MD School List Please: Non-Trad, 2.77cGPA post-bacc 3.66 GPA, 34 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HinduHammer

Righteous in Wrath
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a 29 year old Non-Trad having graduated in 2009 with a BS in Econ after 6 years in college. In 2011, I registered for some classes at a CC while working in Health IT field. I was a mess back then and never went to a single class nor withdrew so I got 2 Fs. When I decided to pursue med in 2012, I went to my local CC and since then have gotten a 4.00 in over 60 credits including all pre-med reqs. Thus, my post-bac GPA is a 3.66 (though in reality it is a 4.0 in the classes I have attended). I am currently taking A+P at a CC and Biochemistry at a 4-year local university, along with working in a research lab, being a biology SI (like a TA), and volunteering.

According to my AMCAS verified app:

BCPM AO Total
GPA (Hours) GPA (Hours) GPA (Hours)
Freshman 1.66 (10) 2.28 (16.5) 2.05 (26.5)
Sophomore 2.74 (7) 2.45 (23) 2.52 (30)
Junior 1.86 (21) 3.17 (29) 2.62 (50)
Senior 1.78 (16) 2.61 (70) 2.46 (86)
Postbaccaleureate Undergraduate 4.00 (46) 3.00 (24) 3.66 (70)
Cumulative Undergraduate 2.87 (100) 2.71 (162.5) 2.77 (262.5)

Just received my MCAT today of 34: 12, 11, 11

EC List: *=Most Meaningful
1. Caregiver to mentally/physically disabled sister* 5000+ hours over lifetime
2. ED Chief Scribe* 840 hours
3. --Confidential* -- please PM me if curious -- community service/volunteer non clinical 1500
4. Hobbies and Pastimes (actor in multiple plays over 10+ years, exercise/sports/yoga, piano/singing, reading) 1000+hours
5. Free Clinic Medical Scribe, Intake Nurse, ECG Tech 500+ hours
6. Publication (2014) and Econ Research (2006) 1000+ hours (4th author in national journal, primary author in 1 poster and 1 paper to be submitted for publication)
7. Community Service Organization Board Member / Children's Athletic Program Director 780 hours+
8. Congressional Intern (2006) / Appointee and Corresponding Secretary to County-wide Women's Advisory Commission (2011-2012) 600 / 192 hours
9. Hospital Volunteer (2007-08) ER and Childrens Clinic 112hours
10. EMR Manager and Physician Workflow Analyst (2010-2012) 4400 hours
11. Psychiatric Ward Volunteer Counselor (2012-pres) 144 Hours
12. Domestic Violence Advocate and Crisis Line Volunteer (2013-pres) 320 hours
13. Research Fellow - United States Food and Drug Administration (2013-2015) 768 hours
14. Gen Chem Supplemental Instructor and Tutor at local CC (2013-2015) 500 hours
15. Medical Genetics Research Non-Profit Organization Board Member and Co-Founder (2014-2015) 100+ hours (My sister is disabled due to genetic disease which is why we started this along with my MD/PhD friend, who is the PI and is in a Med-Genetics residency)

I have a strong PS according to readers, and LORs from:
1. ER Physician whom I scribed for (X2 )
2. Cardiologist whom I scribed for at free clinic
3. Co-volunteer/mentor at Most Meaningful activity #3
4. Research Principal Investigator
5. Organic Chem Teacher -- peaks to my performance in class and as an SI/tutor
6. Gen Chem Teacher -- speaks to my performance in class and as an SI/tutor and helping underserved communities

I have MSAR and realize that my GPA is frankly not competitive, and is below the 10th % at every school. However, I have maintained a 4.00 in 70 credits over the last 2 years all while working and maintaining several jobs and volunteering.

AMCAS verified 8/25/14

Can you PLEASE help me figure out a school list?

I have applied to:

1. University of Missouri - Columbia (#1 choice state school -- no 2ndary received)
2. Saint Louis University (2ndary received)
3. Medical College of Wisconsin (2ndary received)
4. Oakland University in Michigan (no 2ndary received, I have family there and lived in MI and served as appointee there for 2 years)
5. University of AZ - Tucson (no 2ndary received --- born in Tucson, have a house there)

These are other schools I am thinking of applying to:

- Drexel
- W. Michigan
- Quinnipiac
- U of AZ - Phoenix
- Loma Linda
- Tulane (I went here for undergrad before transferring to Wash U -- wonder if this is good or bad thing? also thinking its reallllly expensive..)
- Creighton
- Loyola Chicago
- Rush
- Iowa Carver
- Wake Forest
- Thomas Jefferson

Can you give me your thoughts on where to apply please!? Hopefully, my unique story will get me through to a 2nd look at my GPA/MCAT over the past few years, along with my volunteering.

While I would be grateful and honored to become any sort of practicing physician, I am only applying to MD schools this year -- mostly because I have FAP and my #1 choice is Mizzou due to in-state tuition. I figured since I already did AMCAS I may as well apply to several other schools using FAP (though at this point I will apply to more than 14 schools I think).

Your thoughts on schools that will award me re-invention and upwards stats would be most appreciated!!

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure you will receive useful advice on SDN but I suggest you also email/call the admission office of all the schools you are interested in and discuss your unique situation. Better yet, visit some of these admissions offices if you can and have them read your app if they agree to it. Some posters might tell you yes, others may say no way jose....and both could be dead wrong. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: 1 users
You could add Drexel, Western Michigan, Quinnipiac, Tulane, Creighton, Loyola, Rush and Jefferson but do it this week. Other schools worth considering would be Hofstra, New York Medical College, Albany, Temple, and GW. Applying is the only way you will find out if you will be interviewed. In the meantime work on increasing your GPA through the courses you are currently taking and take some more courses in the spring semester. If you are not accepted this year then reevaluate your situation next summer. Consider applying to 15 or more DO schools next summer if you are not accepted to MD this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are likely wasting your money with amcas and a 2.7 gpa, sorry.

If i'm right, do some retakes and apply DO

Reactions: 3 users
I would add DO schools. it's nearly impossible to get in md with a sub 3.0 GPA without an SMP

Do you have the MSAR online? If not get it now. Then spend some time and figure our where you might have a chance with your stats. I'm not sure but you will probably be auto screened at most MD schools with your low GPA.

You're a rock star now, Hammer, and there are schools that value reinvention.

My list

- Drexel
- W. Michigan
- Quinnipiac
- - Loma Linda
- Tulane
- Creighton
- Loyola Chicago
- Rush
- Wake Forest
- Thomas Jefferson
Vanderbilt
U Miami
NYMC
Albany
BU
Tufts
Case
Wayne State
Rush
Wake Forest
Temple
All other new MD schools.
Any DO school. Start with AT Still.

Arizona has a cutoff ugpa of 3.0, which they will not send you a secondary if you have less.

I'm sure you will receive useful advice on SDN but I suggest you also email/call the admission office of all the schools you are interested in and discuss your unique situation. Better yet, visit some of these admissions offices if you can and have them read your app if they agree to it. Some posters might tell you yes, others may say no way jose....and both could be dead wrong. Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the reply Skip! I have talked to admissions offices at 6 of the schools I mentioned and called a few more today after reading the responses on this thread.

You could add Drexel, Western Michigan, Quinnipiac, Tulane, Creighton, Loyola, Rush and Jefferson but do it this week. Other schools worth considering would be Hofstra, New York Medical College, Albany, Temple, and GW. Applying is the only way you will find out if you will be interviewed. In the meantime work on increasing your GPA through the courses you are currently taking and take some more courses in the spring semester. If you are not accepted this year then reevaluate your situation next summer. Consider applying to 15 or more DO schools next summer if you are not accepted to MD this year.

Thanks for the reply Faha! I have added all the schools from my original list, as well as Hofstra, NYMC, Albany, Temple, but not GW. I think you're absolutely right that applying is the only way I'll find out...so apply I shall! I will heed your advice about increasing my GPA currently and in the spring should I not gain admission. I also wholeheartedly agree about applying broadly and early to both MD and DO next summer!

I think you are likely wasting your money with amcas and a 2.7 gpa, sorry.

If i'm right, do some retakes and apply DO

I would add DO schools. it's nearly impossible to get in md with a sub 3.0 GPA without an SMP

Thank you both for the replies.. As I mentioned in the OP, I will apply DO, but just not sure if I will this year...by the time I finish secondaries and stuff, I'm just not sure if I'll have enough time to do AACOMAS as well. Plus, I haven't shadowed a DO yet. If I do get time, however, I will certainly add DO. If you have any suggestions on further allopathic schools this cycle, I'm all ears!

Do you have the MSAR online? If not get it now. Then spend some time and figure our where you might have a chance with your stats. I'm not sure but you will probably be auto screened at most MD schools with your low GPA.
I agree Goro but how does he circumvent the auto screen?!?

Thanks for the reply candbgirl, as I mentioned in my long OP, I do have MSAR, and I realize I'm under the 10% for literally every school... however, with my upward trend and MCAT, I hope some schools who value the holistic review process will give me the benefit of the doubt. I'm not sure how the auto screen works, however I was pleasantly surprised to receive secondaries to all the schools I had applied to as of this morning. (I woke up to secondaries from OU and MU!)

Arizona has a cutoff ugpa of 3.0, which they will not send you a secondary if you have less.

Thanks for the reply, however I received secondaries today from both UA Tucson and UA Phx. Please be careful telling people they will not receive secondaries, just in case they choose not to apply there based on your information (as I probably would have if I'd seen your comment before applying to UA!)

You're a rock star now, Hammer, and there are schools that value reinvention.

My list

- Drexel
- W. Michigan
- Quinnipiac
- - Loma Linda
- Tulane
- Creighton
- Loyola Chicago
- Rush
- Wake Forest
- Thomas Jefferson
Vanderbilt
U Miami
NYMC
Albany
BU
Tufts
Case
Wayne State
Rush
Wake Forest
Temple
All other new MD schools.
Any DO school. Start with AT Still.

Thank you very, very much Goro!!! :) You were the first solid advice giver I'd gotten when I started seriously on this journey two years ago in another thread on this forum (at that point, my sGPA was a 1.77 instead of the current 2.87!) I sincerely appreciate your time advising me (and others) and your continuing encouragement! I am happy to have taken all your advice, particularly about waiting to take the MCAT until I was ready (as you advised me in your last post to me on the other thread).

Based on your suggestions, I have added Wayne State, Rush, Vanderbilt, and Albany. I am holding off on Case, BU, Tufts, and UMiami until I look into their admissions home pages a little more and to see how many secondaries I receive this week... I want to make sure I am able to return all my secondaries in a timely fashion and spending adequate time on each secondary.

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I am worried about finishing all my AMCAS apps before applying DO. I understand the DO cycle is longer so I hope to finish or at least make good headway on my AMCAS apps before starting the whole rigamarole again with AACOMAS. Also, I am worried that I haven't shadowed a DO yet... I will definitely start with AT Still Kirksville and KCOMB.

Sounds like a plan!

Thank you very, very much Goro!!! :) You were the first solid advice giver I'd gotten when I started seriously on this journey two years ago in another thread on this forum (at that point, my sGPA was a 1.77 instead of the current 2.87!) I sincerely appreciate your time advising me (and others) and your continuing encouragement! I am happy to have taken all your advice, particularly about waiting to take the MCAT until I was ready (as you advised me in your last post to me on the other thread).

Based on your suggestions, I have added Wayne State, Rush, Vanderbilt, and Albany. I am holding off on Case, BU, Tufts, and UMiami until I look into their admissions home pages a little more and to see how many secondaries I receive this week... I want to make sure I am able to return all my secondaries in a timely fashion and spending adequate time on each secondary.

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I am worried about finishing all my AMCAS apps before applying DO. I understand the DO cycle is longer so I hope to finish or at least make good headway on my AMCAS apps before starting the whole rigamarole again with AACOMAS. Also, I am worried that I haven't shadowed a DO yet... I will definitely start with AT Still Kirksville and KCOMB.

Awesome job on your MCAT Hammer!!!
Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
AS a bit of an update, I have applied to about 28 schools where my applications are complete and Still have to do the 2ndary for one school.

I was wondering if its too late to apply to more schools? I am thinking of adding Wake Forest and maybe U. of Toledo... does anyone have any thoughts?

@Catalystik I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on whether it is too late to apply to more schools (reasonably), and any thoughts you have on my app and ongoing tips this cycle? Thanks!

AS a bit of an update, I have applied to about 28 schools where my applications are complete and Still have to do the 2ndary for one school.

I was wondering if its too late to apply to more schools? I am thinking of adding Wake Forest and maybe U. of Toledo... does anyone have any thoughts?

@Catalystik I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on whether it is too late to apply to more schools (reasonably), and any thoughts you have on my app and ongoing tips this cycle? Thanks!
Other than your GPAs, you have a compelling application. Your challenge is to get a pair of human eyeballs to check you out, rather than have all chance of consideration evaporate due to automated computer cutoffs. Adding more schools this late in the game using the "Spray and Pray" approach won't enhance your odds. Instead, you should be calling schools to ask what their automatic cut offs are if it isn't explicitly stated on the website, before you consider adding them to your list.

Is it too late to add more schools? Well, you've asked me my definition of "late" before, and you're past that point. This doesn't mean it's impossible that a newly-added school would consider you, just that the odds are not in your favor.

Other than your GPAs, you have a compelling application. Your challenge is to get a pair of human eyeballs to check you out, rather than have all chance of consideration evaporate due to automated computer cutoffs. Adding more schools this late in the game using the "Spray and Pray" approach won't enhance your odds. Instead, you should be calling schools to ask what their automatic cut offs are if it isn't explicitly stated on the website, before you consider adding them to your list.

Is it too late to add more schools? Well, you've asked me my definition of "late" before, and you're past that point. This doesn't mean it's impossible that a newly-added school would consider you, just that the odds are not in your favor.

Thank you for your input, @Catalystik . Yes, you're correct and if I remember correctly, your definition of "late" started after 9/1 and extended into "very late" past 10/1. In any case, thank you for giving me your opinion again (and sorry if I expressed some of the infamous SDN pre-med neuroticism... :oops: [I just saw a slew of II's for my state school and I wasn't one of them so kind of freaked out...]) I further appreciate your nuanced view that a newly-added school may consider me, despite the (even worse) odds. I think I will go ahead and add a few more schools... perhaps Wake Forest and U Toledo to start.

Regarding your point about talking to admissions officers, I have emailed/called several admissions offices. Most all of them gave me the spiel that they review the holistic application. Ironically, one of the schools I did not call was Rush U. in Chicago. After they sent me the secondary which stated that a 3.0 was needed for consideration, I emailed their admissions office which sent me a rather terse email saying that it was basically pointless to fill out a secondary. (grr!) I have been pleasantly surprised by the Arizonas and Wayne State, which gave me a post-screening secondary.

Since I've only been complete at my earliest school since, like, 9/6, I am sure it would be premature to do any sort of inquiry into the schools to which I have already applied. If you have any other advice or tips for this cycle, I would certainly appreciate them.

If anyone else has thoughts about other schools to add, I'm all ears. (And again, apologize for the SDN pre-med neuroticism..I realize 28 schools is already a lot to have applied to).

Since I've only been complete at my earliest school since, like, 9/6, I am sure it would be premature to do any sort of inquiry into the schools to which I have already applied.
Yes, it would.
If you have any other advice or tips for this cycle, I would certainly appreciate them.
Take some deep breaths and do what you can to protect your stomach lining. Be amazed if you hear positive news before January, as many schools "cherry pick" the most promising applications and reserve those that will need in-depth review for later time.

Put your energy into beginning the DO application process and approach it with the same enthusiasm that you've displayed here. Review the CIB carefully for GPA cut offs, as they can often be found there.

Yes, it would.Take some deep breaths and do what you can to protect your stomach lining. Be amazed if you hear positive news before January, as many schools "cherry pick" the most promising applications and reserve those that will need in-depth review for later time.

Put your energy into beginning the DO application process and approach it with the same enthusiasm that you've displayed here. Review the CIB carefully for GPA cut offs, as they can often be found there.

Hi @Catalystik I wanted to inform you (and other similarly awesome SDN Advisors such as @Goro and @gyngyn) that I received some amazing news today.
I was extremely surprised to receive an II from my state school this afternoon!! :soexcited:

I just about freaked out and called my parents and a few good friends (which is why I was late to Anatomy study group, but I digress..) -- and I am still really surprised!!

I got an email saying I was complete 12 days ago and received an II today for December 16! (For a reference,another applicant was complete August 14 and got an II for Nov. 24)

I definitely wanted to share the news because I'm so surprised, elated, honored, humbled, and more! -- but also b/c I'm so confused! :confused: Do you have any idea as to what this could "mean" if anything? (Let me also state that I went to a few informational sessions here over the past few years and have met one-on-one with the Director of Admissions and Dean of Admissions...neither of whom have a vote on the AdCom; and spoken with a few AdCom faculty members).

Is this just a really lucky fluke? I don't care, and I'm not about over-analyzing it, but I am just really surprised. I imagine there are/were plenty of great candidates with higher LizzyM scores complete well before me, yet somehow I was so lucky to get an interview relatively early. I mean based off your post and other wisdom, I was ready to not hear anything for 4-6 months..heck I renewed my lease for another year just yesterday!

