School Neuropsychology Post-Graduate Certification Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QDKNR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the School Neuropsychology Post-Graduate Certification Program through Kids, Inc. in Texas? I don't know anyone who has completed it..... anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is completely out of scope and dangerous to the public. If someone wants to be a neuropsychologist they need to go through the proper training, which that "certificate" is not.

There was a thread or two on here about it in the past, so I'd encourage you do a search to read up about it.

If you were in any form of legal interaction (e.g., malpractice suit, deposition, 504 plan, IEP, etc), would you really want your credentials to have "Kids, Inc" as your proof that you were qualified?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a huge difference between how educational assessment SHOULD occur in schools (e.g. having a real neuropsychologist completing neuropsych assessments) and how it usually is done. The typical status quo is that school psychologists with only a master's degree are asked to assess all children who may need services, and they already use some "neuropsychological" assessments such as most of those covered in the Kids Inc program. In my view, the Kids, Inc program is basically a continuing ed program intended to help school psychologists improve their competence in neuropsych assessments. I agree that their reports would probably not stand up to those of fully trained neuropsychologist in court, but they will probably be better reports than they are producing now. In addition, as you probably know, a fully trained clinical neuropsychologist could not be hired as a school psychologist in most states because school psychologists must have at least a master's degree in school psychology. Districts can contract out neuropsych assessments, but given funding limitations, they will typically only do that if a parent successfully pushes for the district to provide an independent assessment, which is difficult.

In my view, the Kids, Inc program is basically a continuing ed program intended to help school psychologists improve their competence in neuropsych assessments. I agree that their reports would probably not stand up to those of fully trained neuropsychologist in court, but they will probably be better reports than they are producing now.

I know a school psychologist (Master's Level) who has completed the Kids, Inc program, and he described the purpose of this program exactly like the above quote did. I think that the program is good to give practicing school psychologists an additional degree of knowledge concerning neuropsych assessments (obviously no where near clinical neuropsych level of knowledge on the topic), but this program should not encourage school psychologists to call themselves "school neuropsychologists".

Reactions: 1 user
I know a school psychologist (Master's Level) who has completed the Kids, Inc program, and he described the purpose of this program exactly like the above quote did. I think that the program is good to give practicing school psychologists an additional degree of knowledge concerning neuropsych assessments (obviously no where near clinical neuropsych level of knowledge on the topic), but this program should not encourage school psychologists to call themselves "school neuropsychologists".

Knowledge to read a neuropsychological assessment and knowledge to competently administer and interpret neuropsychological assessments are completely different things. A non-doctorally trained, non-fellowship trained clinician should not be playing neuropsychologist because they don' know what they don't know. Doctorally-trained psychologists shouldn't do it either, but unfortunately that doesn't stop some unqualified clinicians to try to do it anyway.

Someone calling themselves a "school neuropsychologist" is problematic, but someone conducting neuropsychological assessments without proper training is unethical and possibly dangerous to any child given the wrong diagnosis (e.g. bipolar v. ADHD, Autism v. Schizotypical, etc). Having someone trained "no where near clinical neuropsych level" is straight up dangerous. Navigating between dozens of diagnoses with vastly different treatment approaches is difficult for competently trained neuropsychologists, let alone non-doctorally trained non-fellowship trained clinicians cobbling together some tests and pretending they know what is going on.

Last edited:
Knowledge to read a neuropsychological assessment and knowledge to competently administer and interpret neuropsychological assessments are completely different things. A non-doctorally trained, non-fellowship trained clinician should not be playing neuropsychologist because they don' know what they don't know. Doctorally-trained psychologists shouldn't do it either, but unfortunately that doesn't stop some unqualified clinicians to try to do it anyway.

Someone calling themselves a "school neuropsychologist" is problematic, but someone conducting neuropsychological assessments without proper training is unethical and possibly dangerous to any child given the wrong diagnosis (e.g. bipolar v. ADHD, Autism v. Schizotypical, etc). Having someone trained "no where near clinical neuropsych level" is straight up dangerous. Navigating between dozens of diagnoses with vastly different treatment approaches is difficult for competently trained neuropsychologists, let alone non-doctorally trained non-fellowship trained clinicians cobbling together some tests and pretending they know what is going on.

I agree. Nonetheless, masters level school psychologists with no additional training are doing it everyday. I think every knowledgable parent whose child has had an incompetent school district evaluation would appreciate your perspective. Unfortunately most parents have no idea and those who do may or may not be able to afford a better alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk