School List Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maeby Funke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.71 sGPA, 3.63 cGPA (AACOMAS), 3.44 sGPA, 3.27 cGPA (AAMCAS)
MCAT: 34 (12 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)
State of residence: OR
White, female

I also have a strong upward trend with my GPA - I received straight A's my last 7 quarters, and graduated Magna Cum Laude from the school I transferred to after sophomore year.

ECs:
Hospital volunteer – 170 hours
Emergency dept. scribe/ scribe trainer – 1 year
Volunteer trip abroad– 3 weeks + 8 months of fundraising/planning
Short term shadowing (variety of specialties) – 60 hours
Miscellaneous non-medical volunteering – 50 hours
Cross-country team – 2 seasons, continue to run/race as a hobby
Held non-medical related part time jobs throughout most of undergrad

I'm using the committee letter service for recommendations. I expect them to be pretty strong, but I only have a physician letter from an MD; no DO letter.

DO List
- AZCOM
- CCOM
- PCOM
- DMU-COM
- NYCOM
- UMDNJ-SOM
- COMP
- COMP-NW

MD List
- OHSU
- Albany
- Drexel
- Loyola
- Rosalind Franklin
- Rush
- Tufts
- Tulane
- University of Arizona - Phoenix

I feel like this is a lot, and I'd like to narrow it down a bit. Any suggestions on schools to remove/add?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Concerning the DO side: Can you describe your interest in osteopathic medicine? What are your motivations to apply to DO schools?

Concerning the DO side: Can you describe your interest in osteopathic medicine? What are your motivations to apply to DO schools?

I had an awesome DO as a PCP for a few years while I was going through health issues, and that played a role in my decision to consider med school. Initially I was only going to apply DO, but realizing how similar to two paths are, I don't have a particularly strong preference one way or the other.

GPA: 3.71 sGPA, 3.63 cGPA (AACOMAS), 3.44 sGPA, 3.27 cGPA (AAMCAS)
MCAT: 34 (12 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)
State of residence: OR
White, female

I also have a strong upward trend with my GPA - I received straight A's my last 7 quarters, and graduated Magna Cum Laude from the school I transferred to after sophomore year.

ECs:
Hospital volunteer – 170 hours
Emergency dept. scribe/ scribe trainer – 1 year
Volunteer trip abroad– 3 weeks + 8 months of fundraising/planning
Short term shadowing (variety of specialties) – 60 hours
Miscellaneous non-medical volunteering – 50 hours
Cross-country team – 2 seasons, continue to run/race as a hobby
Held non-medical related part time jobs throughout most of undergrad

I'm using the committee letter service for recommendations. I expect them to be pretty strong, but I only have a physician letter from an MD; no DO letter.

DO List
- AZCOM
- CCOM
- PCOM
- DMU-COM
- NYCOM
- UMDNJ-SOM
- COMP
- COMP-NW

MD List
- OHSU
- Albany
- Drexel
- Loyola
- Rosalind Franklin
- Rush
- Tufts
- Tulane
- University of Arizona - Phoenix

I feel like this is a lot, and I'd like to narrow it down a bit. Any suggestions on schools to remove/add?
I think you should work on your MD list. Most of the schools on your list get +8000 applications. I think you have a good chance at MD if you apply to more schools and also less "popular" ones. For example, I would add Hofstra (heavy focus on MCAT), FIU (doesn't get too many OS applicants), UCF, and a couple more in the Mid-West.