If you or anyone else has any more thoughts/tips/cautionary tales, I'm very happy to listen, as taking everyone's advice really has worked out well for me. In the mean time I am planning on continuing to act like I will be a re-applicant next year (AKA continuing my activities and adding more if possible), and trying to lose a few pounds before December ( I have lost about 60 pounds over the last 2-3 years, and could still stand to lose 20-30 more, currently at 25% body fat with good muscle)

Wow, still reeling from this amazing news... Now off to pack (I'm going to TX tomorrow to be a best man at a wedding this weekend -- I'm just lucky all around it seems!) Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations!!!! That awesome PS got you through the door so they could see all the hard work you've done over the last few years!Best of luck to you hammer! I hope you hear more good news throughout the cycle!!! :)

Congratulations!!!! That awesome PS got you through the door so they could see all the hard work you've done over the last few years!Best of luck to you hammer! I hope you hear more good news throughout the cycle!!! :)

Aww Thanks TW!! You're the one with the great PS you ever optimistic pediatric critical care nurse you ;) But thanks for your continued support and optimism, I feel the same way towards you!! I always check when you post on the MI school forums, My fingers are definitely crossed for you TW :)

(In alphabetical order) @Catalystik @Goro @gyngyn

I just have to share this amazing news: I was accepted to medical school today!! At my #1 choice school!! (MO - Columbia!!!)

3 days after my interview!! I was in lab today working and received a phone call from the area code of the school....my heart started racing and I went to the break room...It was the director of admissions, the dean of medical education, and the head of the office of diversity and inclusion --- "We really enjoyed you coming on Tuesday and liked what you had to say, I just wanted to be the first to tell you, well we usually don't call candidates, we usually just e-mail them -- oh, you've been accepted, and --" --- And that is where I started freaking out saying Thank You and OMG over and over, while they various important people on the other end laughed. It was an amazing moment, and the two random scientists in the break room whom I never work with were like "so....what just happened.." and yeah, accepted to medical school!!

I just have to say how amazing a feeling it is to be accepted...esepcially after my first interview and only 3 days later...I am just so grateful and happy and surprised. I really could not have done it without so many people on SDN, and very specifically advice from you three AdComs so THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

And to, @Faha @sb247 @swimmer125 @candbgirl -- just wanted to tag you to let you know I did make it in after all!!

Feeling very blessed and wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas this year...I certainly have a lot to be celebrating !! :);)

:soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users
SUPER!! In four years, you're going to be a doctor! I am very proud of you.

Looks like we'll have to add U MO to the list of schools that value reinvention...but are you a MO resident?

Start boning up on Anatomy over the summer. In the mean time, have a good safe holiday. You've earned it.

QUOTE="HinduHammer, post: 16007840, member: 563790"](In alphabetical order) @Catalystik @Goro @gyngyn

I just have to share this amazing news: I was accepted to medical school today!! At my #1 choice school!! (MO - Columbia!!!)

3 days after my interview!! I was in lab today working and received a phone call from the area code of the school....my heart started racing and I went to the break room...It was the director of admissions, the dean of medical education, and the head of the office of diversity and inclusion --- "We really enjoyed you coming on Tuesday and liked what you had to say, I just wanted to be the first to tell you, well we usually don't call candidates, we usually just e-mail them -- oh, you've been accepted, and --" --- And that is where I started freaking out saying Thank You and OMG over and over, while they various important people on the other end laughed. It was an amazing moment, and the two random scientists in the break room whom I never work with were like "so....what just happened.." and yeah, accepted to medical school!!

I just have to say how amazing a feeling it is to be accepted...esepcially after my first interview and only 3 days later...I am just so grateful and happy and surprised. I really could not have done it without so many people on SDN, and very specifically advice from you three AdComs so THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

And to, @Faha @sb247 @swimmer125 @candbgirl -- just wanted to tag you to let you know I did make it in after all!!

Feeling very blessed and wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas this year...I certainly have a lot to be celebrating !! :);)

:soexcited:[/QUOTE]

SUPER!! In four years, you're going to be a doctor! I am very proud of you.

Looks like we'll have to add U MO to the list of schools that value reinvention...but are you a MO resident?

Start boning up on Anatomy over the summer. In the mean time, have a good safe holiday. You've earned it.

Thanks Goro!! Yes, I'm a MO resident. While MO does value non-traditional students, they have a large in-state preference!

Congrats!! Now it's time to celebrate! :)

Congratulations ! Now you can relax for the holiday season and the remainder of the application season. That one acceptance is all you need.