indeed, Goro and GynGyn disagreed with your GPA/MCAT opinion in the very thread where you wrote it, so I don't know why you're telling me to ask around.

No more comments from me here.
That would be nice.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Agreed, I should have clarified that point. If cutting schools and the OP is not URM/disadvantaged student nor has a history of working with underserved communities it might be worth eliminating the HBCs because their incoming classes are >75% URM.

OP: Add Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) in place of one of the Publics that are not OOS friendly

:) Don't you know, there's no point in us following up? We're just guessing.
Yes. MCW interviewed several of my friends OOS without amazing stats. On that note, I think Wayne State would be reasonable as well, no? (Maybe I'm confusing it with another Michigan program).

In order to give you more accurate advice, we will need to know what were your stats when you applied the first time and what has changed since then . -Admissions to Medicine

When I first applied my MCAT score was a 26 (PS:11 VR: 8 and BS 7). My Undergrad cGPA: 3.6 sGPA: 3.53. Research projects during each summer. Volunteered at a hospital but other than that no real clinical exposure. Lots of EC's which I am very passionate about and can be clearly seen.

Since then I have got a masters in science from a pretty good school GPA : 3.56. tons of shadowing from a variety of fields. I currently work as a scribe through ScribeAmerica and also have a research job (through a PI I worked with during the summers).

Also, what is your state of residence?
Maryland

And in terms of URM work, I do a lot of service work through a non profit organization called Catholic Charities. Its a branch through the Head Start program that is primarily dedicated to giving underprivileged kids an early education.

Thanks for everyones suggestions

Agreed, I should have clarified that point. If cutting schools and the OP is not URM/disadvantaged student nor has a history of working with underserved communities it might be worth eliminating the HBCs because their incoming classes are >75% URM.

OP: Add Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) in place of one of the Publics that are not OOS friendly. Also check your list for schools that average multiple MCATs vs look at most recent or highest

Does MSAR show how schools view mcats (average vs recent/highest) because I haven't been able to see the information laid out like that

OP take your list of shcools and go back through the MSAR and see how your goals align with school missions (ie do you want to do primary care, service based, research base, etc (this also might eliminate schools like Howard)). If you aren't interested in service, you can prob cut schools like Rush. You might be able to rule out other schools that you might not be a good "fit" for too. In addition to GPA MCAT, look at %OOS students that each school takes. If you are interested in Primary care, add Vermont and Wayne State. Also add NYMC.

What is your masters? I'm not sure that a 3.5 master's GPA is very strong. Could be wrong though.

Have you looked into Temple's ACMS post bacc? you might be a good applicant for that and you are guaranteed admissions upon completion.

IMO I think you are very strong for DO schools. If you would be happy with DO, you will save a ton of time/money applying to DO and a few MD schools. 40 Applications will be a nightmare to complete and pay for.

Maybe post your school list in What are my chances thread. More ADCOMs respond in that thread.

Good luck!!!

OP take your list of shcools and go back through the MSAR and see how your goals align with school missions (ie do you want to do primary care, service based, research base, etc (this also might eliminate schools like Howard)). If you aren't interested in service, you can prob cut schools like Rush. You might be able to rule out other schools that you might not be a good "fit" for too. In addition to GPA MCAT, look at %OOS students that each school takes. If you are interested in Primary care, add Vermont and Wayne State. Also add NYMC.

What is your masters? I'm not sure that a 3.5 master's GPA is very strong. Could be wrong though.

Have you looked into Temple's ACMS post bacc? you might be a good applicant for that and you are guaranteed admissions upon completion.

IMO I think you are very strong for DO schools. If you would be happy with DO, you will save a ton of time/money applying to DO and a few MD schools. 40 Applications will be a nightmare to complete and pay for.

Maybe post your school list in What are my chances thread. More ADCOMs respond in that thread.

Good luck!!!

My masters is in Biomedical Sciences. A 3.5 isnt as strong as I had hoped but unfortunately I got a B- in a course that brought my GPA down. A lot of the other courses were P/F so it was very difficult to overcome that B-. I think the post bacc program is only for people who have completed a bachelors degree, I dont think I would be qualified with my MS. I am extremely content with a DO, I'm basically applying to all DO schools that are OOS friendly which is how I have my list currently. As for MD, Im applying to anything I think I have a shot.. narrow my list down to 20 MD? 40 schools does seem daunting but I feel like that's the only way...

Thank you, you've been very helpful! Ill definitely post on the "what are my chances" thread.