MD & DO School list? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yourigagari

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, hope you're all doing great.

Note :

I have taken 3 gap years (hope that’s not a bad thing) and applying this year :)

STATS

SCHOOL: Small liberal arts college

Major: traditional science major

OVERALL GPA: 3.9

sGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 518

RESEARCH:

3 years in 3 different subjects. No pub, multiple poster sessions and oral presentations locally and nationally

CLINICAL

Scribe: 2000h

CNA: 1.5 year part time

VOLUNTEERING/NON-CLINICAL

Company that helps refugees (work in front of a computer) 200h

Habitat for humanity (construction) 200h

OTHERS:

TA in couple science classes for multiple semesters

Tutor in math and science on YouTube (free) and in college (paid).

I’m an athlete (not in college).

LIST: (feel like my list is too risky)

Harvard

UMN – TC

Chicago

WU St. Louis

Duke

Columbia

Vanderbilt

Mayo

JHU

Stanford

Yale

Baylor

Members don't see this ad.

How many reaches you want to apply to should be dependent on how many schools you want to apply to in general

The way I would go about it is no matter what you apply to your state programs and around something like 6-8 lower tier/medium tier type programs give or take. Lower tier could be something like Jefferson or Wake Forest or Miami or Saint Louis(check schools 90th percentile MCATs). Medium tier could be something like Rochester, Einstein etc.

None of the schools on your list are unreasonable. It's just you need a "buffer" of sorts from non top 20 programs and your state schools to go along with them. If you are a Minnesota resident(and I'm guessing that's why you are applying there) maybe give yourself a little more insurance by applying to a few more non top 20 programs as U of Minn only has 1 state program and its pretty competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
How many reaches you want to apply to should be dependent on how many schools you want to apply to in general

The way I would go about it is no matter what you apply to your state programs and around something like 6-8 lower tier/medium tier type programs give or take. Lower tier could be something like Jefferson or Wake Forest or Miami or Saint Louis(check schools 90th percentile MCATs). Medium tier could be something like Rochester, Einstein etc.

None of the schools on your list are unreasonable. It's just you need a "buffer" of sorts from non top 20 programs and your state schools to go along with them. If you are a Minnesota resident(and I'm guessing that's why you are applying there) maybe give yourself a little more insurance by applying to a few more non top 20 programs as U of Minn only has 1 state program and its pretty competitive.
YES! I'm from Minnesota (I hope they'll take me :D ). I will look for other schools.
I am planning to apply to 20 schools.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
I'm interested to know what schools you think she should apply to? Struggling with the buffer myself :D @Goro

I recommend these:

Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U Colorado
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson
U IA
UCSF
UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UCR (IF you’re from the Inland Empire)
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
Your state school

Hello, hope you're all doing great.

Note :

I have taken 3 gap years (hope that’s not a bad thing) and applying this year :)

STATS

SCHOOL: Small liberal arts college

Major: traditional science major

OVERALL GPA: 3.9

sGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 518

RESEARCH:

3 years in 3 different subjects. No pub, multiple poster sessions and oral presentations locally and nationally

CLINICAL

Scribe: 2000h

CNA: 1.5 year part time

VOLUNTEERING/NON-CLINICAL

Company that helps refugees (work in front of a computer) 200h

Habitat for humanity (construction) 200h

OTHERS:

TA in couple science classes for multiple semesters

Tutor in math and science on YouTube (free) and in college (paid).

I’m an athlete (not in college).

LIST: (feel like my list is too risky)

Harvard

UMN – TC

Chicago

WU St. Louis

Duke

Columbia

Vanderbilt

Mayo

JHU

Stanford

Yale

Baylor

I recommend these:

Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U Colorado
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson
U IA
UCSF
UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UCR (IF you’re from the Inland Empire)
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt