MD School List help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihopemd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I need help figuring out what kind of schools I am supposed to look for.

Foreign student

Major: Biochemistry

GPA : 3.87(All A’s and A-)

MCAT : 38 PS 12/ BS 14 / VR 12

School deemed competitive+ in Barron's Profiles of American Colleges

EC :

Clinical :

100 hours working as a Research Associate for multiple clinical studies. that’s when I decided I wanted to become a doctor :D

200 hours volunteering in a children’s hospital

200 hours volunteering in a hospital. I was the one interviewing patients when they arrive

200 hours in a free clinic

Clinical/Shadowing:

1800+ as a scribe

100 hours (3 spec)

Volunteering non clinical:

4 years as a Translator in an international non-profit organization for Human Rights

1 semester as a TA, I was grading labs.

Research:

Microbiology research (1 publication, posters in national conference, posters in different schools in state)

Biochemistry research (posters)

2 years in biomedical engineering (in Sweden) with 1 publication and talks in Sweden, France, and 5 African countries with 1 Ted Talk in a country of Africa. I have also done a Talk back in my school.

Extra:

I have a YouTube channel and a facebook page for women rights where women tell their stories (related to sexual harrassment, family pressure, social pressure...etc.). The facebook channel has 100,000+ followers and YouTube more than 10 million views. It has a HUGE success and the newspapers in different countries talked about it (My friend and I started it 4 years ago)

I also make science videos on YouTube (another channel).

Jobs:

I have worked 20h/week when I was in school.

IT job, Lab prep, Grading labs (4 years)

Letters: 5 excellent (science, non science, PI, community service)

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have stellar numbers and outstanding ECs through and through. Feel free to aim for the top. Just make sure to apply to some mid-tier schools as "safety".

Ah...didn't notice that you are a foreign student.

Will you have permanent residency (green card) by the time of application? If not, you'll have to apply as an international applicant.

However, your application is excellent enough to give you a great shot regardless of your status. I know international students (with stats and ECs less impressive than yours) getting into top 30 medical schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your application is outstanding -- amazing stats and ECs. I agree with @gyngyn's advice, and wish you all the best!!

Reactions: 1 user
Ah...didn't notice that you are a foreign student.

Will you have permanent residency (green card) by the time of application? If not, you'll have to apply as an international applicant.

However, your application is excellent enough to give you a great shot regardless of your status. I know international students (with stats and ECs less impressive than yours) getting into top 30 medical schools.

I'm getting married next year and won't have the green card until a year later (if they give it to me). I've already taken 2 gap years and don't want to add 2 more :D

Thank you everyone. It is really helpful