School list help/suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johhnyboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
White male applying this cycle (in a few weeks to be exact)
Virginia Resident
--3.73 cGPA/3.84 sGPA
-My First semester freshman year was terrible at a 3.1, then a 3.6 second semester. Have only recieved 2 A-'s and all A's in around 70 credits (two years).
--29 MCAT (9PS,9VR,11BS)
--Ec's
-200 hours volunteering at a free clinic. This includes triaging patients, performing laboratory tests (A1c's, urinalysis, EKG's,etc) and assisting doctors in administering injections and performing in-house procedures.
-I am a certified nurse aid (120 hour course- 80 classroom/40 clinical in a nursing home)
-Shadowed an Oncologist at UVA (hospital and clinic) as well as an anesthesiologist (hospital) in my home town for a combined total of around 50 hours.
-A few other small things not worth mentioning on here

No research

So basically i am wondering what my chances are at these schools below with an outline of what i have. Very poor MCAT score :( lack of research, etc.

The list is not final as i personally feel i need to add a lot more "lower" tier schools.
U of Alabama
U of Arizona
U of Arkansas
GW
Georgetown
Florida State
U of Florida
U of Georgia
Northwestern-----haha yeah right, for ****'s and gigs
UI-Chicago
U of Kentucky
Louisville
Tufts
Hopkins-----also a huge haha (prob will take out but eh who knows)
U of Maryland
U of Michigan----def another lol but parents went here so this is their bidding
U of Minnesota
Duke
UNC
UVA
U of Oklahoma
Drexel
PSU
Temple
Pitt
U of South Carolina
TN
VCU--honestly want this one the most

Okay so there ya have it....def need a lot more fall backs as most of those schools have around a 30 MCAT average. Prob have a few too many reach but there's no shame in shooting for the stars right?

any and all feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would look more at the Arizona schools... I believe they are pretty in-state oriented. My suggestion is look through MSAR and figure out which ones accept more out of state applicants. I am in the same position.

UKentucky usually requires a 32+ MCAT for OOS students to receive a secondary let alone be interviewed and ULouisville requires strong ties to the state for OOS students....I would look into some lower stat schools that are more OOS friendly like Wright State, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with your MCAT is that is is well below avg, and most of the state schools on your list are not OOS friendly, and even if they are, they favor the home team, and so you'd need to be well above avg.

Stick with your own state school (if any) and the low-medium tier schools. You're also fine for any DO program, including mine.

Applying to "giggles" will be appreciated by them as they'll view your application fee as a donation.

GW
Georgetown
Tufts
U of Maryland (maybe)
UVA
Drexel
Temple
VCU
Jefferson
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
Albany (maybe)