School list help please. URM 3.7cGPA 3.7sGPA (just took MCAT but was scoring low-mid 30s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drchris4791

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody. I was hoping that I could get some feedback on my tentative school list.

I graduated from Fordham University last year and have been using my year off so far to study for the MCAT, teach, and volunteer. I am an NY resident and would like to stay in New York for medical school but its also been my dream to study and practice in California. I am also a Puerto Rican URM. I would appreciate any school suggestions or advice on applying in the northeast and in California (MD/DO). I am hoping I do as well on the MCAT as my practice exams suggested (33-35).

STATS/WORK/EC/VOLUNTEER
Biology Major/ Philosophy Minor
3 years as an active EMT (volunteer)
Shadowed a Peds ER physician (~100 hours)
Summer Undergraduate Mentorship Program at Einstein (Summer 2010)
Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) at Einstein (Summer 2011)
1 and a half year long independent research experience at Fordham University
Summer Research experience abroad in Madrid, Spain at the Cajal Institute under a famous neuro P.I.
Several conferences attended and posters presented
Upcoming global health research project in Dublin, Ireland at Trinity College
1 Semester teaching College Biology as apart of the STEP program (works with underserved students) paid
College Strive Mentor(weekly 2014) (guiding Bronx students through the process of applying to 4-year colleges) (volunteer)
Fordham Orientation Group Leader. 2 years mentoring and conducting small groups for freshman students (volunteer)
Head Organic Chemistry Tutor. 2 years running orgo tutor organization on campus. tutored classroom sizes of about 100 students as well as tutoring students one on one. (Volunteer/ then paid)

SCHOOL LIST *tentative on MCAT score

nyu
einstein
mount sinai
columbia *reach
cornell *reach
hofstra
stony brook
boston university
georgetown
ucla
ucsd
ucsf
stanford *reach

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just updated the tread. I got excited and posted it too early. My father is Puerto Rican and my mother is Guyanese.
It is so hard to help you with a list without an MCAT score.
How are your language skills? Venezolanos are not generally considered under-represented in medicine. Do you have evidence of commitment to service to the Boriqua community?

It is so hard to help you with a list without an MCAT score.
How are your language skills?
Do you have any suggestions based on the hope of a score of 33-35? My Spanish is rough. I lived and worked in Spain for three months last year so I can definitely get around. My father just never took the time to really teach me when I was younger. I practice everyday though when I communicate with my grandma and other relatives.

Do you have any suggestions based on the hope of a score of 33-35? My Spanish is rough. I lived and worked in Spain for three months last year so I can definitely get around. My father just never took the time to really teach me when I was younger. I practice everyday though when I communicate with my grandma and other relatives.
I'll wait for the real score!
Without significant language skills or community involvement, you will not get much of a UIM boost, though.

I'll wait for the real score!
Without significant language skills or community involvement, you will not get much of a UIM boost, though.
My language skills do need improving. I practice everyday and I am on a communicative level at the moment. I am just not fluent. Under my experiences I put that I have worked with the underserved communities in the Bronx. I have two years mentoring and teaching students in the STEP program. I have volunteered time with high school students in the Bronx go through the college application process successfully. I have also participated in programs that had their research aimed in identifying disparities in health.

My language skills do need improving. I practice everyday and I am on a communicative level at the moment. I am just not fluent. Under my experiences I put that I have worked with the underserved communities in the Bronx. I have two years mentoring and teaching students in the STEP program. I have volunteered time with high school students in the Bronx go through the college application process successfully. I have also participated in programs that had their research aimed in identifying disparities in health.
That's good.
CA is a tough nut, even for Californians. I would go so far as to say that all the CA schools you have listed are reaches, even with a 35 MCAT. We are the country's largest exporter of successful pre-meds. 2/3's of our candidates actually leave the state to go to medical school.

That's good.
CA is a tough nut, even for Californians. I would go so far as to say that all the CA schools you have listed are reaches, even with a 35 MCAT.
First of all, thank you. I really appreciate the help. I understand that the UC schools are a very small chance but I just need to spend the money and take a shot and see. I would love to live and practice in California. Otherwise, I need to start rounding out my northeast choices. My list is pretty small so far.