'School Psychiatry'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oracle2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iv'e seen this topic on some psych department sites. This may be a silly question, but do psychiatrists ever have relationships with school districts in the way that psychologists do? I'm interested in education and development issues... in my hometown there is a district psychologist that does a lot of this work.

Members don't see this ad.

There could be, IMHO, enough merit for a college/university to have a psychiatrist on-hand for consultation due to the inevitable first-breaks and drug use that happen on campuses.

When it comes to schools, I'm assuming you don't mean colleges. In that case the meds we prescribe aren't as effective and could be more dangerous. SSRIs, for example, in children have a higher risk of causing suicide. Their benefits are less in children compared to adults. Most of the interventions are psychosocial.

I'd rather have a child-psychiatrist chime in on this but the above are my thoughts. Child-psychiatrists often develop some knowledge of the local schools.