MD School list MCAT 41 GPA 3.9

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minoucha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Help me with my school list and what other activities I should add?

3 gap years

MCAT
GPA 3.9

Languages (Is that important?)

I speak 7 languages (Including Spanish)

Research:
4 years in organic, microbiology and biochemistry (no publications but national/in state presentations and posters)

EC

· Scribe for 2 years (part time)

· Other 2 significant activities in human and women’s rights (4 years)

· Habitat for Humanity for 2 years

· Tutoring online for free

· International students’ orientation (2 summers)

· Leader of a women’s rights movement that was portrayed in newspapers worldwide

Jobs

· Tutor in school (2 years)

· IT work in school

· TA in 2 science classes (3 years)

School list

Boston (I know, but I LOVE boston)
Harvard
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Washington
Duke
Stanford
Yale
Mayo
U Penn
Vanderbilt
JHU
UCSF
Columbia

Members don't see this ad.

Tell_me_i'm_pretty.gif

Assuming you're not trolling, you're good everywhere...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tell_me_i'm_pretty.gif

I am not trolling. It took me 3 gap years to do all of this and all of these 3 years focused only on my future application so nothing impressive compared to the ones who did everything in school.

I am not trolling. It took me 3 gap years to do all of this and all of these 3 years focused only on my future application so nothing impressive compared to the ones who did everything in school.

I would consider your stats + EC + 7 languages very impressive and I would wager everyone else would as well

Reactions: 1 user
aaaaaaaaaaah. I want to know who you are :D

Awesome and I also volunteered with habitat for humanity. I would say apply whatever you want just make sure to apply broadly and not only reach schools. I am no expert on which is a reach school or not so I'll let @Goro and @LizzyM and also @gyngyn talk about it if they are not too busy :)

Good luck on your application.

Only 7 languages? stick to your state schools and hope for the best.

Reactions: 2 users
I would consider your stats + EC + 7 languages very impressive and I would wager everyone else would as well

I agree, spanish will be very welcome. and 7 is amazing. I speak 5 but they are not languages needed in the U.S. except for French maybe. I am too lazy to add spanish.

Only 7 languages? stick to your state schools and hope for the best.

If they give me a full ride like they did for my classmate, I would give up on any other school and just stay in my apt :D

7 languages is not impressive where I come from. Pretty much everyone speaks at least 4-5 there.

aaaaaaaaaaah. I want to know who you are :D

Awesome and I also volunteered with habitat for humanity. I would say apply whatever you want just make sure to apply broadly and not only reach schools. I am no expert on which is a reach school or not so I'll let @Goro and @LizzyM and also @gyngyn talk about it if they are not too busy :)

Good luck on your application.
Habitat for humanity was an amazing experience. I can build houses by my own now :D

You're golden. Aim high.

Unless you live in a WWAMI state, remove U WA. That's assuming you didn't mean WashU. Otherwise, consider

Your state school(s)
Boston
Harvard
Wisconsin
U IA
Wash U
Duke
Stanford
Yale
Mayo
U Penn
Vanderbilt
JHU
UCSF
Columbia
Cornell
Pitt
Case
Vanderbilt
Yale
Dartmouth
USC
UCSD
UCLA
U Miami
Mt Sinai
NYU
Pritzker
Northwestern
Baylor
U TXSW
U TX-H
U VM
U VA
U MI
Ohio state
SUNY SB
SUNY DS
Tulane
Loyola
Hofstra

Tell_me_i'm_pretty.gif

Your gif reminds me of this really incredible girl that I happen to know who has the exact same app as OP (maybe better, since I think she's also a professional ice skater and did some epic stuff). She also happens to be really attractive as well, so I wasn't surprised she got into anywhere she wanted to. Man, the applicants these days :=|:-)::=|:-):

In regards to the thread topic, the same principle works. Apply wherever you want to go and enjoy your successes.

You're golden. Aim high.

Unless you live in a WWAMI state, remove U WA. That's assuming you didn't mean WashU. Otherwise, consider

Thank you, I will look at these schools for sure.

I want to apply to the one in Seattle since my husband is from there but I am not. I guess they don't accept OOS students :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Your gif reminds me of this really incredible girl that I happen to know who has the exact same app as OP (maybe better, since I think she's also a professional ice skater and did some epic stuff). She also happens to be really attractive as well, so I wasn't surprised she got into anywhere she wanted to. Man, the applicants these days :=|:-)::=|:-):

In regards to the thread topic, the same principle works. Apply wherever you want to go and enjoy your successes.

Thank you. I didn't know that sports counts. Would adding that I am a Krav Maga Level 6 help? Going to black in few months hopefully.

Tulane, Loyola, Hofstra will be a a waste of time. They'll expect you to pick a higher ranked school over them unless you have some crazy reason to specifically make one of them your first choice. Schools want to interview people that they have a chance of enticing to matriculate. In that vein, you might add Tufts as a Boston area school.

Remove UWashington. Consider U Chicago and Washington University in St. Louis. Both tend to be generous with merit aid. If Columbia, why not Cornell and /or NYU?

This is one of those rare times I'll disagree with my learned colleague.

My reasoning is: While there's a risk that a lower tier school might take a pass on you, figuring that you're low yield (meaning "minoucha could easily get into Harvard, so s/he'll never come here), I think it's worth having a few, because one may bomb the interviews at Harvard and Yale. In essence, I think it's better to have a downward reach, as opposed to a higher reach.

My school will always take you!

Tulane, Loyola, Hofstra will be a a waste of time. They'll expect you to pick a higher ranked school over them unless you have some crazy reason to specifically make one of them your first choice. Schools want to interview people that they have a chance of enticing to matriculate. In that vein, you might add Tufts as a Boston area school.

Remove UWashington. Consider U Chicago and Washington University in St. Louis. Both tend to be generous with merit aid. If Columbia, why not Cornell and /or NYU?

This is one of those rare times I'll disagree with my learned colleague.

My reasoning is: While there's a risk that a lower tier school might take a pass on you, figuring that you're low yield (meaning "minoucha could easily get into Harvard, so s/he'll never come here), I think it's worth having a few, because one may bomb the interviews at Harvard and Yale. In essence, I think it's better to have a downward reach, as opposed to a higher reach.

My school will always take you!
I will definitely look at all of them. If the mission and all that goes with it fits me, I'm pretty sure I could explain why I want them. I won't be applying in places I don't want to be in.

Thanks to all of you, this was very helpful. :)

Something else to consider:
Hofstra (bagels, deli, pizza, Carvel)
Tulae (Cajun food)
Loyola: that cassarole they call deep dish pizza

I will definitely look at all of them. If the mission and all that goes with it fits me, I'm pretty sure I could explain why I want them. I won't be applying in places I don't want to be in.

Thanks to all of you, this was very helpful. :)

I read somewhere that someone can apply to Stanford if s/he has publications. I don't. Should I just remove it?

Thanks.

Something else to consider:
Hofstra (bagels, deli, pizza, Carvel)
Tulae (Cajun food)
Loyola: that cassarole they call deep dish pizza
That would be for my husband to consider :D. I'm one of the rare persons on earth who eats just because I have to. If it is not chocolate, cheese and wine, I don't care :D

I read somewhere that someone can apply to Stanford if s/he has publications. I don't. Should I just remove it?

Thanks.
IDK but I doubt that 100% of those admitted have published. Ask on the Stanford specific thread for this year if anyone who did not have a publication got an offer and you'll have your answer.