School List (high stat)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoogieBlues

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Long-time observer here but this is my first post. I am currently working on my list of schools and just want to run it by the SDN community to make sure I'm on the right track. I've read so much about how difficult it is to be accepted at top schools and although my numbers are certainly sufficient, I fully understand that there is much more to the process.
All of that said, here are my numbers, brief EC summary, and current list of potential schools.

MCAT: 43, BS:14 PS:14 VR:15
GPA: 4.0 (southern state school)

EC's:
~130 hrs shadowing, slightly over half is primary care, others are surgery

Musical involvement. Accomplished pianist & singer as well as playing several other instruments. This is my strongsuit as far as hobbies/outside interests are concerned.

1 year intercollegiate athletics (in a major conference)

Research: two projects, one in animal behavior which is nearing completion and will hopefully be published and another dealing with evolution and music that I intend on submitting for publication early this summer. Both of these are small scale (1 semester) projects.

Fairly large number of non-clinical volunteer hours including one long-term commitment (>400 hrs), however, nothing that is spectacular.

School List:
LSU New Orleans (state school)
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
Harvard
Hopkins
Penn
Stanford
UCLA
Chicago (Pritzker)
UNC
Virginia
Vanderbilt
Wake
Wash U
Yale

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Long-time observer here but this is my first post. I am currently working on my list of schools and just want to run it by the SDN community to make sure I'm on the right track. I've read so much about how difficult it is to be accepted at top schools and although my numbers are certainly sufficient, I fully understand that there is much more to the process.
All of that said, here are my numbers, brief EC summary, and current list of potential schools.

EC's:
~100 hrs shadowing, slightly over half is primary care, others are surgery

You need to add real clinical work and service and then you can apply to any school.

Reactions: 1 user
If that is all you have for EC's, I would throw a lot of mid and low tier schools in there as well
As you said, there is much more to the process than just numbers. Top schools are looking for future leaders in medicine, you have to have demonstrated that in some form.
No research?
No leadership?
No volunteering/altruism?
No high level hobbies?
err....

edit: No I can't believe this is all you can list for EC. There must be something else you can think of. I know myself I had to actually think about the things I had done - maybe you just haven't given much thought to what you've really done

Members don't see this ad :)
The numbers themselves are platinum.
I do hope there are solid ECs to go with them.

EC's:
~100 hrs shadowing, slightly over half is primary care, others are surgery
Edit: posted prematurely. Will finish the rest of the post in ASAP[/QUOTE]

@URMD,
Sorry about that. I accidentally posted while halfway through typing so I had to go back in and list the EC's through editing. The updated list briefly touches on most of my outside interests. And thank you very much for the input. I appreciate it.

For the piano thing you'll need to provide an ex. Of the largest venue you've played. If you are really good at piano but can't demonstrate that it's not very strong.

In general your ECs are a bit weak (no volunteering? No clinical volunteering?)

My app was similar, include mid tier (35-65) and a couple "low tier" schools if you don't want to risk having to apply again. You can always schedule the interviews later in the season and withdraw if you have an acceptance before then.

All this being said being in top 10% for students isn't a key to getting in. A huge part is playing the game which to be honest you haven't really done.

Apply this cycle with some mid/low tiers or if you HAVE to get into a top place do some serious clinical volunteering and take a gap year at the NIH or something.

Okay. Thank you. I have been working on on trying to determine the best way to list the music thing, but am going to refrain from mentioning specific events here for the sake of anonymity.
As far as volunteering goes, I'm honestly not certain on the the exact line between that and shadowing as I have helped out a fair amount when spending time with the primary care doctor so that might be something to list as clinical volunteering since I have a significant amount of other shadowing. Also, my outside volunteering with church and various charities totals somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 hours but as mentioned is relatively basic things (such as preparing meals, clean up, etc.).
I apologize for the lack of clarity in the initial post.

Another thing that I completely forgot to mention is that I am graduating a year early (this may) and plan on taking a gap year so I will have time to fill out any holes. It looks like clinical volunteering would be a wise use of that time.

Honestly, you obviously have the numbers ( You really really have the numbers!) I would personally wait one year, apply when you have good EC's and you will be as goro put it, platinum for applications, and will likely get into top schools. As it stands now though, schools might be intrigued by your numbers, but it might be harder to articulate an interest in medicine than someone with a lot of clinical experience. You will probably get in somewhere this cycle, but a bunch of places next cycle. Your choice.