School list for 3.76 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 517 MCAT, CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nylock10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd love some help picking out-of-state schools to apply to. Ideally I would stay as close to California as possible but recognize the difficulty of that. I'm interested in primary care and my essays and experience reflect that. Where should I consider applying? For reference, UC Davis is my ideal school.

cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.65
MCAT: 517
State: CA
Ethnicity: White
Undergraduate Institution: UC Berkeley
Clinical Experience: Primary care clinic for underserved community (0.5 years); volunteer EMT organization (2 years, many teaching and leadership roles, public outreach events); 9-1-1 ambulance service (1 year, urban underserved population)
Research Experience: Research assistant in zoology (2 years)
Shadowing Experience: Limited shadowing with Internal Medicine physician
Non-Clinical Volunteering: Zoology museum volunteer (2 years)
Other Activities: Assistant instructor for EMT program (0.5 years); swimmer for club team (2 years)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'd love some help picking out-of-state schools to apply to. Ideally I would stay as close to California as possible but recognize the difficulty of that. I'm interested in primary care and my essays and experience reflect that. Where should I consider applying? For reference, UC Davis is my ideal school.

cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.65
MCAT: 517
State: CA
Ethnicity: White
Undergraduate Institution: UC Berkeley
Clinical Experience: Primary care clinic for underserved community (0.5 years); volunteer EMT organization (2 years, many teaching and leadership roles, public outreach events); 9-1-1 ambulance service (1 year, urban underserved population)
Research Experience: Research assistant in zoology (2 years)
Shadowing Experience: Limited shadowing with Internal Medicine physician
Non-Clinical Volunteering: Zoology museum volunteer (2 years)
Other Activities: Assistant instructor for EMT program (0.5 years); swimmer for club team (2 years)

OUWB in Michigan accepts a lot of California kids, and are very committed to service. It might be a good fit for you to look into!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a resource that shows schools that typically accept CA students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that I know of, but in the state of Michigan the breakdown of states represented always includes Cali in the top three. I would look around to private schools in the midwest and east coast where your MCAT is in their median on MSAR, and see how high up the list Cali is in their class profile. I would bet it's in the top 5 for most schools.

Are any of these realistic options for me? I think I qualify for mission-based groups in at least UW and Oregon. According to the MSAR, the other schools are within my GPA and MCAT range and accept California residents.
  1. University of Washington School of Medicine
  2. Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine
  3. University of Utah School of Medicine
  4. University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson
  5. University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix
  6. University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine
  7. University of Nebraska College of Medicine
  8. University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
  9. University of Oklahoma College of Medicine
  10. University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucile A. Carver College of Medicine
  11. Medical College of Wisconsin
  12. University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
  13. University of Minnesota Medical School

Based on my experience, don't bother with UW or OHSU. Their OOS acceptance rate is so low, it's not worth considering if you're not a resident. The UAs are relatively CA friendly. Medical college of Wisconsin is a private school, so they wouldn't necessarily have an explicit IS requirement like other state schools might.

However, that said, I'd primarily focus on private schools OOS. Even in IS schools that are "CA-friendly", the ratio of applicants to interviews seems unfavorable. For example, in my class at UA, we have 12 CA resident matriculants out of 80 students. Apparently there were about ~1000 CA applications the year I applied. No idea how many were actually interviewed or accepted, although you can probably extrapolate that information from the number of OOS interviews offered (since a majority seem to be from CA everywhere).

Look into OUWB, Quinnipiac, St. Louis University, Georgetown, George Washington, the SUNYs, Albert Einstein, Temple, BU, Tufts, Thomas Jefferson, the Florida schools, Rush, Loyola, Ohio State, Toledo, UVA, VCU, EVMS, Virginia Tech, etc. You're very competitive for many OOS schools, so you probably won't even have to consider many of the schools I just listed. In my experience, these are the kinds of schools that have offered me and my CA resident friends interviews and acceptances.

Thanks for the advice. I looked at your suggestions and revised my list. How is this looking?

1. Albany Medical College
  2. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  3. Drexel University College of Medicine
  4. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  5. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
  6. Medical College of Wisconsin
  7. Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
  8. Ohio State University College of Medicine
  9. Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
  10. Rush Medical College
  11. Saint Louis University School of Medicine
  12. State University of New York Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
  13. State University of New York Upstate Medical University
  14. Tulane University School of Medicine
  15. University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson
  16. University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix
  17. University of Colorado School of Medicine
  18. University of Illinois College of Medicine
  19. University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucile A. Carver College of Medicine
  20. University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Together with my in-state schools this puts me at a total of 30.