School list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kohawk1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to narrow down my list of schools because I would like to submit my app ASAP. I was wondering if any of you have any good/bad comments about these schools, if they're not OOS friendly, etc. Also if you have any that you think I should add, that would be great too. I'm hoping to narrow it down to around 7 or 8 schools.

About me:
Az resident, but have been doing undergrad in Iowa
DAT scores: AA: 22 TS:21 PAT:20 RC:25 QR:17 BIO:21 GC:21 OC:24
GPA: cGPA: 3.53 sGPA: 3.37
NCAA athlete, hold 4 leadership positions on campus, lots of volunteering
~30 hours of shadowing
I'm interested in general practice with a great clinical experience

Schools (somewhat in order of importance):
Iowa
Creighton
SIU
Minnesota
MWU-AZ
Colorado
Indiana
Marquette
Oregon
MWU-IL
UMKC
Nebraska
Louisville
Open to suggestions

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't SIU a wild tuition school? Like $80K/yr tuition? Make sure 30 hours is enough for all of those schools. Oregon, for example, wants 50.

Iowa and SIU are both not OOS friendly. SIU didn't accept anyone from outside IL last year. Also, umkc is only oos friendly to certain states and AZ isn't one of them. Hope this saves you $270!

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't SIU a wild tuition school? Like $80K/yr tuition? Make sure 30 hours is enough for all of those schools. Oregon, for example, wants 50.

Just read the fine print on SIU's website. Ouch. Do you think schools would consider simulation clinics as "shadowing" even though on AADSAS my simulation hours are listed under "Academic Enrichment Programs"?

Iowa and SIU are both not OOS friendly. SIU didn't accept anyone from outside IL last year. Also, umkc is only oos friendly to certain states and AZ isn't one of them. Hope this saves you $270!
Yeah it looks like SIU is a goner. I'm definitely going for Iowa because its my top choice. UMKC wasnt really super important to me so I dont mind giving that one the axe too.

Any recommendations?
Thanks!!

Bump

I've added a few (bolded). Any more suggestions? Otherwise I'll just let this thread die.

Iowa
Creighton
Minnesota
MWU-AZ
Colorado
Indiana
Marquette
Oregon
UNLV
Ohio State
Michigan
Case Western
Louisville
MWU-IL

OHSU favors in-state heavily. No love for Mercy or Temple? 2 of the top clinical schools, both OOS friendly.

OHSU favors in-state heavily. No love for Mercy or Temple? 2 of the top clinical schools, both OOS friendly.

Because he's AZ, OHSU is almost a sure interview, especially with his stats. It's just the shadowing thing.

Because he's AZ, OHSU is almost a sure interview, especially with his stats. It's just the shadowing thing.

I'm now closer to 50 on the shadowing thing, but do you think they'll take into consideration the 18 hours I have from a simulation clinic? Not really shadowing, but dental experience nevertheless.

Shoot. Should have clarified, I meant Ohio State not Oregon.

Ohio State strongly prefers in state and not so OOS friendly. I would add Temple and/or Mercy in their place.