School list help, please. 3.95 and 34.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryblake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think Duke, NWU, Pitt, and UCSF rely pretty heavily on research. Maybe replace with high tier schools that are more clinically focused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply to research powerhouses if you have no research experience regardless of stats. Period. Your stats are good enough to throw a couple apps at NYU, Vandy, Mt Sinai type schools but that's if you wait a year and spend the next year doing research. The one possible exception(and emphasis on possible) might be U of Michigan but even if you are an in-stater given how many in-staters have top stats and significant research experience, it will still be a significant uphill battle applying with zero research experience.

What I would recommend considering

ALL michigan schoools(that includes Oakland, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, not just Wayne State and MSU)
Rochester
USC
Einstein(maybe)
Emory
Ohio State
Toledo
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind
Quinnipac
Medical College Wisconsin
U of Wisconsin(maybe)
Indiana(maybe)
Temple
Drexel
USF
Jefferson
Wake Forest
Hofstra
VCU
Eastern Virginia
Miami
U of Arizona
Tulane

Even if you do get research experience I would ditch the UC schools, UNC, Brown and Dartmouth. U Chicago and Stanford are kind of pushing things even if you do wait a year to accumulate research experience.

Hi, all!

I'm a University of Michigan, AA German major. Transferred from Oakland University in Michigan after two years. I have a 3.95 GPA (pretty much same for science). 34 MCAT, 11 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS. Strong letters of rec I believe.

One year as scribe in ER.
One year as scribe in urology with experience observing surgery.
One year of sporadic hospice volunteering.
3 seasons of recreational ice hockey through college.
One year study abroad in Freiburg, Germany.
Decent awards, nothing super. No real clubs besides pre-med club.
A few seasons mowing grass with my uncle.
Probably going to have a week or two of pediatric shadowing in Freiburg, Germany soon.
One thing is that I'm missing is research entirely. I have, however, an interview in a week for a research assistant position with a urology researcher. Seems promising, so I hope to have research under my belt during my gap year.

Having trouble coming up with a great school list with a good mixture. Here's what I have right now:

University of Michigan (would probably go here if I got a spot)
Michigan State MD
Wayne State
Stanford
UCSF
UCLA
Duke
UNC Chapel Hill
Brown
Dartmouth
Northwestern
University of Chicago
Ohio State
University of Wisconsin
Pitt
Vermont
Indiana
Yale

Too optimistic? Do I have enough I could get into? Not sure how I feel about studying in Chigago, so maybe I could get rid of Northwestern or Chicago?

Thanks so much!

Ryan
You are my Stats twin, and I'm a Michigan resident too. See my MDAPPS for some suggestions. However, I do have research experience, that is about the biggest difference. UCSF/UC/Stanford is a real reach with our stats, and with no real research, that is a gift to the admissions offices. I would think about culling the reaches and adding more middle tier.

I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is better as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some, especially after you get your research experience in.

U VM

U Toledo (maybe)

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush

Rosy Franklin

NYMC

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

Tulane

USC/Keck

Dartmouth

Loyola

USF Morsani

Emory

BU

Baylor

JHU

Mayo

Pitt

Northwestern

NYU

Vanderbilt

Columbia

Duke

Case

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.

Your state school(s).