School List Help 3.9 GPA 37MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NorthOfBroad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first time here and I was looking for school list advice. I unfortunately get no help from my advising office which says I can apply to only the Johns Hopkins and Harvard's of the world. I am mainly concerned I do not have enough 'target' schools. Anyway I was hoping I could get some creating a school list and I appreciate any insights.

Biochem major, history minor at Large State University, PA resident
cGPA- ~3.9, sGPA- ~4.0
MCAT (8/2/14)- 37 (14PS 12V 11BS)
ECs:
Research for 4 semester during the school year 2 posters at University fair, (~800hrs), 'strong' LOR
Research at UPenn last summer (will be returning this summer)- No pubs (~400hrs) 'strong' LOR
Volunteering- 250hrs at ED, ~500hrs at hospital that I started in high school and volunteered through college with (not sure how I will put this on my app)
Shadowing- 40hrs with Cardiologist, 20hrs with surgeon, hopefully with another physician before I apply
Chemistry club- Treasurer, Public Relations, Social Chair (3 years)
Pediatric Cancer Dance Marathon- 80 hrs
Philanthropy club for Children in need- Service Chair (1 year)
Worked at theme park for 2 summers in college (started in high school, but will probably only put college work experience)
Club Sports athlete

School List:
Sidney Kimmel SOM
Penn State
Temple
USC
Baylor
Boston University
Giesel Dartmouth
Hofstra
Drexel
TCMC
Wake Forrest
Rochester
Loyola
Rush
Penn
Stanford
UCSF
Michigan
UCLA

Members don't see this ad.

My best piece of advice: you can literally NEVER predict which top schools will like your app and which won't. I'm sure a really experienced person could find common threads that each top school looks for (i.e. Stanford loves research), but the best way to make a case is to apply as broadly as possible. You're qualified for all top schools, so I would apply to any top 20/30 schools that interest you. Why not add Hopkins/Harvard/Duke/Yale/Chicago? Unless you don't like the areas, I say go for it. Also, with your stats you'd probably qualify for an automatic secondary at Vanderbilt (3.8./37 screen this year), so that couldn't hurt either.

You are not limited in anywhere you apply, so congrats! You list is possibly a little bottom heavy...I only say that because a school like Drexel that gets 13k apps will likely think you won't go there because you'll end up at a better school (and chances are you will). Break down your preference by region...since you're from Philly, Penn State, Jeff, Temple, and TCMC should be good target/safeties for you.

Again, I can't stress applying broadly enough. Some kids have incredibly unique apps and get in everywhere, and some kids have really rough luck and only get into a few schools even though they're highly qualified. The vast majority of us, though, will get lucky at a few places. As a point of reference, a few top 10 schools accepted me and offered me merit scholarships; a few others had no interest in even interviewing me. It's so hard to predict, so give yourself as many chances are possible.

You're golden. Aim high.

I suggest:

Sidney Kimmel SOM and ALL other PA schools
USC
Baylor
Boston University
Hofstra
Rochester
Loyola
Stanford
Harvard
Yale