School List Help 31 MCAT, CA Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corleone90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reading! I know there's a billion of these on here, but here it is. I need help creating a school list. I hope to submit my application in early June. Here's my stats, etc:

31 MCAT (10 b, 10 p, 11v),
3.85 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA,
California resident, asian male,
average extracurriculars

Here's a tentative list of schools I plan on applying to. If you think there are some schools I should take off or add, please post. All comments are greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty self-conscious about my stats, so I tried to minimize reach schools and maximize the amount of schools I have a decent shot of at least getting an interview (this is why I've left out some of the more competitive California schools - let me know if you feel if this is a mistake).

MD:

UC Davis
Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
UC Irvine
Creighton University
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Wash. Univ.
Georgetown Univ.
Jefferson Med. College
Medical College of Wis.
UC Riverside
Saint Louis University
New York Medical College
University of Miami
Virginia Commonwealth
Penn State
Oakland Univ.
Univ. of Vermont
Temple
Wake Forest
Wayne State Univ.
Tulane
Frank Netter
Western Michigan
Albert Einstein
Commonwealth Med

DO:

TCOM
PCOM
DMU
Western

Members don't see this ad.

Cool! We have similar stats except yours is better.
How about the SUNY's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for reading! I know there's a billion of these on here, but here it is. I need help creating a school list. I hope to submit my application in early June. Here's my stats, etc:

3.85 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA,
average extracurriculars

Here's a tentative list of schools I plan on applying to. If you think there are some schools I should take off or add, please post. All comments are greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty self-conscious about my stats, so I tried to minimize reach schools and maximize the amount of schools I have a decent shot of at least getting an interview (this is why I've left out some of the more competitive California schools - let me know if you feel if this is a mistake).

MD:

UC Davis
Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
UC Irvine
Creighton University
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Wash. Univ.
Georgetown Univ.
Jefferson Med. College
Medical College of Wis.
UC Riverside
Saint Louis University
New York Medical College
University of Miami
Virginia Commonwealth
Penn State
Oakland Univ.
Univ. of Vermont
Temple
Wake Forest
Wayne State Univ.
Tulane
Frank Netter
Western Michigan
Albert Einstein
Commonwealth Med

DO:

TCOM
PCOM
DMU
Western

I have similar stats as you, and I've had success with 2 schools on that list, I'm also from CA

3.85 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA,
average extracurriculars

MD:

UC Davis
Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
UC Irvine
Creighton University
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Wash. Univ.
Georgetown Univ.
Jefferson Med. College
Medical College of Wis.
UC Riverside
Saint Louis University
New York Medical College
University of Miami
Virginia Commonwealth
Penn State
Oakland Univ.
Univ. of Vermont
Temple
Wake Forest
Wayne State Univ.
Tulane
Frank Netter
Western Michigan
Albert Einstein
Commonwealth Med

DO:

TCOM
PCOM
DMU
Western

I really like this list. As you can probably assume, I'm from Texas, and I've heard that Texas schools like to see that you applied to every single school in Texas for a spot. Doing this makes you seem more equal and accepting of medical schools. You may want to consider applying to all the CA schools just for the heck of it if they are like this as well.

Otherwise, your list is pretty good in my opinion. Perhaps you can increase your MCATs? You've got a good GPA. I've always wondered how some people with excellent GPAs don't do so hot in their MCATs but others with lower GPAs seem to do very well. Perhaps it's all in the studying and approach taken? Food for thought. Ideas?

Pretty good list. Just slight comments

MD:

UC Davis
Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
UC Irvine
Creighton University
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Wash. Univ.
Georgetown Univ.
Jefferson Med. College
Medical College of Wis.
UC Riverside
Saint Louis University
New York Medical College
University of Miami
Virginia Commonwealth
Penn State
Oakland Univ.
Univ. of Vermont
Temple
Wake Forest
Wayne State Univ. - not that OOS friendly
Tulane
Frank Netter
Western Michigan - not OOS friendly?
Albert Einstein
Commonwealth Med - want to train people who will practice in the area

Might also want to consider both Arizona schools, SUNY (downstate, upstate, stony brook, buffalo), cincinnati, and wake forest.

I really like this list. As you can probably assume, I'm from Texas, and I've heard that Texas schools like to see that you applied to every single school in Texas for a spot. Doing this makes you seem more equal and accepting of medical schools. You may want to consider applying to all the CA schools just for the heck of it if they are like this as well.

Otherwise, your list is pretty good in my opinion. Perhaps you can increase your MCATs? You've got a good GPA. I've always wondered how some people with excellent GPAs don't do so hot in their MCATs but others with lower GPAs seem to do very well. Perhaps it's all in the studying and approach taken? Food for thought. Ideas?
We can't see where one has applied in CA (or anywhere else!). It has no influence on our opinion of the candidate.

Re-taking a good MCAT is not good risk management.

We can't see where one has applied in CA (or anywhere else!). It has no influence on our opinion of the candidate.

Re-taking a good MCAT is not good risk management.

Oh really? I had no idea! I was told by my premed advisor (I think) that they can see where you apply in state.

What do you consider as a good MCAT?

Oh really? I had no idea! I was told by my premed advisor (I think) that they can see where you apply in state.

What do you consider as a good MCAT?
Texas uses their own application system and it is entirely possible that they may share such information.

A good MCAT varies somewhat by state. In CA the MCAT of successful candidates is about 32. Thus, he has a "good MCAT". Most successful candidates from CA matriculate OOS not IS.

The OP wisely avoided CA schools whose median MCAT was 3 or more points greater than his, even though technically they are "in-state". He certainly may spend his $100 for the chance to get the attention of the other IS schools. Choosing OOS schools where they will be more likely to interview is a lovely example of evidence based practice! It also shows maturity. I wish him every success.

I have similar stats as you, and I've had success with 2 schools on that list, I'm also from CA

You also have the best avatar in the history of SDN.

I like the list as well OP. Maybe Rush and Loyola? As I think some of the SUNYs would hurt either. They like Cali.

Great list of schools. If I were to change anything, I'd remove Western MI and TCOM. I'd also add Case Western and maybe a SUNY or two.

I'm working on constructing a list with lower stats, but probably a lot more soft factors and it's similar (though, in my case I have a preference for NY).

3.85 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA,
average extracurriculars

MD:

UC Davis
Albany Medical College
Rosalind Franklin
UC Irvine
Creighton University
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
George Wash. Univ.
Georgetown Univ.
Jefferson Med. College
Medical College of Wis.